To solar or not to solar

* 3kw solar panel system from $4,500.
* "low" usage of power ... it's worth putting a 10kw system..
* any advice on who is doing the best price atm?
* can only fit 4.5kwh system on the roof
* paid off within 4 years.

* Not bad pricing but all dependant on componenet quality. Range from $1/w to +$2/w you have to make sure your paying at the upper end of the scale but getting the lowest qulaity components.

* Does not seem a feasible proposition as with NET metering and low FIT for new systems you should size your system to offset daytime usage not recoup cost for night usage.

* Your location may help provide an answer to this question.

* 4.5KW may be the limit to the inverter you can install as determined by your distrbutor for single phase installs.

* A very optimistic forecast from a sales company maybe. Usually if the system is sized correctly maybe 5 to 6 years purely based on offset saving and any FIT you may get back.

* micro inverters are the better choice ... Is this just marketing?
* Maintenance is an annual wash.
* insured as part of home insurance ... if the premium increases?

Not an expert just have solar installed and continue to keep up my reading on the subject.

* Micros have their place and that is where shading is a major influence on you roof/mounting location. With micros shading only inpacts the single panel being shaded as where an entire string inverter array can be impacted upon if one or more panels are shaded, even partial. If shading is not an issue the just get a string inverter and save the coin.

* +1 Annual wash maybe if your in a major fallout area other than that the rain does a good job keeping the dust off.

* I just advised my insurer with no issue and I don't even think it adjusted my coverage or premium.

* Would solar be a good choice for a place like this?

* Only if this large usage is in the daytime and you can size a system to cover it but any size system will assist reduce costs but nowadays you just cannot eliminate a bill entirely as was possible under GROSS metering and large FIT.

Personally I'm focussing on putting in some batteries and getting off the grid completely because in WA we get no credit for avoiding network charges. Solar production only gets 7 cents but we are getting charged 25 cents for what we consume.

I concur with most of your comments but currently for most people batteries are still too expensive to make it viable given you need to replace the batteries (large cost again) maybe within 10 years.

Currently many installers advise if you can get grid then stay there until the battery options become much cheaper in 5-10 years.

The difference between your FIT and you retail IMPORT price is suppose to be for their profit, operating costs and the infrastructure maintenance but that's a topic for another thread or forum.

Having some further thoughts ... we have a habbit of moving house regularly - average of every 18 months over the last 15 years - and got caught a few years back after putting on $10k solar system and moving for work 6 months later.

Our bills are considered low (and easily affordable) - and technology is advancing so quickly - might just wait another year and see what happens

I looked seriously at solar earlier this year, but our patterns of usage mean that it wasn't really a viable proposition for us.

When we can buy batteries and store several days' worth of solar power, then it will become more useful. I understand batteries are now coming down in price, and that within 3-5 high capacity lithium-ion batteries will be viable for large home systems.

Our roof has heaps of space, is flat and never in shade. The problem is that most of our heavy usage (heating and cooling) is evening and nighttime.

Back