smart meters

MIL has received a notice re: smart meter installation at her property (Victoria). She's worried that it will drive up her elec. bill (media hype?); whereas my understanding is it's simply a better way of capturing existing usage and shouldn't make a difference on $$$ front.

Anyone here care to share their experience? Was the installation straight forward? Can you refuse it? Notice any difference on the $$$ front post installation?

Anything we should watch out for? (e.g. post installation can they force change onto peak/off-peak or time based plans?)

MIL has received a notice re: smart meter installation at her property (Victoria). She's worried that it will drive up her elec. bill (media hype?); whereas my understanding is it's simply a better way of capturing existing usage and shouldn't make a difference on $$$ front.

Anyone here care to share their experience? Was the installation straight forward? Can you refuse it? Notice any difference on the $$$ front post installation?

Anything we should watch out for? (e.g. post installation can they force change onto peak/off-peak or time based plans?)

Be very careful. After my property (IP) had a smart meter installed my electricity bill went up 10 times, from ~220 to 2500...I kid you not

From what I read and have heard its impacts upon those users that consume the majority of their power needs during the day when peak load is at the highest therefore the costs incurred for power used is also the highest.

This seems to impact on those who stay at home 7 days a week such as the elderly and the non-working in our population which happen to be usually in the low income bracket.

If you MIL fits any of these groups then I would be concerned that costs will increase with a smart meter.

Smart meters are good for those that work during the week and the house is empty with all appliances turned off where practicable and consumption of power only starts to increase during the party hours of 7pm to 7am.

I hope we can fight the installation of these meters.

Maybe change power companies to one that will guarantee not to install one unless wanted.

These meters are a gold mine for the electricity companies
so they'll try their best to get them installed everywhere.

I don't believe they'll listen to you if you simply refuse.
You'll need to lock the meter box and keep them out while this upgrade takes place.
http://www.savedereel.com/pdfs/what-to-do-when-you-do-not-want-smart-meters.pdf

I've also heard that you also won't be able to change electricity companies
but maybe this will change over time.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/power-suppliers-shun-smart-meter/1419929.aspx

Also read this discussionhttp://www.ata.org.au/forums/topic/899

Last edited:
I've also heard that you also won't be able to change electricity companies but maybe this will change over time.

My intention would be to change now to a provider that does not or has no plans in the foreseeable future to install smart meters.

Even change on the day you get your letter if notification to the customer prior to install is required.

My intention would be to change now to a provider that does not or has no plans in the foreseeable future to install smart meters.

Even change on the day you get your letter if notification to the customer prior to install is required.

I think you can change the company which provides you the electricity billing at any time
but the meters belong to a wholesaler/distributor like Integral.
As far as I know Integral Energy aren't upgrading our meters but Energy Australia are,
so if you happen to live in a suburb belonging to EA they'll eventually upgrade you.

Crikey, this is news to me! I can believe sadly how they can get away with this (they own the meter), but it's just not cricket, particularly for the stay-at-homers who are most likely to need this least. :mad:

So why does the article state that some companies wont accept new customers on smart meters?

If your retail account is with Integral or Origin (the same company) and wholesaler network provider, such as Endeavour in NSW, changes the meters what is the end result?

I like the idea of the sign and padlock.

There is 2 different meanings being used for smart metering.

One is the variable rate on power usage at different times which for most people is a scam.
The second is the actual meter.

I had a smart meter installed on my PPOR as I was going to install solar.
However I at the time requested I stay on the A1 tariff which in WA is the flat rate. It took the solar company 6 months finish the install (long story).

Technically my bill should not have changed but it went up $50 a quarter. The old meters don't capture the full power usage of computers and other certain electronic switchmode devices.

Yes, be careful. Is a letter in today's paper from a recent recipient of a smart meter as part of their solar panel package.

They have been billed for two bills in a row now at over 3x what their actual usage is. Don't know how that works because the owners just look at the meter and see what the usage is - which is not the same as what the electricity company is registering and charging. They are now in a battle to get a refund.

How are the smart meters read? Obviously not by lifting up the lid and looking in the meter box :rolleyes:. Will have to keep an eye on our next bill as had solar put on since the last one.

When I had smart power years ago I was diligent in using the pool pump at night, dishwasher, washing machine. It was a pain in the butt in some respects. For me it was soooooooooo expensive was not worth it, got out of that scheme pretty damn quick. This was about 5 years ago and here in WA.

The difference with the smart meters is that it records more accurately (apparently) the time of day your using electricity and then charges accordingly. However Lizzie after seeing that article in the Herald yesterday I will be scrutinising this a little bit more on the next bill.

It has been debated by some as to who this actually benefits though the consumer or the electricity company. When we first had our solar installed and we got our new rates I realised that there was a HUGE increase in the rate for that 2pm - 10pm period and similarly 7am - 2pm was "off peak" and still quite expensive. Because of this I have adjusted when I do my washing/clothes drying and dishwashing. I always had that timer feature thingy on my dishwasher and washing machine and dryer but could never see why I should use it. Now I set all of them to come on at 5am. Not only are the clothes washed and ready to hang out first thing in the morning its also on off peak power.

We both work FT so arent there during the day using electricity and apart from the inevitable peak energy use with the oven and TV between 2 and 10pm it hasnt affected our bill that much (I dont think?)

I can see though that this would definately disadvantage older people and also Stay at home mums who are home during the day on the computer and have the TV on for the kids all day and that sort of thing. Unfair in that it disadvantages those that need it the most.

As I mentioned before, in WA at least, you can stay on the flat rate A1 tariff which for many is a better option. Even when you have solar.

Delta, sorry but smart meters were being phased in long before ALP got voted in.

I'm just talking about Victoria I guess.

Considering the ALP have been in power since 1999, they must've been on the agenda for a long time (?).

There is 2 different meanings being used for smart metering.

One is the variable rate on power usage at different times which for most people is a scam.
The second is the actual meter.

Bingo ... you have hit the nail on the head for me. This would help explain why everyone complains about the bills going up .... and didn't tie in with my logical thinking that it was simply a smart way of measuring electricity usage and shouldn't have a bearing on end $$$ (with exception of the $50 you mentioned for renewed accuracy).

So what's the equivalent of A1 rate in Victoria? Or do we get forced onto a variable rate? latter will be bad for my MIL -- she's a stay at home retiree and uses most of her electricity during the day

that's a really good suggestion. How do I find out about companies / distributors in victoria who don't have current plans for smart meters?
The installation is on Friday 29th and would love to get out of it if we can.

I think you can change the company which provides you the electricity billing at any time
but the meters belong to a wholesaler/distributor like Integral.
As far as I know Integral Energy aren't upgrading our meters but Energy Australia are,
so if you happen to live in a suburb belonging to EA they'll eventually upgrade you.

I assume these are Sydney/NSW based distributors? How do I find out the same for Victoria?

Back