South Australia - Things to do

+1 Handorf....Obviously stroll up and back the main street but if you drink beer... The German arms has great beer prices and good meals.

+1 Central Markets, love it here. I don't take a shopping bag but treat it like a 10 course meal + coffee & finish up with a beer. I like to buy a small portion of a whole lot of foods and eat as I look. Great place.

A walk along Semaphore road is good, start at the beach end, then walk towards the Port, turn around, head back towards the beach then you end back at the Palais, good priced beers on the beachfront.....magnificent

+1 to the Barossa, but also try a Pizza at the 40's Cafe Angaston, you will thank me afterwards.......hmmmmm smokey bacon pizzzzzaaaa

If you like a bit of fitness, a 2.5 hour walk around Morialta Falls is good for an afternoon walk or an early morning walk up Mount Lofty is a good heart starter

If you like Craft beers try the Wheatsheaf at Thebarton........Best Pub in Adelaide

+1 to Mannum or even Murray Bridge if you have kids as there's a good size beautiful park on the river adjacent the Social club and licensed cafe.

Henley Square for a beautiful evening meal on a warm day.........you cant go wrong with a great selection of outdoor dining options.

Sunday at Port Adelaide Markets if you like a variety of books, quirky or old things..... You can also do the dolfin boat tour

The riverland is good for a weekend away, Waikerie is only 2 hours drive, great riverfront BBQ area and if you have kids and it's a hot day they will love it.

Give us an idea how far you're willing to travel or what you're into, I've seen most of Adelaide's & it's hidden secrets

So only been once so far - we'll be back again early next year.

Things that are on our "must do every visit" list
- Chinese in Gouger st - can't remember what's it's called, same side of the road as central markets, cheap decor, crowded as anything, but everything was great, especially the salt and pepper white bait

- Pizza at Saltram's cafe in the Barossa - one of their regular Pizza's with prawns, mozarella etc but we subsituted prosciutto for what the other meat was - best pizza either of us have ever had across multiple continents. (just checked and can't see it on their menu at the moment - would be worth asking about though). If you go to Barossa - must go to Two Hands winery.

- Haighs. Yum. unfortunately we were there around Easter. Was a bit squishy due to number of people.

- Henley Pier and dining. Thai was better than Greek.

good advice

Go directly to the airport and fly out before you die of boredom! :p:p ........or heat stress.

Alternatively get in an A/Con car and take a drive to the Clare or Barossa Valleys and do some wine tastings :)

I got stuck in Adelaide last school holidays due flights all full due footy. after four days there is absolutely nothing to do. I did Harndorf, glenelg (no parking and everything closes at 5-5.30pm), the city (full of bad service and religious crazies), the adelaide hills wineries (only one welcomed us the others only wanted groups and charged for tastings (are they kidding), and yes the best thing to do in Adelaide is go to the airport and catch any flight, anywhere- just get out before your brain explodes. Sorry, Adelaidians, but the place is a joke. open your shops, get some immigrants in to liven the place up, and stop saying "we do things differently here" because the problem is you actually do not do anything there but wait to die. And the zoo charges $30 and the cafeteria is the most unhygenic, disgusting,eatery I have ever visited. it is staffed by centrelink folk who have to work as volunteers to get a cert 111 in hospitality. (they all told me how filthy the place is ) The poor souls work everyday for no pay and it is not really their fault that they have no concept of food handling or customer service. Take your own food.
Better still just stay home and stare at pictures of beautiful Sydney or Marvellous Melbourne.

And Perryman's bakery once had the best pasties. (That's pasties, not pastries). Anyone know if the queues still wind around the street?

I think they've all moved to Bakery on O'Connell now.

I often hear people saying they've either been to or going to BoO, but haven't heard anyone mention Perrymans for years.

BoO pies remind me of the pies I had as a kid in 'country' Gawler many years ago... round, with fine mince in a jelly like gravy. YUM!

Julie, Adelaide is probably not the most exciting of places if that's what you're looking for, or the place to go to if you're a highly strung half empty glass person, but each to their own ;).

