Its looking bleak for the property bulls. Shortage! What Shortage?:D

Slowdown will put 100,000 jobs at risk

By David Uren and Brad Norington
August 12, 2008 02:45am
Article from: The Australian

* Reserve Bank says economic slowdown will hit hard
* 100,000 jobs are at risk, it says
* Demand for labour already falling

THE Reserve Bank is predicting an economic slowdown so severe that 100,000 people will be thrown out of work in the next 12 months, pushing the unemployment rate to 5 per cent and possibly higher if the financial crisis worsens.

The bank has slashed its forecast for economic growth over the coming year, and expects job creation to slip to its lowest level in seven years.

The economy has been generating jobs growth of 2.5 per cent, or about 250,000 jobs a year, since 2002 to leave the unemployment rate at 4.3 per cent, The Australian reports.

But in the financial year ahead, Australia's central bank expects the economy to generate barely 80,000 new positions, with jobs growth of just 0.75 per cent failing to match the forecast rise in the number of jobseekers.

"With the rate of employment growth expected to remain below that of the working-age population, the unemployment rate is expected to rise," the RBA said in its quarterly economic review yesterday. The bank warned there were already signs that demand for labour was falling.

The RBA forecast was released yesterday as it became clear the Rudd Government's planned abolition of Coalition workplace laws would be delayed well into next year.

The delay, which will deny unfair dismissal claims to thousands of workers and postpone the introduction of new collective bargaining rights, is causing considerable frustration for unions wanting a swift end to John Howard's Work Choices.

But business yesterday welcomed the Government's willingness to take account of economic conditions, and not rush changes that could force employers to deal with union wage demands in a climate of higher unemployment.

Under Labor's election policy, the Government's new industrial relations laws are not due to begin operation in full until January 2010.

But Workplace Relations Minister Julia Gillard had held out the prospect that significant parts of Labor's legislation, including unfair dismissals and other changes, could start this year as soon as legislation was passed.

That possibility has gone, with Ms Gillard confirming Labor legislation currently being drafted by government lawyers could be delayed until the end of the year. Labor insiders say the legislation will be referred to Senate committee hearings, postponing its passage until at least Easter and possibly later.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24164929-421,00.html

Well, I'm certainly moving against that trend. My number of direct reports is about to double from 2 to 4 - both additional positions are new positions..... So, I'm helping to fuel job creation. The first position we advertised last Tuesday, interviewed an excellent candidate on Friday and offered her the job that day. Second position we haven't advertised, have 3 candidates who approached us for this type of job over the past few months and look almost certain to offer the position to one of them.
So, no gloom and doom in our workplace!
Pen

is that why i keep getting offered administation jobs via hubby - even tho i am not looking, haven't approached anyone and haven't done office administration work (except for my own at home) for 8 years ...

i don't know about mass unemployment - people might just have to learn to "go to where the work is."

is that why i keep getting offered administation jobs via hubby - even tho i am not looking, haven't approached anyone and haven't done office administration work (except for my own at home) for 8 years ...."

Maybe it's a hint from your husband
You could probably hold 2 more IPs with that extra income...;)
Cheers

Shortage! What Shortage?:D

This one...

http://www.budget.gov.au/2008-09/content/overview2/html/overview_17.htm

Boosting housing supply

A lack of housing has increased house and rental costs. Australia now needs around 190,000 new houses each year to meet its housing needs, but only 150,000 are being built. The Government is introducing a coordinated approach to reduce barriers to the supply of new housing.

The Government understands that more houses are needed to improve housing affordability in the long term. To help achieve this, the Government has created the Housing Affordability Fund. It will provide $500 million to local and State governments to:

* speed up development approval processes
* provide infrastructure for new housing.

The funding is being targeted so that savings are passed on to new home buyers. The Government will also be releasing extra land, with the aim of boosting housing numbers, improving the quality of surrounding suburbs and creating new jobs. Addressing the seriousness of the housing problem is a priority for the Government. It now has a Housing Minister dedicated to the issue and is working in partnership with State and Territory governments to put better housing policies in place. The Government is also setting up a National Housing Supply Council to examine the adequacy of housing supply over the next 20 years.

BO17_01.gif

Shadow.

Expect migration to be cut.....

By David Uren and Brad Norington
August 12, 2008 02:45am
Article from: The Australian

* Reserve Bank says economic slowdown will hit hard
* 100,000 jobs are at risk, it says
* Demand for labour already falling

In other words, less FHBs and higher rents on the way. Sound like good news for investors and unfortunately for you its bleak news for renters. :D

Only true for unskilled migration, skilled migrant numbers will increase. With a lower AUD that's heading towards 75c we'll see a large increase in cashed up migrants who can afford to buy a home straight away.

:eek:Unemployment at 5%? :eek: OMG, that's............... full employment! Or the same level of unemployment we had through the last boom... :D

If this is meant to be bad news... Give me a break... :eek:

The economy has been generating jobs growth of 2.5 per cent, or about 250,000 jobs a year, since 2002 to leave the unemployment rate at 4.3 per cent, The Australian reports.

But in the financial year ahead, Australia's central bank expects the economy to generate barely 80,000 new positions, with jobs growth of just 0.75 per cent failing to match the forecast rise in the number of jobseekers.
Too funny! :D

Can someone please explain these numbers to me. I must be mis-reading them...

Fact: The economy has been adding 250,000 jobs a year for the past 6 years.

Fact: In the year ahead the economy will add an additional 80,000 jobs.

Fiction: The economy will cut 100,000 jobs.

I'll accept that the unemployment rate will rise as the number of created jobs does not match the number of new job seekers, but that is significantly different to cutting 100,000 jobs. Its just creating less than historically. Still more people in work with more incomes looking for homes. And this off the back of record low unemployment due to massively more jobs having been created over the last 6 years than job seekers requiring them. We're running at full employment people! We need some ease on this, which is what the RBA is setting out to achieve. No doom and gloom there.

Got to love the spin don't you...

Cheers,
Michael

Back