Speaking of Grand Final...

unless wages are 100% of your costs then im pretty sure you wouldnt need a 50% price rise to compensate...
Sorry; shoulda spelled it out better - compensation for ME in my pocket and for giving up half a Saturday :D

Not the business profit percentages per se.

But you'd be surprised how much extra you'd need to elevate the prices to cover the wage increase, because it is not just the extra wage, it is the increased Worksafe insurance premium, and the increased super guarantee contribution.

I wasn't allowed by the franchisor to have a holiday surcharge- and even if they did, the gummint wouldn't have allowed me to say "10% holiday surcharge". Every single price had to be spelled out on the board menus if it were to be implemented.
That's pretty sad, because loads of restaurants and family bistros at pubs etc charge a holiday surcharge...usually in small print on the menu.

and the increased super guarantee contribution.

SGC doesn't apply to overtime rates. Only normal time and allowances. You are correct as each dollar rise in wages will increase WorkCover premium.

pinkboy

are you a PAYE, or a business owner?

No, I don't own a business. However, I am fairly certain that if I did own a business, I wouldn't abandon my firmly entrenched belief that our society and culture would be lacking if we didn't set aside 'special' days for us to collectively celebrate 'special' cultural occasions. It's difficult to celebrate from a cubicle, behind a cash register or whilst cementing a footpath.

I think if Victoria (I can't speak for the rest of the nation) were to add another public holiday, the Grand Final would be an appropriate occasion to celebrate considering it is a unique sport which WE founded. No, I'm not into sport, but nor am I religious and I'm not against public holidays for Christmas and Easter. However, I think it would be stupid to have a public holiday for the Grand Final as it's always on a Saturday, so it would seem a rather superfluous public holiday because most people don't work on Saturdays and the Monday would simply become a 'day off work' rather than a day of celebration.

If public holidays are so awful, do you advocate we get rid of them all? Or only some? We're currently at 11? You say 12 would be too much, but is 11 too much? Is 8 too much? Apparently as a business owner, only YOU can answer this question ;)

Anyway, I went to the Royal Melbourne Show today for the first time since I was a kid. A FANTASTIC day. It is now my favourite annual event and I plan to go every year. A went on a ton of rides, petted cows and goats, watched a dog show, my husband won me a stuffed toy, etc.. To be honest, I'm a bit sad we got rid of the Show Day public holiday - it's a great event that's been running since 1848 and I think Melbourne should be proud of this cultural tradition, even if it isn't terribly unique. As a New World nation, we don't have many traditions and we should cherish those we have.

Bayview, you can't shout down other people's views because your business is floundering. You were blatantly dismissing my view because I'm not a business owner. You fail to realise that public holidays have existed for thousands of years throughout different cultures and they are far bigger than you or your small business.

Whether the Grand Final is worthy of joining this cultural tradition, well, who knows. But I know you're an atheist (as I am) and I haven't seen you complaining about Christmas and Easter public holidays.

No, I don't own a business. However, I am fairly certain that if I did own a business, I wouldn't abandon my firmly entrenched belief that our society and culture would be lacking if we didn't set aside 'special' days for us to collectively celebrate 'special' cultural occasions. It's difficult to celebrate from a cubicle, behind a cash register or whilst cementing a footpath. I agree - we have enough stupid excuses for a bludge as it is - most folk simply use it as a paid day off

I think if Victoria (I can't speak for the rest of the nation) were to add another public holiday, the Grand Final would be an appropriate occasion to celebrate considering it is a unique sport which WE founded. No, I'm not into sport, but nor am I religious and I'm not against public holidays for Christmas and Easter. However, I think it would be stupid to have a public holiday for the Grand Final as it's always on a Saturday, The case rests, yer Honourso it would seem a rather superfluous public holiday because most people don't work on Saturdays and the Monday would simply become a 'day off work' rather than a day of celebration. Oh; you think?

If public holidays are so awful, do you advocate we get rid of them all? Or only some? We're currently at 11? You say 12 would be too much, but is 11 too much? Is 8 too much?Yes, no, yes, yes, yes

Apparently as a business owner, only YOU can answer this question ;) As someone who has done both own a business and been an employee, and is not of an employee mindset any longer.

