Silent real estate agents

Am becoming paranoid! I have emailed quite a few RE Agents in Brissy area informing them that we are heading in their direction in April and of our intentions of buying an IP, (have gone thru web based property sites and thru the franchised agents main website). Yet to receive a return email except for 1 so a return rate of 1/15. Do they want my business or do I sound like a scam when asking such questions as
- Brick construction preferred
- Tenanted with good rental history
- Well maintained
- Close to railway station/transport
also included price range which is >160k, which may have put them off?
I though the Darwin service industry was bad but I cannot believe that I have had no replies from the RE based search sites, especially after inquiring about listed properties and letting them know we will be in Brisbane with a blank cheque (so to speak).
Asking to much or not enough?
:confused:

Hi Philby,

I had the same problem, very few replies to my emails, I decided to ring them instead. I have been informed, by several RE agents, that it is a sellers market in certain areas of brisbane.

What areas are looking at in Brisbane? Maybe Asy or Kevin Hockey may be of help.

Regards,

John

When I was OS trying to set up with an agent for my return or merely to enquire about a property I emailed loads of agents. I only ever had one reply.

Maybe they get a lot of tyre kickers this way or perhaps they don't fully use the internet yet I don't know:D

Best idea is to call.

Good luck,

/me can't resist...

ME ME ME ME ME!!! I AM HERE!!!

I answer my email... :)

But...

I don't have ANY free standing homes under 160k.

That might be your stumbling block (although they should still email you back and let you know).

The 'cheapest' house we have is 189k, but it has
- Brick construction
- Tenanted with good rental history (195/wk)
- Well maintained
- Close to railway station/transport
- Older home, approx 18yrs.

I just wanted to post this to let you know what's around my area. This is indicative of an older 3br home in the area.

This is not intended as a sales post, this home has interest in it and may be gone this afternoon. I am not intending for it to be purchased by a forumite, and as I said, I offer it only as an example.

hope this helps,

asy :D

Yeah I considered you Asy but not in my target area, Beenleigh/Logan, yeah I hear the snickering(lol) but first IP and we are limited by funds available first time around.
Maybe the second one eh?
But I still cannot understand how people are ignorant and do not have the etiquette or good ole fashion manners to reply. E Business is at their fingertips, laziness or ?.
Thats my anger vented for the day.
Anyway have changed our focus to north of Brisbane because we got a reply from an agent up that way, so will start there and work back down to Beenleigh if we cannot find anything north.
:p

I have had 3 or 4 agents ring me in Adelaide to see if I want to sell in the Labrador and Logan area.

Looks like it is a sellers market. Agents will spend 4 out of 5 days finding listings in some areas. Or should that be 6 out of 7 days?

This is very frustrating for interstate buyers as all the properties lined up may be sold a couple of days before you get there.

Stirling

G'day all,

Speaking with an old friend (RE agent) in Logan about three weeks back. He has been blown away by the current boom in Logan. He goes "way back" in RE and was reminiscing about every boom he'd seen - "60% growth, then - that's it" - but THIS one is something else !!!!!

By the way, you can STILL buy way under $160k in Logan (but don't wait too long .... (me, wishful thinking...) My wealth is NOT in Logan, but my home is - but not for too much longer, all things considered.

Still, there are some who can only ever afford to buy/rent in areas like Logan - and, to be fair, we have had very few "problems" in that area (we've NEVER been broken into, and had very few neighbour problems over an 18 year stay there). It's certainly not all bad!!!! But, choose your area!!!!

And, even with today's prices, rental returns are STILL 7% or thereabouts - so, if you had got in a year ago, things would be looking pretty good right about now (right, Tibor???).

Still, if you're looking in Logan, there will be "some" areas where you can buy for less than $160k - and yields should be reasonable - but, DON'T expect too much more Capital Growth.

Re "Gold Coast Corridor" - something that STILL amazes me is that the West side of the Freeway just "doesn't make it" - there are some really nice suburbs, but because they are the Western side, the prices remain MUCH lower than the Eastern side. Could be some "good pickin's" there, imho. Good luck with your search,

Regards,

If my office was in the category of the 14 that didn't reply please let me know. I have systems in place to make sure that doesn't happen, if it's letting me down I'd like to know.

Unfortunately though I don't get anything brick or under 160k. Strathpine would be closest to me in that price range.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Kev, rest assured you were not one of the "14", from what I have seen from your involvement in the forum I would have been well looked after and thanks for the tip, I will consider if I fail to find a good IP in my target zone(s)

Les, thanks too for your thoughts, I have still not abandoned my focus on Loagn area, just disillusioned with RE agents in the area

Dear Philby,

Buyers market and sellers market.

The funny thing is that most people that a realestate agent talks with and spends time with will NEVER purchase any property from them. Different to other industries where you have a greater chance of getting a sale and so a greater return on the energies invested in the person. To get a customer that purchases two or more properties from the same agent is exceptional.

With this in mind what makes a great agent?

-Can they juggle 400 potential customers?
-Do they have a system whereby they can accurately record their customers requirements? (Do they use a customer relationship program or rely on a filofax/memory???)
-How do they communicate? Are they e-mail literate or do they prefer in person and by phone?
-Are they a great agent or just a B-Grade one who will get out of the industry when market conditions change?
-Are there too many fish in the sea for them at the moment meaning they are too full and not hungry enough to secure that next customer? When the tide goes out will agents be hungry then?

I am not endorsing bad service. Never have and never will. Personally I find that my best property manager has a permanent e-mail connection and gives myself great feedback and service when I need it quickly responding to e-mails. For my best agent to buy properties from however he is not a computer person. He always deals on the phone or in person. I don't even think he has a computer on his desk.

Next step I think is to get on the phone and start talking to agents in the area. Get them to give you some further feedback on key information you need about the area and currently what they have available. This information you will use in finetuning your requirements before you meet them.

Some thoughts...............

Cheers,

Sunstone.

As always you come up with the eloquent response, thanks Sunstone. its exactly what I am doing, using the old technology to get some clear answers as we get closer to flying down to Brisbane.

The annoying thing is if RE agents are "net savvy" why not use it to its full potential or lose a possible sale. Or is it a tool that they cannot use properly and consider it a lazy way to advertise. One lost customer means nothing?

Anyway have a good weekend.

I have experienced the same frustration with RE agents not replying to emails. I realise that the job takes them out of the office a lot, and that they're not sitting in front of a computer terminal just hanging out for my messages.

BUT because I am overseas a lot, email is the best way to make enquiries. How do I let them know that I'm not just a tyre kicker? Little do they know that they've just missed out on being part of my latest buying spree.

I have come to the conclusion that most emails that don't give a telephone number are ignored - and that sucks!!

I have a wonderful PM who stays in touch by email at all times. Perhaps I'm demanding, but my situation necessitates this - and they are reaping the benefits too.

There are keen, organised RE agents out there who are au fait with modern technology and who know that a pleasant non-pushy (though possibly unfruitful) experience now will stay in the mind. I'll be heading straight for them when I'm ready to purchase again - by email!!

Good luck! Cheers,

Back