Sourcing building products from China

Hi Guys,

I'm a builder with quite a few small to medium projects to be started this yr. I've actually heard about other developers buying their pc items in bulk at huge discounts in China. eg. toilets, electrical appliances, kitchens, door furniture, towel rails etc...

Have any of you guys done this or know anyone who has? I've currently got 16 houses to go into council in the next few months, with more on the drawing board and thought that a big buy up might save me thousands. Just not too sure where to start looking?

Cheers guys

Morty

Hi morty,

I think you find that many of the bigger builders & developers have been doing just this for, not just recently, but for many, many years.

you will need to bring over container lots for it to be worth while.
start will google china and go from there. eventually you will find what your after.

Also there are trade shows in china you might want to check out if your serious

Your idea of bulk and the Chinese idea of bulk direct from a factory are prop miles apart. There are however distributors over there that can handle smaller orders.

Best way to find any product in China is www.alibaba.com if there is a factory in China not listed on there I would be suprised, it also provides a ratings system so you have less chance of being ripped off.

If you only have 3 or 4 houses to do you may be able to find a factory that will do a small order as a trial if you give them the impression that you are a big fish.

lets hope you also speak Chinese..

people think that china is cheap.. but in reality their wages are going up, and shipping charges/insurance needs to be added, buy the time you do all this you will find getting the product here isn't much difference.. other than lower quality product..

and pray you don't have any problems

I agree with the Alibaba search engine. Dealing with China is fun :) I am importing flyscreen mesh, rivets etc for our Screen manufacturing biz.

I have found the Chinese to be polite, punctual in answering emails and very helpful. You will find a factory that will do a samll order. I start every query with."hi, this is what I want, can you supply, what is your minimum order, how long is the time from invoice payment to shipping." A lot (most) of the factories make to order.

Actually china is the easy part. it is dealing with the freight forwarders/ customs agents that can be "challenging" I have a GREAT guy in Brisbane. Ask for some recommendations from people you might know who import.

About the only other issues you will have is that you have to pay your GST on the imported goods at the wharf. (Usually your customs agent will pay it and you pay them) As you can imagine, that can be a hefty amount on a container load. Also China deals in $US so don't forget to allow for the exchange rate. (I work on 60c + 4% landing costs and I am well ahead :) )

Have fun.

We needed some steel windows for a current project and engaged a victorian company who sourced them from overseas. Price was good,lead time was good, but quality is crap and we are still dealing with the aftermath.

Tools

You really should get a good sourcing agent with plenty of experience, it will be well worth it. Negotiating terms and prices will make a big difference in the end.

You could even order extra for surplus or even order more to resell, if you can organise some warehousing/storage/despatch situation.
Online is the way to go for cheap and fast exposure for reselling, if you want to try it.
eBay is very, very cheap advertising, even if you don't plan to sell through eBay.

Good Luck

I would love to import my stuff directly but if I said I'd have "one" to the yank/chinaman, he would reply: "Yes, but what size container".

I know importing isn't easy (I have a funny story about that!) but nor is it as difficult as my suppliers make out. You must work out what is crap and what is truth.

the chinese are great ppl to deal with.
i strongly recomment if it for on going big projects you select a stack of companys over there and visit them.
this way u will get an idea of quality ect.

if you do this be ready to eat drink and smoke a lot! as they will take you out for lunch and dinner and karoke and girls lol

Thanks guys, really helpful stuff.

I have spoken to a local developer who may be going over mid yr with a big order so i'm meeting with him next wk to discuss tacking onto his!

never know it might set me up for future orders!!

Cheers

Morty

i deal with china business daily.

rule 1: there is little QC with many products.

rule 2: be very careful when dealing with China business.

rule3 ; refer to rule 1 and 2.

having dealt with both import and export to and from china, its very much a learning curve...there are more scammers, ripoff merchants and con men than i care to mention.

rule 4: you will find many who say they are manufacturers are actually middle men, skimming tidy profits from onselling to you but having a legit looking website or actual business name....go direct to manufacturers only and check their background.

best way to buy anything from china is to either go there first hand or have someone there who can negotiate for you.....theres literally a heap of rubbish just waiting for the inexperienced to purchase.

also if you are importing..shop around for container shipping charges..its varies considerably...watch fine print with regards to shipping times: FOB, CIF etc etc....

pm if you need any real tips..

as for alibaba.com...thats an absolute joke...its full of middlemen...not too many real manufacturers...........actual chinese businesses laugh at that website because of all the scams that go on with it....why do you think its called alibaba for?? ie: 40 thieves.....its a novel joke over there in china....i dont rate the site one bit..

good luck.

Shipping from China is what we do. Really you do have to go over there because of QC.
Weve had laminex kitchens fade and things not up to code.

Alos some things you can get cheap... And some things (like Tiles) you cannot - please note I am refering to real quantity here and our Aussie tiling company sells it cheaper to us than any ANYONE can match (Chinese, Spanish, Turkey, Other).

Thanks for that link arms.

I'm an hr from albury and can't believe there is someone like that so close!
I'll be checking them out.

Cheers
Morty

Back