South Australian Housing Shortage On The Way

Feel free to enlighten me on where the nicer and uncrowded beaches are!

Totally love an uncrowded beach BUT these are some of our highlights (NEVER go to Bondi in Summer):

* Magic Manly - ocean swims, great surf, shops pubs restaurants and markets across the road
* Private Bungan - when you want to beat the crowds
* Palm Beach - enough room for everyone.

There are heaps more but I'm keeping them a secret. ;)

But your beaches have a good reputation. What's the best (not most frequently visited) beach there?

Attachments

• Manly-Beach.png
    Manly-Beach.png
    344.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Bungan Beach.jpg
    Bungan Beach.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Palm Beach.jpg
    Palm Beach.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 81
  • Palm Beach-Pittwater.jpg
    Palm Beach-Pittwater.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 82
I grew up in Adelaide (11 years), and now living in Sydney (15 years), so I have my own opinion on this.

Sydney have great beaches especially at Northern Beaches area. I avoid Eastern Suburbs beaches (Bondi/Coogee etc) like a plague. Adelaide beaches like Glenelg is great, and all those beaches along the coast from Semaphore to Sellick Beach are great and not crowded.

I noticed that Adelaide CBD is getting busier and busier over the last few years when I went back to Adelaide. These days Gouger Street is always packed on Friday/Saturday nights with lots of people at restaurants. No way that was the case in the 90s.

Anyone who is priced out of Sydney real estate can always move to Adelaide for a quality lifestyle for fraction of the cost. To me that is the biggest benefit. For example, if you are police, fireman, teachers, nurses (i.e. standard jobs where every state needs them anyway), you would earn a really average salary in Sydney and you would not be able to afford to buy anything in Sydney. Move to Adelaide (and get the same type of job) and voila you should be able to get something much easier.

Adelaide is really great to raise families, if you can find a job there. There is simply less pressure for average families to pay mortgage and raise kids there. There is no such thing as traffic jam in Adelaide, if you are using Sydney standards to compare with. The weather is in general pretty good, and no four season days like Melbourne at all.

I agree that Adelaide is "less exciting" as Sydney. But how many times do you need to see Sydney Harbour Bridge, or Opera House, or Bondi? How often do you need to shop at say Cartier, LV, or Miu Miu? Most average families doesn't need this at all, even they are all located in Sydney.

500k Budget? You can get a large selection of suburbs for houses (not units/townhouses) in Adelaide, and in many ways, you can get it 10 minutes drive from city. You can even buy small house at Rostrevor/Magill area which is zoned in to Norwood-Morialta high school, which is a very good public high school. Try doing this in Sydney right now, you would need to look at 2770 or Campbelltown area. Miles away from Sydney CBD. I am not even going to talk about quality of public (non-selective) schools there.

A lot of Sydneysiders who are on average jobs will be burdened with very heavy mortgage on their backs (which could one day break their back when IR rises) or have no hope to ever afford a house. Whilst I do feel sorry for them, they should seriously start looking at alternatives.

To me Adelaide is simply a great place to raise family for average joe. Any Sydneysiders who move there, would need to get used to not hearing about Rugby League but everything about the Crows (which I still follow and support, with Swannies close behind) and Power ...

Last edited:
Feel free to enlighten me on where the nicer and uncrowded beaches are!

On a perfect summer's day a the height of summer, most beaches would be crowded perhaps even Glenelg. Even so, and Bondi's the exception, you'll always find a patch of dirt to plonk yourself. We were in Coogee last week - gorgeous Saturday - wasn't packed at all.

But my favourites in Sydney - Coogee, Nielsen Park, Camp Cove, Balmoral, Chinamans Beach Mosman, Parsley Bay, Shelley Beach Manly, etc etc. Been to any of those?

I grew up in Adelaide (11 years), and now living in Sydney (15 years), so I have my own opinion on this.

Sydney have great beaches especially at Northern Beaches area. I avoid Eastern Suburbs beaches (Bondi/Coogee etc) like a plague. Adelaide beaches like Glenelg is great, and all those beaches along the coast from Semaphore to Sellick Beach are great and not crowded.

I noticed that Adelaide CBD is getting busier and busier over the last few years when I went back to Adelaide. These days Gouger Street is always packed on Friday/Saturday nights with lots of people at restaurants. No way that was the case in the 90s.

Anyone who is priced out of Sydney real estate can always move to Adelaide for a quality lifestyle for fraction of the cost. To me that is the biggest benefit. For example, if you are police, fireman, teachers, nurses (i.e. standard jobs where every state needs them anyway), you would earn a really average salary in Sydney and you would not be able to afford to buy anything in Sydney. Move to Adelaide (and get the same type of job) and voila you should be able to get something much easier.

