Single Bedroom Dwellings in WA?

Needless to say, I was pretty excited about the new Rcode changes which bring the maximum internal area to 70sqm. I just think it would be possibly to design something to use that space really well.

does the rcode for this dwelling type restrict it to 1 bedroom? In NSW our "granny flat" code is 60sqm but no restrictions on bedrooms or anything.

does the rcode for this dwelling type restrict it to 1 bedroom? In NSW our "granny flat" code is 60sqm but no restrictions on bedrooms or anything.

Theres three senarios in the r-codes.

1- ancillary dwelling- upto 70sqm. On same title. Now Can be rented seperatly. Any bedrooms.

2- single bedroom dwelling- can be subdivided off with an allowance for a density bonus.

3- then theres aged dependendant dwellings. Also bonus density. Upto. 100 m2 i think. Obviously can only be used by the elderly and alot more requirements like wider doors, bathrooms etc.

Once the kids have left home, I'd love to have a small home; I really hate having unutilised space. I fantasise about living in a much smaller but well-designed and 100% utilised space.

I'd still want a yard, though, as I love to garden. Space around me outside is where I can put more garden and get more fresh air and enjoy more beautiful views; extra space inside is just more space that I have to heat/cool, clean, and - most of all - avoid becoming a dump for stuff from other parts of the house.

I want the enforced discipline of only having what I need, and everything having a place, and everything having to actually be in its place. Too much space encourages untidiness.

I am the same. My place is not very big but the spare room has turned into a junk room. I definitely am looking at smaller for when I am older and 70 sqm sounds perfect. Units have always been a problem for me as I find noise a problem so the smaller the development the better.

I've had in my a head a bit of an "out-there" idea for a starting development in WA. Basically the short of it is to find a low-density lot and use the zoning concessions to subdivide and build 2 single bedroom dwellings in a duplex. So each house would have its own yard and street frontage ideally.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited about the new Rcode changes which bring the maximum internal area to 70sqm. I just think it would be possibly to design something to use that space really well.

I think the biggest x-factor is whether there would be any demand for the product. My personal views are that there must be a market of buyers that prefer a house/duplex over a unit for whatever reason, but are otherwise happy to accept only one bedroom.

Anyone have any input or thoughts about the feasibility? Or seen it done before?

TB
Any updates on this???
I think there is a market for this, but would want to be close to universities, rail etc.

Cheers
MTR:)

There is some being built in Baldivis and Forrestfield. But they are pretty cheap ones.

Cost for a nice single storey turnkey would be about $125-150k

For something like that it would be more in the $150-175 range with the double garage and 2 storey. A simplish 2 storey one can be done for around $150 with careful design.

This pricing is pretty rough at the moment but I am helping some clients do 4 in Maylands and 2 in Clarkson.

Cost for a nice single storey turnkey would be about $125-150k

For something like that it would be more in the $150-175 range with the double garage and 2 storey. A simplish 2 storey one can be done for around $150 with careful design.

that's nuts hey, given that you can build a cookie cutter 4x2 for similar money

that's nuts hey, given that you can build a cookie cutter 4x2 for similar money

Not turnkey and not double storey Ausprop.

A basic one is probably about $100k like the ones which they are building in Baldivis.

A mid spec one is about $125k and will include a study and be the full 70sqm.

A fancy one like those which are 1 bedroom plus study and 2 storey with a double garage probably would be $150+

Thanks for your input Westminster.

How would you go about doing DD for this sort of development in outer ring suburbs where there is little or no comparables?
I assume having no comparables would become an issue if the end game was to hold and reval?

I had a chat to a planning officer at city of Joondalup today. I was informed that you can't apply for 5% variation for this sort of development and that you do not qualify for density bonus unless the whole development is single bedroom dwellings. So for R20 750m2 block you can't have a single house (450m2) and single bed (300m2) behind. Sort of went against my understanding of the R Code, though I'm probably wrong.

Can any r code experts clarify this? Is it just a City of Joondalup thing?

I had a chat to a planning officer at city of Joondalup today. I was informed that you can't apply for 5% variation for this sort of development and that you do not qualify for density bonus unless the whole development is single bedroom dwellings. So for R20 750m2 block you can't have a single house (450m2) and single bed (300m2) behind. Sort of went against my understanding of the R Code, though I'm probably wrong.

Can any r code experts clarify this? Is it just a City of Joondalup thing?

the 5% thing I get but the whole complex must be single bedroom dwellings I don't think is right. Perhaps it's a Joondalup thing

Whilst I haven't seen them I have heard of places where they mix normal with SBDs.

Very interesting.

Back