Smoke Alarms

It was not meant to be defensive and I am sorry I apologise if you took it that way.
Nah, no probs. I just got the impression that you thought I was addressing your situation, whereas I was only intending to give kabba all the information for him to assess for himself what level of risk mitigation is appropriate to his own situation. :) That's a decision we all have to make for ourselves.

I agree that life isn't risk-free, and can't/shouldn't be made so, and that it would be lovely to see tenants bearing at least some of the responsibility for their own safety. :rolleyes:

Forking out the extra money for smoke alarm testing is a pain but seriously, unless you have asset protection - view this as additional insurance.

RTA - also states that the landlord has an obligation to clean the smoke alarms within 30 days of the start of a renewal of tenancy...so it is not only the testing but cleaning. This is clearly not within the management duties of property managers.

I guess you could argue that PM's should be able to test - just go around to properties with a 1m rod (for personal safety and testing of smoke alarms) but to clean it as well - that wouldn't work. Can you imagine your pm taking a step ladder, screwdriver, dusting brush or cleaning cloth - maybe spray bottle with cleaner and setting up inside your IP during each routine inspection?? hmmm...I don't think so.

So this new industry of residential smoke alarm testing fills in the niche. For all you sparkies out there doing traditional work - this is a very lucrative niche to get into...wish I was qualified :(

Advantanges:
1. Qualified electricians test the smoke alarms when required as well as clean it in accordance with Lessor obligations.
2. If your property does not comply - they are onsite to rectify it - without separate call out fee from another electrician or visit and can professionally advise how to rectify it.
3. If your property is okay - you receive a statement to say so - your insurance company is happy but you may not be....

However, if there is a fire and a life was lost, but you have done all this...your conscience is your biggest payoff.

Last edited:
Back