So what is China doing?

I thought some may be interested in the sources of new power generation capacity in China over recent years...

Approximately 90GW of new power generation capacity per year has been installed since 2006. To give that some context, the entire existing fleet of Australian power stations would total around 50GW all up.

I can see some trends forming in this graph myself...

BhcMyoICQAAcYNB.jpg:large

and the greens worry about reducing our ghg production.

Sure that China has a much lower usage per capita but our total production is insignificant.

Why the dramatic decrease in hydro power between 2013 and 2014?

Each bar represents additions to the power grid.

Dams take years to build and the associated power generating turbines tend to be completed in stages. Also peak output isn't reached until the new dams fill over time.
Presumably the larger addition to hydro power in 2013 relates to a number of generator sites coming online in that year or perhaps it was due to the Xiluodu Dam which is a particularly large dam.

Some pictures of Chinese Dams with hydroelectric power plants in Yunnan.
http://www.industcards.com/hydro-china-yunnan.htm

Last edited:
diversification of power security,
this graph is misleading, its about new additions, so over time the relevant factor is existing + new additions, not just new additions.

Seems a smart move to me

Yep stands out like a sore thumb.

Looks like a typo in the data to me.

These graphs take into account entire country's production, they simply don't spike. Hydro jumping from 19 GW way up to 30 GW the next year then plummet back down to 21 GW the year after. Naaah.

It would make perfect sense for it to smoothly increase from 19 to 20 to 21 though.

Someone in Beijing has fat fingers.

I'd reckon it would simply be to do with a change in rainfall. One year was a lot wetter than other? Just guessing though?

Edit.

Oh????? Hang on, the chart is showing additions to output. Not total output? So forget what I said above.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Each bar represents additions to the power grid.

Dams take years to build and the associated power generating turbines tend to be completed in stages. Also peak output isn't reached until the new dams fill over time.
Presumably the larger addition to hydro power in 2013 relates to a number of generator sites coming online in that year or perhaps it was due to the Xiluodu Dam which is a particularly large dam.

Some pictures of Chinese Dams with hydroelectric power plants in Yunnan.
http://www.industcards.com/hydro-china-yunnan.htm

That makes a lot more sense then. Thanks for that.

Sorry everyone I thought it was self evident from my post but clearly not, given the number of people getting it wrong. This graph shows which sources of power generation capacity (not production) have been added to the grid in each year. Nothing to do with anything else - the graph is not misleading.

My post indicated and the graph shows that China has been installing nearly twice Australia's entire installed generation capacity (circa 50GW) each year since 2006. Not sure how I can make it any clearer?

Back