Some great ideas for hide-and-seek

My father has built secret hidey holes into all the furniture he's made for us over the years, which include jewellery boxes, games tables, glory boxes etc. He put secret compartments in the built in wardrobes at the last place they lived in and had to show the new owners when they sold the place.

He made a special hidden cupboard for his guns and got us to try to find it and we couldn't - even knowing how Dad thinks. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to keep his guns there. Rules say he has to have some particular gun cupboard which basically says "Hey burglars, here's the special gun cupboard".

None of Dads hidey holes involve electronics of any sort. They've always involved special pushing or pulling of a certain spot or pulling a series of wires as a release mechanism or pulling apart bits of wood that have been put together like a jigsaw. Lots of fun.

Olly

That's so cool Olly!

I love secret passageways in houses, always wished I had one.

No idea what I'd do with it, but it'd be fun!

asy :D

Hi

it would make for a cool entryway into the home office. Besides it would be a great way to hide the amount of computer gear from theives, just leave the token Pentium desktop on a small table in the dinning room and keep everything else hidden.

I guess one of the easiest hidey holes would be a room under the garage and a hiden stairway down. Don't know how batman got council approval for all those secret extensions he did on his house :p

Michael G

Book Opportunity

Olly said:
My father has built secret hidey holes into all the furniture he's made for us over the years, which include jewellery boxes, games tables, glory boxes etc. ......
...None of Dads hidey holes involve electronics of any sort. They've always involved special pushing or pulling of a certain spot or pulling a series of wires as a release mechanism or pulling apart bits of wood that have been put together like a jigsaw. Lots of fun.

Olly

I recon this would be a fantastic Book opportunity - I'd buy it for sure! I too, love puzzles.

GP - great link. I love the Vase niche and the secret staircase to the other room. My son loves the recline going into the spiral slide to his "Toy Room" as he decreed it! :cool:

Some of those features remind of the old Scooby Do cartoons. Imagine having to pull on the candle stick or push a book to open a secret passage and escape the evil ghoul (or get away from the kids for awhile).

You could even incorporate some of these ideas into your everyday facilities;

Squeeze the head of your little toilet paper holder doll (the ones where the roll fits in under their skirt) to open the hidden compartment were you keep the 'reading material' magazines (and out of the hands of others).

Or on the bookshelf in the kitchen, push the '101 exciting things to do with tofu' cookbook and watch the hidden panel slide open to reveal your secret stash of chocolate cookies.

Hey, there could be a niche market for these things.

:cool:

asy said:
That's so cool Olly!

I love secret passageways in houses, always wished I had one.

No idea what I'd do with it, but it'd be fun!

asy :D

Asy , wait a few more years and your life will be complete. They're called teenagers....

See Change

Back