Speaking of Grand Final...

Bayview, you too suffer reading difficulties.

If we lived in your fantasy world in which public holidays did not exist and Christmas Day was business as usual, only a limited number (the minority) of staff would be able to take the day off. There is nothing in the world to compel an employer to allow an employee a specific day off (paid or unpaid) and almost every single person would be wanting that day off and most would not get it (you'd have people booking Christmas leave 10 years in advance). Thus Christmas would be dead for the majority.Annual Leave, or RDO

Now, the employer could out of sheer kindness allow all of his staff to go home without pay but his/her business would grind to a halt bringing us back to the issue of employer's losing revenue and footing the bill for 'special days'. This, of course, you are against. Many employers would still close the doors on those days - as they do now, but it would not cost them, unless the staff took RDO or Annual Leave - but that's a normal cost.

If public holidays did not exist, you (like 99.9% businesses) would not suddenly have enough money to hire more staff so please stop pretending I'm pro-unemployment. Nice twist. When did I say you were pro-unemployment? I said the tradition of paid public holidays costs more jobs. Adding more freebie days, will cost more jobs, or at the very least prohibit more from being created/added to businesses.

Quite ironic when the Gubb bleats on about unemployment levels, but have no probs slugging rent paying establishments with Fire Levy, or Payroll Tax, or increase Super Guarnatee and so on, and so on.

It's bloody histerical. My business mates and I just shake our heads and do the face palm constantly, and have a chuckle.

But, you go ahead and whine about a clawback on your rights if it happens, no worries.

Get rid of public holidays and you'll quickly find a very disenfranchised and frankly pissed off populace. I doubt productivity will increase. Expect a lot more sickies and half-assed work :)What; 4 weeks annual leave (many folk get 17.5% loading on this as well), and many folk get more than 4 weeks, RDO's, 11 paid sick days (some get more), and weekends not enough for ya? Did I mention we used to work 40 hours per week and now it's 38 before overtime kicks in - some even less?

You've made it quite clear that I am not entitled to an opinion because I do not own a business. That's like saying that we're not allowed to have political opinions because we're not politicians :rolleyes:You have no experience, so cannot comment based on that. You can still comment, but I shall continue to remind you. It's like no-experience armchair property newbies coming on here and trying to tell the experienced investors what's what. They just tell them to **** off.

We're never going to agree and your proposal is never going to happen, so that's that.I know my proposal won't happen. I'm just illustrating what the ramifications of the freebies are, and what will (continue to) happen if they are added to - such as the Friday Public Hol for the GF.

It is not a god-given right to get free work days. They are granted by the Gubbmint after Union pressure and strikes by workers over many years.

Some of the benefits are/were needed. Many aren't, but are now an expected right. Unions and workers never stop pushing and never stop putting the hand out for stuff over and above normal pay rises.

Now, that's fine, and my wife is one of those lucky recipients of nice extra perks in her job, but we all have to realise that it can't go on forever that the boss subsidises less work and more pay, and at the same time you want cheap products and more jobs, and more Super, and more days off.

Hell, just by accepting a last minute call for an extra shift she gets paid an extra amount. Free money! We love it, of course.

The equation doesn't work, ultimately, but PAYE (you) can't see that.

It's all about their (your) requirements, your self esteem and happy disposition and seemingly fragile mental state if you have to work too hard.

I'm looking forward to my new GF long weekend.

I have no issues with public holidays. Or paying wages for public holidays. Staff need a break.

I have issues with pointless sporting events being determined as being worthy of having a public holiday.

Can we whinge about Christmas now?

I have to attend several Christmas parties. Some of them are for my workplace. No, Christmas is NOT in November.

I have to attend several Christmas parties. Some of them are for my workplace. No, Christmas is NOT in November.
Every golf club I've ever worked at hosts "Christmas in July" days so the Poms can feel at home with the winter weather (in Melb :eek:) on Xmas Day.

Back