Anyway, I went to the Royal Melbourne Show today for the first time since I was a kid. A FANTASTIC day. It is now my favourite annual event and I plan to go every year. A went on a ton of rides, petted cows and goats, watched a dog show, my husband won me a stuffed toy, etc.. To be honest, I'm a bit sad we got rid of the Show Day public holiday - it's a great event that's been running since 1848 and I think Melbourne should be proud of this cultural tradition, even if it isn't terribly unique. As a New World nation, we don't have many traditions and we should cherish those we have.I agree. Just take the day to go....without pay....if you feel that strongly about it. Your boss can't afford it.

Bayview, you can't shout down other people's views because your business is floundering. See response below in black.

You were blatantly dismissing my view because I'm not a business owner. How did you guess?

You fail to realise that public holidays have existed for thousands of years throughout different cultures and they are far bigger than you or your small business.See response below in black

Whether the Grand Final is worthy of joining this cultural tradition, well, who knows. But I know you're an atheist (as I am) and I haven't seen you complaining about Christmas and Easter public holidays.
While they have existed for a very long time, they also are from a past climate of business and economic activity before internet trade and technological advances.

The world has changed. We are competing for jobs with other countries who can do it cheaper. We never used to have to.

Hell, we even have a scenario here in Aus now, where it is cheaper to ship the components and materials O/S, get them made O/S, ship them back and sell them back to our own folk who sent the materials in the firsts place - cheaper than making it here.

You call that a good thing?

At least it keeps the third world folk in a job, I guess.

And now we are talking of adding another freebie day to the total and that's cool?

You may glibly say "so what?", and "I'm alright, Jack", and; "It's only one extra day, how can it hurt?", which is what I would expect a PAYE to say who has never been on the other side of the fence as a staff paying business owner.

Another paid public holiday may kill the opportunity for who knows how many extra jobs which may have been created.

As it is, the cost of an employee is really about half an employee more than just the wage each year. We are costing maybe 1 to 1.5 jobs in 3 people as we sit here today.

I don't really care - my job is safe; it's you PAYE guys who chuck the glib shoit around who should be worried. Three years ago, I had 3 full time staff and pulled 6 figures out of the business. Now, I have 2 part-timers and still pull a good wage out. Not as much as before admittedly, but the wages I've sacrificed are retained in the business, so it is still good. Who are the losers in this equation? The only difference is now I have to work a full week of work again which was not my plan, but that's my choice and opportunity to be able to do so.

We are already experiencing wholesale job losses on a National scale.
We are already seeing jobs exported overseas to cheaper labour countries and - worse for us - more productive per wage dollar countries than us.
We are seeing increases in the Super Guarantee
We have redundancy payouts
We have paid parental leave
We have holiday loading in many industries

And so on, and so on.

Every single one of these little wins, while being applauded by Unions and PAYE (which I have been on and off for 35 years) is quietly and surely eroding the three biggest employers of this country - retail, farming and manufacturing, and all their associated businesses which feed off them.

Meanwhile, we keep filling up the country with more folk, but the job pool won't keep up with it. Every one of those new folk getting that same extra freebie day...at what cost? It'd be mind boggling how much.

Workers who are PAYE never see the bigger picture of these costs to the Nation - we are starting to see it now with the advent of the global market, the internet store, and the steady add on of the freebie for the worker.

My business isn't floundering, it's not as profitable as it has been or what I would like, but it still provides me with a job for life, and an income for life....many cannot say the same given the climate we are in now. My job and destiny is in my own hands - not my boss's, who might say; "sheet; another farking freebie day! Time for a board meeting to cull a few staff to cut costs".

I haven't complained about those holidays (Xmas and googie egg week) because they haven't come up in recent conversation, but now you've mentioned it....I hate Easter; costs me a fortune. I couldn't give a sheet about the bloke upstairs, or wherever, and I can take time off whenever I like...I don't have to put in a request for leave with all the other staff and hope for the best.

Have the holiday - but with no pay...if you feel that strongly about having to celebrate some event on that exact day...

oh; wait - Anzac Day gets given even if it is a weekend; how silly of me to forget.

Or; stay at work at normal pay with the non-believers of religious days and events.

Same as all the pub hols - let those who want to partake, partake - but not subsidised by the boss....it's costing you PAYE types more jobs.

