Speaking of Grand Final...

Heard on the news this morning that the Gubbmint is proposing to make the day before the Grand Final a Public Holiday.

Sounds great; "good for the economy" and all that, the spokesperson said.

Now; I'm wondering how that would be the case?

Yes, there will be loads of folk off work out having a good time, and loads will make a long weekend and get away and so forth, lots of folk spending on restaurants, at the pub, travelling etc.

My family and I will be part of that crowd, no doubt....

Yes, the workforce will be a few dollars richer on the day if they are rostered to work; a bit more expendable income to pump back into the economy somehow...my wife will be rostered on for her usual Fri night shift at the hospital, so it's a bit of a win for us in that regard..

BUT....

I'll have lost yet another day of income and copped more costs in my little business, and there are many, many thousands in the same boat.

How is the lost productivity, the extra day of no income for extra cost going to be "good" for businesses, or the wider economy as a whole??

Every hospital will have an enormous wage spike for that one day, because they are open no matter what.
Every school will lose one more day of productive time for student classes, and effectively more cost for less return.
Every business will incur extra costs due to either being closed and paying staff not to be there, or being open and paying them time and a half - and pretty much with no guarantee of extra income on that day.

I may be over-reacting; I think it is a bad idea;

Decreasing the overall productivity of the workforce, and the profit of the majority of companies and services that make the Country operate.

Just another little seemingly harmless chipping away at jobs - more job losses down the track.

Last edited:
What he said.

What a ridiculous proposal.

There are so many things wrong with it I can't even begin to be bothered to type them all out.

All over a meaningless sports match.

All over a meaningless sports match.

Already have Melbourne Cup and Boxing Day(that holiday is for the Boxing day test isn't it? ;)).

Could only happen in VIC lol

I thought there was a certain number of allowed public holidays per year so if they did go down this path(which I think is a stupid idea) would have to drop one of the existing ones(could be wrong though)

BV
I agree with you, a silly idea and generally not making it easier for small business.

BTW, off this issue but still relates to your business.

I received a text from my hairdresser offering a free haircut on x and x days, obviously not busy on these days and a good way to still generate income.

Could this work for you..... and no I don't think mechanics would be good with hair:p, but offer a sweetener if they book a service on x day.

BV
I agree with you, a silly idea and generally not making it easier for small business.

BTW, off this issue but still relates to your business.

I received a text from my hairdresser offering a free haircut on x and x days, obviously not busy on these days and a good way to still generate income.

Could this work for you..... and no I don't think mechanics would be good with hair:p, but offer a sweetener if they book a service on x day.
It could work, but in our industry there is no way of forming a pattern of quiet or busy days, or even months.

It is not uncommon for us to have not a single booking on a given day in the next week, and by the end of today have half the week and that empty day fully booked.

The other aspect to servicing is the time factor for having your car in for a service. It is rarely a drop off and wait around scenario for people. We try to do it if they are desperate, but if you don't know what parts you need until you see the car, and haven't got them in stock, then the car may be there all day or longer until the parts turn up.

Most times, we need access to their car for a good period of the day, and except for the retired pensioners with nothing else to do, the rest are busy workers and have to schedule these sorts of things a bit in advance.

I've been going hammer and tong on the sms's for service reminders already, with reasonable results.

next; tackle the specials and various offers.

I like to do those for a more prolonged time period rather than a one-off day, to give folk more time to organise and more flexibility.

It could work, but in our industry there is no way of forming a pattern of quite or busy days.

It is quite common for us to have not a single booking on a given day in the next week, and by the end of today have half the week and that empty day fully booked.

The other aspect to servicing is the time factor for having your car in for a service. It is rarely a drop off and wait around scenario.

Most times, we need access to their car for a good period of the day, and except for the retired pensioners with nothing else to do, the rest are busy workers and have to schedule these sorts of things a bit in advance.

