So, what do you think might be in store for this years budget?

So BG, you agree that students get too many benefits?

Let me ask you the question back rhetorically, Scott.
Do you believe that current students are receiving 'too many benefits'?
If so, please list the benefits that students are currently receiving that in your mind are 'too many'

Let's first establish a baseline here for comparative purposes.
Your concept of what are 'benefits' may differ from my concept of 'benefits'

'Too many' then becomes a case of comparing apples and oranges.

If so, please list the benefits that students are currently receiving that in your mind are 'too many'

I believe they do.
Students live very envious lives.
Austudy, rent assistance, concession discounts on stuff.
Lectures for 4 units at 2hrs each a week, tutes for 4 units at 1hr each a week, so stacks of free time for a casual/partime/fulltime job
have no real expenses to take care of except for rent and alcohol.

I'll take a crack at this.

Students get welfare if they are poor, to pay their living expenses. I have no problem with this.

Universities have been bleating about being further deregulated for some time, so they can charge more to enable them to compete more effectively. I think caps need to remain on tuition fees to keep costs manageable.

I don't think university should be free. Australians already get 13 years of free education.

I further think students should have to pay back their fees, and I think the HECS/HELP system was good for that. If people leave the country, I think bilateral tax agreements should include provision for collecting HECS/HELP debts.

Charging interest above the real cost I disagree with. The government takes a deliberate decision to subsidise university education, but allowing debts to grow to unmanageably large sizes is not good policy.

Yeah, vastly different. He's right to protest a $250 admin fee, yet current students are wrong to protest tens of thousands of dollars of extra fees.:rolleyes:

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Fence.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Plenty of hypocrites in this thread just like joe hockey. It was ok for them to receive the benefits, but now someone else is getting them they complain.

Incidentally, did anyone see the koshie interview with hockey this morning. Extremely soft they are obviously mates. Hockey just ignored the questioning and koshie didn't press on. Total rubbish.

If this was labor it would be front page news not just online thanks to Murdock. Can anyone inform me how many pages into the telegraph this is mentioned?

Just for the record I side with neither labor nor liberal as they are both simply concerned with self interests. Too many people agree 100% with one political party and have their blinkers on.

I believe they do.
Lectures for 4 units at 2hrs each a week, tutes for 4 units at 1hr each a week, so stacks of free time for a casual/partime/fulltime job

A tad out of touch there... you clearly didn't go to university.

Well, we actually became one of the dearest and many say the dearest country in the world from about that statement on , right !
One of the main reasons for this is our cost of labour - not the labour itself; all the added on little wins we all enjoy.

But they are pushed extremely hard for by the Unions (and supported by all workers on PAYE as well), so the Gubb can't take the blame for all the perks.

The second problem for us is size of Country versus size of population.

We have bugger-all humans here per square mile by world standards (I quite love that and am happy to never fill up the place with more of us and happy to pay more for the privilege) and so the cost to supply infrastructure, etc comes at a higher price due to tyranny of distance, combined with labour costs.

And did l not read somewhere , Howard was actually our highest taxing gov in history.
I am more than happy to pay less tax, but everyone wants to keep on improving the lifestyle - not decrease it - and a decrease in taxes will do that, but will return a deficit we can't afford to service, and ultimately worse infrastructure and services....unless we ship in truckloads of 437 Visa workers....

Think; the bloke who was earning $100k per year, but got retrenched and had to find a $50k job, but refused to downsize the Toureg, the Country Club Membership, kid's private schooling and the Foxtel....

We want our cake and eat it too in this Country;

more wages, more time off, more sick pay and more paid parental leave, more super guarantee, more shift penalties and weekend rates, better infrastructure, less tax, more welfare, nicer bosses who make less for themselves and give us more - and can't sack us if we stuff up all the time, cheaper consumer goods but more staff in the shops to help us decide on the green cushions or the purple, faster broadband to peruse the purple cushions online instead going to the store, cheaper housing and right near work with no commute....and so on.

A tad out of touch there... you clearly didn't go to university.

Not at all.
I began university in 2000.
And have friends there currently who have way too much free time on their hands. Not to mention the dozen weeks of holidays per year.

Just for the record I side with neither labor nor liberal as they are both simply concerned with self interests. Too many people agree 100% with one political party and have their blinkers on.

As a new comer to this country, I agree. I did not waste time in checking all links etc, but what I guess is that Hockey was protesting back then just because it was a labor policy. If it had been introduced by liberals, he wouldn't have done that. Pathetic.

What I guess is that Hockey was protesting back then just because it was a labor policy. If it had been introduced by liberals, he wouldn't have done that. Pathetic.

And that would be 100% correct imo.

Hockey was, at one point, the President of the NSW Young Liberals (or whatever they call themselves).

I only know that because when I was in Canberra I worked with a guy who said he was the President of the Victorian Branch of the Young Liberals at the same time. He'd just finished a stint in Costello's office as an adviser, so at the very least he was well connected politically.

EDIT - Past Presidents of the NSW Young Liberals. A few recognisable names there. Ok, so Hockey wasn't President in 1987 (he was 91/92)but I doubt it would have endeared him to the powers that be if he'd been pro HECS in 1987). Such are the sacrifices political wannabes have to make....

If this was labor it would be front page news not just online thanks to Murdock. Can anyone inform me how many pages into the telegraph this is mentioned?

n.

Rubbish. It's not really that interesting what a young immature and Inexperienced Uni student has to say on anything, labor, lib, green or communist. If it were, Julia Gillard would never have been PM.

Rubbish. It's not really that interesting what a young immature and Inexperienced Uni student has to say on anything, labor, lib, green or communist. If it were, Julia Gillard would never have been PM.

Should never have been anyway.

I believe they do.

Some courses, yes. I knew plenty of people who went to uni with that kind of contact-load.

However, I did engineering at uni - the contact load was extreme (2nd only to medicine I seem to recall), with very little free time during the day to actually work on our projects - that was all done after-hours in our own time. It was not unusual for security to kick us out of the computer labs at 11pm (this was pre-internet).

There is no way I could have held down anything other than a weekend job - I delivered pizzas for a small independent pizza shop on Friday and Saturday nights - and I studied in between deliveries.

Holidays were spent studying for exams or working on projects, the long break at the end of the year was spent doing compulsory work experience (I worked at Olympic Dam Copper/Uranium mine in the IT dept).

Don't dismiss all students as time-wasting slackers ... some of them work extremely hard.

I believe they do.

I wish.

When I was a student I worked 25 hours a week in different cafes etc to earn money to pay the rent. I had 12 hours face to face teaching a week. But, that doesn't include time spent writing essays, doing research, doing readings for tutorials, study etc etc.

I had a lot more free time when I graduated uni, and a lot more money.

Side note, I'm seeing something pretty concerning for social mobility in some sectors.

I've been talking to a few student planners and architects. It is getting to the stage where there is only limited student roles available - but that is mainly because students who have money behind them are working for 6-12 months on an unpaid basis.

I don't want to see that happening. It basically says to anyone who doesn't have significant savings or a well off partner/family that this profession is out of bounds to you. It is only for the middle class.

Very dangerous thing to be saying. I've got no issue with a couple of weeks of unpaid work experience. But a full year?

I was talking to another planner about this and he doesn't see the problem - says it shows commitment. I say it shows reinforcement of existing social structure.

Back