I'm surprised you lot haven't woken up to this....

Run a business and maybe you will.

Last edited:
The Gubbmint would be the beneficiaries due to extra taxes collected due to extra spending from Joe Public.
deduct from that the spending which would not occur from the future folk who have lost their job, and are living off welfare for a bit.

And, not everyone goes out and spends up a storm on their public hol days off, but every boss sure cops it up the blurter.

And, the loss of GST from all the businesses which are closed for the day.

Last edited:
Cimbom, the goodies we receive as extra entitlements were given out during a period of economic prosperity. Since the GFC and recent economic downturn (some would call it a recession) the various governments in Australia are currently trying to reduce these entitlements to their staff, and look where that is ending. A few years ago in Qld, for example, the Labor government tried to rein in some entitlements and they copped a huge union backlash over it. There were Public Sector Unions encouraging their members to strike against their employer, the State Govt. Not a good look! How do I know? I'm a PS union delegate, I read the letters they send me that they want me to distribute at work. The new LNP govt fixed that problem by sacking 14,ooo workers after the various unions involved wouldn't accept a less-generous EBA back in 2011.

I also see things from Bayview's perspective. I have been a business owner back in a previous recession and it was awful, it is much easier to be an employee. Have I put this post in the right section?

Bayview, besides the evilness of wanting to get rid of all public holidays (you want to murder Christmas), do you have any idea how much money public holidays put into the economy and how many jobs they create? Not only would you destroy the morale of the populace, but you would be harming the economy and many of the businesses you claim to champion.

As far as the gloating about PAYG employees facing the chopping block whilst business owners have a job for life - if this were true, you wouldn't be so concerned with protecting vulnerable business owners, they would be invincible. But we both know that's nonsense. Businesses go under every single day.

Job loss is a huge issue facing this country, but let's not pretend that public holidays are the culprit.

You also say that people are free to take the day off work if a day is super important to them. If Christmas (to use the most extreme example) were not a public holiday, every PAYG employee would be trying to book annual leave for that day. Only a few would receive it. Christmas would be dead. And good luck trying get employees in on New Years Day - expect a record number of sickies.

You also say that my boss can't afford to pay for public holidays. What on Earth do you know about my employer and what they can and cannot afford and how do you know that they aren't one of the many employers who actually profit from public holidays?

Victoria has less public holidays than other states so I don't see a problem with adding another to Victoria only. A Victorian public holiday for the AFL would be fitting. I don't follow or even like football, but Victorians did invent a whole new sport which isn't something to be ashamed of.

My biggest problem with the proposal is that the Grand Final is always held on a Saturday, making the public holiday rather redundant.

EDIT: My mistake. I thought Victoria had less since we scrapped Show Day as a public holiday, but we're still average with 11 public holidays. NSW seems to have the least with 10. SA seems to have the most with 13.

If anyone deserves another holiday, it's NSW. As a Melbournian, it pains me to type that :p

EDIT AGAIN (pedant much?): Apparently NSW actually has 12 public holidays, not the 10 I stated above. So NSW has more than average 11.

Bayview, besides the evilness of wanting to get rid of all public holidays (you want to murder Christmas)
HAHAHA! Nice spin. You should be a Pollie in Opposition.

No; I'm happy for anyone to celebrate these holidays - but without pay if they insist on a day off for it. I already do and I don't even believe in it. It's nice for the kids with the presents, though.

, do you have any idea how much money public holidays put into the economy and how many jobs they create?
I've already said how many more jobs we would have if all the perks we receive as PAYE were removed - it is almost 1.5 employees per employee. I've done the numbers on 3 employees - it is actually almost the cost of 4.5

And, I don't even have Payroll tax...add that figure in and mull it over.

Your Unions and you as a PAYE who accepts the perks cost more jobs already than my little idea.

Here's an idea; be the first to stand up for more jobs - ask your boss for no pay on every Public Holiday...

When you have been a staff paying employer for at least 10 years, paying rent, Workcare, Super, Loading, sick days and so on....then I'll listen to you, because you will be suitably experienced and informed on the various pros and cons..

Here's one for ya's...

My wife works with an older nurse who is thinking of retiring at the end of this year. Been there a long time.