I've been going hammer and tong on the sms's for service reminders already, with reasonable results.

next; tackle the specials and various offers.

I like to do those for a more prolonged time period rather than a one-off day, to give folk more time to organise and more flexibility.

OK.
I have no doubt that text messages work, my h/dresser sends to all her clients, I think its brilliant idea.

OK.
I have no doubt that text messages work, my h/dresser sends to all her clients, I think its brilliant idea.
We have services due all the time, so I'll give it a crack for a specific day a few weeks in advance for those who are needing reminders, and see how it goes.

I reckon if we do it that way it would work.

We have services due all the time, so I'll give it a crack for a specific day a few weeks in advance for those who are needing reminders, and see how it goes.

I reckon if we do it that way it would work.

Why not.
Good luck with it.:)

In WA, the Monday of Grand Final weekend is a public holiday. Completely unrelated reason, but is very convenient timing.

Every business will incur extra costs due to either being closed and paying staff not to be there, or being open and paying them time and a half - and pretty much with no guarantee of extra income on that day.
Double time and a half actually :-(

Victoria has less public holidays than other states so I don't see a problem with adding another to Victoria only. A Victorian public holiday for the AFL would be fitting. I don't follow or even like football, but Victorians did invent a whole new sport which isn't something to be ashamed of.

My biggest problem with the proposal is that the Grand Final is always held on a Saturday, making the public holiday rather redundant.

EDIT: My mistake. I thought Victoria had less since we scrapped Show Day as a public holiday, but we're still average with 11 public holidays. NSW seems to have the least with 10. SA seems to have the most with 13.

If anyone deserves another holiday, it's NSW. As a Melbournian, it pains me to type that :p

Victoria has less public holidays than other states so I don't see a problem with adding another to Victoria only. A Victorian public holiday for the AFL would be fitting. I don't follow or even like football, but Victorians did invent a whole new sport which isn't something to be ashamed of.

My biggest problem with the proposal is that the Grand Final is always held on a Saturday, making the public holiday rather redundant.

EDIT: My mistake. I thought Victoria had less since we scrapped Show Day as a public holiday, but we're still average with 11 public holidays. NSW seems to have the least with 10. SA seems to have the most with 13.

If anyone deserves another holiday, it's NSW. As a Melbournian, it pains me to type that :p
are you a PAYE, or a business owner?

Double time and a half actually :-(
Double shazam!

We don't open on Saturday mornings any more.

Folk often are surprised when I tell them this after they ask if they can bring the car in for whatever.

The reality is that due to the wage cost, it is a financial waste of time, and we stuff up our weekends in the process.

If I could put up the price of all services and tyre prices by an extra 50% in compensation to match the wages, then it would be viable.

Could you see that working?

My prediction is that this will be a growing trend throughout many retail outlets around the Country....it is already happening in restaurants etc - Sundays are the first to go from what I'm seeing.

Double shazam!

Folk often are surprised at this when they ask if they can bring the car in for whatever, and I tell them this.

The reality is that due to the wage cost, it is a financial waste of time, and we stuff up our weekends in the process.

If I could put up the price of all services and tyre prices by an extra 50% in compensation to match the wages, then it would be viable.

I had a business which opened weekends, nights and most public holidays. Even on those rare days we were closed, things had to be done. I loved penalty rates. Especially with the ACT having an extra holiday which NSW didn't have.

I wasn't allowed by the franchisor to have a holiday surcharge- and even if they did, the gummint wouldn't have allowed me to say "10% holiday surcharge". Every single price had to be spelled out on the board menus if it were to be implemented.

Double shazam!

Folk often are surprised when I tell them this after they ask if they can bring the car in for whatever.

My prediction is that this will be a growing trend throughout many retail outlets around the Country....it is already happening in restaurants etc - Sundays are the first to go from what I'm seeing.

unless wages are 100% of your costs then im pretty sure you wouldnt need a 50% price rise to compensate...

Back