*Says I who has only been to Sydney twice because it didn't do it for me like other place have - been to Melb about 30 times, Brisbane 3 times, Hobart 3 times, Perth at least a dozen times and Darwin twice (lived there for a year too).

I smile at comments like Julie,s,as it puts all the interstate investors off,oh well,more good buys for the locals.

Sorry, I just put in my leave application. I'm going to SA next year. Will September be cool enough? I was in Adelaide once before in January and couldn't breath it was so hot.

Sorry, I just put in my leave application. I'm going to SA next year. Will September be cool enough? I was in Adelaide once before in January and couldn't breath it was so hot.

We got married in Adelaide in Jan 2009...went off on our honeymoon to northern china where it was -30 and then back to Adelaide where it was 46 :eek:

I got stuck in Adelaide last school holidays due flights all full due footy. after four days there is absolutely nothing to do. I did Harndorf, glenelg (no parking and everything closes at 5-5.30pm), the city (full of bad service and religious crazies), the adelaide hills wineries (only one welcomed us the others only wanted groups and charged for tastings (are they kidding), and yes the best thing to do in Adelaide is go to the airport and catch any flight, anywhere- just get out before your brain explodes. Sorry, Adelaidians, but the place is a joke. open your shops, get some immigrants in to liven the place up, and stop saying "we do things differently here" because the problem is you actually do not do anything there but wait to die. And the zoo charges $30 and the cafeteria is the most unhygenic, disgusting,eatery I have ever visited. it is staffed by centrelink folk who have to work as volunteers to get a cert 111 in hospitality. (they all told me how filthy the place is ) The poor souls work everyday for no pay and it is not really their fault that they have no concept of food handling or customer service. Take your own food.
Better still just stay home and stare at pictures of beautiful Sydney or Marvellous Melbourne.

Wow.

Looks like you had plenty of whine while you were here.

The problem for Adelaide's tourism people is that it is a better place to live, rather than visit. It takes a while to work out where to go, and when, and what to avoid. I haven't been to the zoo since I was nine years old.

But Imust address some of your rant. If you went to Gouger St or Rundle St (not Rundle Mall) you would have been fine, and got a nice meal at a decent price. Four nutters in the mall hardly means the CBD is full of religiuos crazies. Glenelg is better in the summer, when shops and restaurants are open later, and there are more people around.

And maybe your state of mind (couldn't get on a flight etc) affected your stay here? Maybe a little bit?

Carols by Candlelight should be happening soon which is always great fun and a good atmosphere.

Soto's Fish and Chips at Semaphore (voted as one of the best fish and chips in SA) - bonus is its by the beach.

Wallaroo or surrounds if you wanna go crabbing!

For a nice meal, Kefis (very hard to book into so i'd look into it now!), Enzo's for amazing Italian, oh i just remembered, Russells Pizza at Willunga (about 1hrs drive from CBD) is an amazing place to have pizza (google it and you'll see the reviews). Can't think of anywhere else for now but there's a tonne of beautiful eataries but give Russells a go (if you can get a booking that is!) as its not your traditional dining experience...very rustic, informal but yet the pizzas are fantabulous!

Only people who don't live in Adelaide love it :eek:

I thought the saying was, "only people who live in Adelaide love Adelaide".

Generally people that I've know that have left, have left for reasons other than they don't like it, like work/study or they've met a partner who comes from interstate.

I also vote Adelaide is a great place to LIVE.

QUOTE]

It's easy to talk a place up and say you love it after you have left and don't have to deal with it anymore.

Adelaide is great for it's cost of living / housing and ability to allow you to save and travel to cities that have something to do. This is the reason I am staying.

QUOTE]

It's easy to talk a place up and say you love it after you have left and don't have to deal with it anymore.

Adelaide is great for it's cost of living / housing and ability to allow you to save and travel to cities that have something to do. This is the reason I am staying.

What is it your looking to do in other states???

I love living in Adelaide and like going interstate/overseas on holidays.

Back