It turns out she has dodgy knees, and needs both of them operated on to clean out the mess inside.

Guess what she is going to do?

Take time off and use all the accumulated sick leave (over 150 hours I'm told) to get them done, then take all her holidays accrued after that, and after the recovery, then retire.

Nice get, hey?

Last edited:
As far as the gloating about PAYG employees facing the chopping block whilst business owners have a job for life - if this were true, you wouldn't be so concerned with protecting vulnerable business owners, they would be invincible.
There are more employees that lose work than bosses when businesses fold.

But we both know that's nonsense. Businesses go under every single day.
That's right.

And everyone loses their job together.

So you're bitter because you've purchased yourself a job yet don't get any perks?
Another spin doctor. :rolleyes:

As a business owner, I get very nice perks through various tax deductions.

And, as an employee of the Company I own, I also receive a PAYE wage, which I pay tax on, which I can use the IP scenario to minimise.

Double win for me really.

As I said before - which I guess you missed - my concern is for future jobs of other Australian people.

And ACT has one more public holiday which NSW doesn't have. Tomorrow, as I found out today. "Family and community day". And there's another long weekend next weekend.

There's not much which will change. Shops will still open, just banks and offices will close.

This is what I don't like. The gummint decides that the ACT doesn't have enough holidays so just declares another one. It's only the rich business owners who are left to pay the extra.

They were giving their extra public holiday on Melbourne Cup Day, but the employees weren't happy. Nothing much got done at work that day, so they preferred to have their public holiday on another day.

As an employee, there's at least half the public holidays I would have been happy to work, and to get those extra hours as annual holidays.

HAHAHA! Nice spin. You should be a Pollie in Opposition.

No; I'm happy for anyone to celebrate these holidays - but without pay if they insist on a day off for it. I already do and I don't even believe in it. It's nice for the kids with the presents, though.

It's not 'spin'. Read below:

You also say that people are free to take the day off work if a day is super important to them. If Christmas (to use the most extreme example) were not a public holiday, every PAYG employee would be trying to book annual leave for that day. Only a few would receive it. Christmas would be dead. And good luck trying get employees in on New Years Day - expect a record number of sickies.

...our society and culture would be lacking if we didn't set aside 'special' days for us to collectively celebrate 'special' cultural occasions. It's difficult to celebrate from a cubicle, behind a cash register or whilst cementing a footpath.

You want to get rid of ALL public holidays. That's just mental. Every culture throughout history worth its salt knows that to do away with public holidays and days of collective celebration is to decimate morale, community, culture and patriotism.

You want to murder Christmas and that's no spin. Read my above paragraphs.

Please stop pretending that you're trying to champion PAYG with jobs with your anti-public holiday insanity. You're just annoyed that as an employer you have to pay your staff more to work on public holidays or send them home with pay.

Killing morale by getting rid of 10 or so public holidays for the sake 'saving jobs' will not increase productivity.

'Sorry little Jimmy, Christmas will start at 6pm this year because mummy and daddy have to work and the annual leave openings were all booked out'.

Oh, and in many industries unpaid overtime is a given for PAYG employees (you wouldn't care about this, though) if they want to keep their job, so Christmas may well not start until 9pm. FUN!

If a business is struggling so much that public holidays result in layoffs, perhaps public holidays aren't the employer's biggest concern. Unless a business is about to go under and can't so much as afford to pay their electricity bills, public holidays do not result in job loss. Get a grip.

Honestly, I'd rather gargle cyanide than live in your dystopian society.

You want to get rid of ALL public holidays. No; just the pay that goes with it. Gee; you don't read very well.

That's just mental. Every culture throughout history worth its salt knows that to do away with public holidays and days of collective celebration is to decimate morale, community, culture and patriotism.See above.

You want to murder Christmas and that's no spin. Read my above paragraphs. Here we go round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush...

Please stop pretending that you're trying to champion PAYG jobs with your anti-public holiday insanity. ok; I don't care.

You're just annoyed that as an employer you have to pay your staff more to work on public holidays or send them home with pay.you're catching on, but the point is; I could employ another staff if it were different.

Killing morale by getting rid of 10 or so public holidays for the sake 'saving jobs' will not increase productivity. morale gets killed when the news at six reports another 1000 jobs gone. As I said; my idea will provide more jobs, not save the ones we have...although - that will happen too. Double win for all, don't you think?

