South Australia's Mining boom

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/19/2280132.htm

The number of jobs in the mining industry in South Australia has fallen by nearly 40 per cent in the past year.

Figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show almost 8,000 people were employed in the industry in May, compared with nearly 12,500 early last year.

Opposition spokesman for mineral resources development David Ridgway says it shows the SA Government has overestimated the mining boom.

"It's flawed policy to talk something up beyond what we've actually got," he said.

Is it just the government or also the Real Estate industry and their newspaper lackeys who have been talking it up? Remember all of the talk about how Adelaide was going to be the new investor hotspot due to the mining boom - then all of the interstate investors decended and pushed prices up?

1 in 200 South Australians are miners - yet it's going to cause property to boom :rolleyes:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23885712-25658,00.html

Perth prices to tumble

Perth homes lost 3 per cent of their value in the four months to the end of April

"A lot of people are viewing Adelaide as the new Perth and are hoping to ride that wave of capital growth," Mr Lawless said.

Looks like Adelaide will be the next Perth, except we had even less justification for our crazy prices! Property bid up by interstate specufestors for a mining boom that never was! Hilarious :D

Did you see the last bit of that second article,
Meanwhile, a soon-to-be-released Colliers International report shows the number of apartment sales in the Brisbane CBD plunged 69 per cent in the March quarter to just 78 sales.

But the average price of new units rose to $894,000, the highest on record and 23 per cent above the average last quarter.

I wonder which one of these two statistics will see the most comments.

That 23% is an annualized rise of 92%, did someone mention bubble?

Mike.

Last edited:
number of apartment sales in the Brisbane CBD plunged 69 per cent in the March quarter to just 78 sales.

But the average price of new units rose to $894,000, the highest on record and 23 per cent above the average last quarter.

I suspect this is what it looks like if everything but the very top of the market completely drops away.

Adelaide is the current star performer, with the RP Data research showing home values there jumped 4.6 per cent in the four months to the end of April.

Adelaide house prices crashing!!!:rolleyes:

Can't say I really blame 'em talking it up.

The last time I was in Adelaide I had to have an extra-marital affair just so I could find something to get excited about.....:eek:

Ciao

Nor

The Govt here has hyped up the mining boom, but there is now the question of how the mining boom will convert to actual growth for the state. If our house prices are rising, it is because they have lagged behind everywhere else in Australia and we are just catching up. However, I think the Defence area will boom, and this means areas like Port Adelaide in the west and surrounds, and also in the North will start to make their move. Ethelton, once an area where few feared to tred, I think will be a great growth area.

Hired Goon: you have no idea.

Unless you work in the mining industry you cannot comprehend how big BHPB's Olympic Mine Expansion is. I have worked on multibillion dollar projects all of my professional career and this blows my mind.

I dont have hard figures to back it up but it would not surprise me if this is the single largest construction project in the world for the next 3 years straight.

As for the reason that mining employment in the state fell this past year - well the expansion hasnt actually started yet. But its keeping hundreds of engineers and planners working overtime right now.

boomtown: What stage is bhpb actually at right now? Has the expansion been approved?

* Constructing an additional 270 kilometre electricity transmission line from Port Augusta to Olympic Dam.
* Building a desalination plant at Point Lowly on South Australia’s Spencer Gulf and an associated 320 kilometre pipeline to supply water to Olympic Dam.
* Expanding the Roxby Downs township and relocating the Olympic Dam construction village to accommodate additional workers and their families.
* Decommissioning the existing Roxby Downs airport and building a new and larger airport.
* Building a spur line from Pimba to Olympic Dam to connect the operation to the national rail network.

A lot of work to be done just to start the expansion. Plus the production once completed is said to quadruple.

BT,

If BHPBIO couldn't figure out how to put together HBI what makes you think they'll have a clue about whatever it is they are mining or processing there?...........:p

BHPBIO and cutting edge projects always seems to spell White Elephant.

Or maybe that's just the RIO in me..........:)

ciao

Nor

boomtown: What stage is bhpb actually at right now? Has the expansion been approved?

According to the latest Cordells or whatever it is called now, that project is valued at $7 billion:eek:

The estimate on the demountable homes is 7,000 per year for at least 5 years - to house the workers.

Lots of building work but not sure of the impact for investors. Having said that, quite like the idea of owning a fleet of demounables and just moving them to whereever they are needed:D

I thought they were all arguing about the Pt Lowly desal plant because its in the gulf and it'll make the gulf salty and the cuttlefish won't like it and then the tourists won't come see the cuttlefish.

Last I heard they were haggling putting it on the West coast on the open ocean. But then I'm just hearing rumours, dunno what to believe.

Haha..........Brio.

Don't know whats going on about all that takeover stuff.

Only that we're going like the clappers to 320mt and then 450mt

When I first started up here, we were all so proud that we shipped 45mt.......seems like light years ago now.

If we are either taken over or merge, then I'm even happier, as both our railway signalling systems are completely incompatable (rubs hands together - more work)

ciao

Nor

I have worked at the Gold Coast de-sal plant over the last few months. During the induction I was told that there are 5+ more plants in planning and will most likely be built with-in the next 5 years Australia wide.

BT,

Quite seriously I would think. Just like FMG and their constant bleating about third party access to both rail systems

All I can say is that there are implications, particularly in the routing of a railway system, between differing tenaments and proposed mines. I was recently sent the for comment draft proposals for our next mine out that way (Hope Downs 4) and the damn thing features six different rail routes........in all of which Rhodes Ridge would feature in someway.... "Nuff said"

Don't think there's anyway the JV partners (Hancock / Wright Prospecting) and Rio will take it lying down. Besides they've been active on the lease for years.........don't what he's got up his sleeve though.

Just between you and me:))), IMHO Cazaly should have been allowed to keep Shovelanna anyhow. If it had been any other company, it would have been a lay down mazare. The laws are quite clear on how leases are to be renewed and the courier being late was a pitiful excuse. In the end I suspect it was decided for the benefit of the state.....and the big boys won.

As they always do.

ciao

Nor

If it had gone through can you imagine how much DHL couriers could earn in "tips" to "lose" packages?

Are all these different railroads at least on the same gauge?

Back