Adelaide is really great to raise families, if you can find a job there. There is simply less pressure for average families to pay mortgage and raise kids there. There is no such thing as traffic jam in Adelaide, if you are using Sydney standards to compare with. The weather is in general pretty good, and no four season days like Melbourne at all.

I agree that Adelaide is "less exciting" as Sydney. But how many times do you need to see Sydney Harbour Bridge, or Opera House, or Bondi? How often do you need to shop at say Cartier, LV, or Miu Miu? Most average families doesn't need this at all, even they are all located in Sydney.

500k Budget? You can get a large selection of suburbs for houses (not units/townhouses) in Adelaide, and in many ways, you can get it 10 minutes drive from city. You can even buy small house at Rostrevor/Magill area which is zoned in to Norwood-Morialta high school, which is a very good public high school. Try doing this in Sydney right now, you would need to look at 2770 or Campbelltown area. Miles away from Sydney CBD. I am not even going to talk about quality of public (non-selective) schools there.

A lot of Sydneysiders who are on average jobs will be burdened with very heavy mortgage on their backs (which could one day break their back when IR rises) or have no hope to ever afford a house. Whilst I do feel sorry for them, they should seriously start looking at alternatives.

To me Adelaide is simply a great place to raise family for average joe. Any Sydneysiders who move there, would need to get used to not hearing about Rugby League but everything about the Crows (which I still follow and support, with Swannies close behind) and Power ...

Great post, until you mentioned supporting Port Power.

/block edison.

Great post, until you mentioned supporting Port Power.

/block edison.

I think you've misread it ..... I said that people in Adelaide and the local news just keep talking about Crows and Power all day .... and I put bracket stating that I support Crows, then Swannies. I don't support Port Power myself. I supported Glenelg in SANFL and hated Port Magpies in the 90s ...

I think you've misread it ..... I said that people in Adelaide and the local news just keep talking about Crows and Power all day .... and I put bracket stating that I support Crows, then Swannies. I don't support Port Power myself. I supported Glenelg in SANFL and hated Port Magpies in the 90s ...

Oh good - don't want too many Port Supporters hanging around these parts. ;)

Something in your last post comes up quite a bit in conversation regarding living in Adelaide vs elsewhere. Many people will say 'oh but I can see xyz in Melb/Syd', to which I always ask them whens the last time they did that, and how often? Everything is a short (cheap) flight away from Adelaide, and when your living costs are significantly lower, you can afford to hop from city to city quite often.

The South Australian economy is eventually going to recover. In the meanwhile Adelaide has continuous population growth + Government imposed urban growth boundaries. In the future there's going to be more demand than supply= increased house prices.

Unless you get a lot more welfare from the Federal Government in the form of defence contracts etc. I'm not sure on what this future recovery is going to be based on?

Unless you get a lot more welfare from the Federal Government in the form of defence contracts etc. I'm not sure on what this future recovery is going to be based on?

Adelaide has a comparative advantage over the eastern states because our cost of living and therefore cost of wages are lower. However, we haven't been able to use it because we've had successive State Government with no vision (we haven't had any since Playford). Instead of being conservative and NIMBY we should capitalise on that and turn ourself into an advanced manufacturing hub.

Adelaide could also become the education capital of Australia if Federal Government policy goes through (deregulation of Uni Fees). Adelaide Uni is already a G8 and world top 100 uni. Flinders is very respected for their medical and sciences and even Uni SA is becoming competitive (it's actually ranked higher than Flinders now).

We've also got huge uncapped potential with our natural resources and nuclear industry, which would attract skilled professionals like engineers.

Developing countries like Thailand offer incentives/subsidies to multinationals to invest, such as a tax free period for 'x' amount of years. The trouble that Adelaide has had is that the private sector, especially the large companies have all fled and headquarted themselves in the easten states. Corporate welfare is preferable to unemployment!

I visit Adelaide regularly as most of my family live there. Over the years I've always felt a bit like I was stepping back in time whenever I've visited.

Over the last few years I've noticed a big difference. Lots of infrustructure projects - oval redevel, southern expressway and rail extension, tram extension. The population doesnt feel as old as it did - perhaps not as many young ppl leaving. It just has a different feel.

As an outsider it feels like Adelaide is finally becoming a modern desirable city. Your traffic is still horrendous though....and there is nothing wrong with Port ;)

We've also got huge uncapped potential with our natural resources and nuclear industry, which would attract skilled professionals like engineers.

nuclear energy and agriculture would have to be about the only bright spots on the horizon for the aussie economy. strike out nuclear tho, this country could never get it together well enough to pull that off properly. The future is agriculture... observe what Twiggy is doing and follow the hot money. You may not be able to buy a station but you can always 'sell shovels to the miners' as they say.

Back