'Sorry little Jimmy, Christmas will start at 6pm this year because mummy and daddy have to work and the annual leave openings were all booked out'. brick wall, talking to it....still have yer holiday, but no income for the privilege. Didn't I say that already?

Oh, and in many industries unpaid overtime is a given for PAYG employees (you wouldn't care about this, though) My boys get paid for every minute they work...it's on the time sheets.if they want to keep their job, so Christmas may well not start until 9pm. FUN!

If a business is struggling so much that public holidays result in layoffs, who said layoffs? Oh yeah; me!

But, I'm talking about more jobs really. Mind you; ask yourself why all our manufacturing has left the building in my lifetime?

In local businesses, the ramification is less jobs than there could be....one staff versus one point five staff.

In very large companies, it is a relocation to a third world country and many Aus workers sobbing.

perhaps public holidays aren't the employer's biggest concern. Unless a business is about to go under and can't so much as afford to pay their electricity bills, public holidays do not result in job loss. Get a grip.Both are a cost of business already, and are factored in. As stated; I want to see more people employed. Free days stop that from occurring. Echo, echo, echo.

Honestly, I'd rather gargle cyanide than live in your dystopian societygetting a bit hot under the collar?.

And your business name is?......

Look, I can't make any more simple for you; businesses have to make a profit. Costs are a profit killer. More free days increases cost ratios. Got it?

Add as many public hols as you like. Hell; make it 20 for all I care.....maybe there is a business opportunity in building more Centrelink buildings coming up if you are PM.

Last edited:
For me, I'm happy to have collective holidays when they're worth it. Easter Friday & Sunday (but not Monday), Christmas, Australia Day, New Year's, Anzac Day. But Queen's Birthday, Family and Community Day, Labour Day- even Boxing Day- are superfluous days, which would be better being given as a part of an employee's annual leave (over and above current annual leave entitlements)- even at time and a half- may be better for both employees and employers.

There are a lot of people around now who would rather celebrate, for instance, the ending of Ramadam, than Christmas or Easter. Perhaps a flexible holiday calendar would suit our multicultural mix much better.

Bayview, you too suffer reading difficulties.

If we lived in your fantasy world in which public holidays did not exist and Christmas Day was business as usual, only a limited number (the minority) of staff would be able to take the day off. There is nothing in the world to compel an employer to allow an employee a specific day off (paid or unpaid) and almost every single person would be wanting that day off and most would not get it (you'd have people booking Christmas leave 10 years in advance). Thus Christmas would be dead for the majority.

Now, the employer could out of sheer kindness allow all of his staff to go home without pay but his/her business would grind to a halt bringing us back to the issue of employer's losing revenue and footing the bill for 'special days'. This, of course, you are against.

If public holidays did not exist, you (like 99.9% businesses) would not suddenly have enough money to hire more staff so please stop pretending I'm pro-unemployment.

Get rid of public holidays and you'll quickly find a very disenfranchised and frankly pissed off populace. I doubt productivity will increase. Expect a lot more sickies and half-assed work :)

You've made it quite clear that I am not entitled to an opinion because I do not own a business. That's like saying that we're not allowed to have political opinions because we're not politicians :rolleyes:

We're never going to agree and your proposal is never going to happen, so that's that.

For me, I'm happy to have collective holidays when they're worth it. Easter Friday & Sunday (but not Monday), Christmas, Australia Day, New Year's, Anzac Day. But Queen's Birthday, Family and Community Day, Labour Day- even Boxing Day- are superfluous days, which would be better being given as a part of an employee's annual leave (over and above current annual leave entitlements)- even at time and a half- may be better for both employees and employers.

There are a lot of people around now who would rather celebrate, for instance, the ending of Ramadam, than Christmas or Easter. Perhaps a flexible holiday calendar would suit our multicultural mix much better.

I agree that some of our holidays could do with some reworking. What is and isn't important to a nation changes over time. The Queen's Birthday, as you pointed out, is held dear to only a select few and could/should be replaced with something more meaningful (it's not even her birthday!). Sadly, so long as we're a Commonwealth nation, we shall continue to 'commemorate' this non-day.

Back