Speed fine - anyone experienced it?

civil offenses (that's what speeding ticket is) don't have to be proven beyond reasonable doubt, they are decided on balance of probabilities

it's criminal offenses where prosecution has to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt

That is incorrect. Speeding is a criminal offence.

The case is heard in the Magistrate's Court ergo it is "criminal".

But I had a different experience. Caught by a mobile radar coming the other way. The copper was a little older and said he had me clocked @ 122kph, "would I like to check?". I would have accepted an extra 5ks so accepted his reading. He took my license back to his car and checked it and wrote the ticket.

Handing it over he said he'd given me a discount and stated 112 kph on the ticket. I was polite and drove off. :)

i think i got nabbed yesterday too. doing 85 in an 80 zone and no other cars on the road an then i saw that dreaded white van on the side of the road.

i see if i get a ticket or not. i'd be very annoyed if i do as i was doing 85 in an 80 zone with no cars on the road on a sunny afternnon.

if i do get one, then i'd pay it. i won't dispute it. I did the crime - so I'll pay the fine.

not worth the hassle.

g

Last edited:
that's right gg... I think we all know and accept that this is nothing to do with road safety, it's just a tax on motoring. I figure if I get taxed say $200 every 2 years it only works out to about a small amount per litre of fuel, way less than other excises. The trick is to try to minimise your tax bill and pass off as much as possible to others.

You know how motorists kindly flash their lights at you when you are approaching speed traps? well it's great but I wonder if they realsie they are effectively shifting the tax burden back onto themselves. If they dont raise enough taxes they will invest in more cameras or just increase speed fines. WA did that recently, by 50% I think it was. There is a larger than expected defecit in WA and I note that recently the govt has pre-empted things by buying a lot more (and far better) cameras. I reckon speed fines will be doubled soon too. It's one tax that is so easy to sell ("It's all about safety, I dont care how much we raise, if it just saves but one life it is worth it, dont speed and it wont be a problem"). Of course tell that to the poor motorbike rider that came a cropper on the Mitchell the other day as other motorists came to a screechign halt at the site of a spped blitz. Will we get to see the reported statisitcs of deaths and injuries caused by speed traps? I doubt it very much...

the problem is that speeding fines are such a good source of revenue, that nobody even looks at other ways of solving the problem. "more people died on a road? - great, we'll just reduce speed limits and increase fines!"

If you are worried about demerit points, I will tell you now, magistrates have no discretion in realtion to demerit points. This is a matter for the RTA. They are a law to themsleves. The only way you won't get demerit points is if your matter is DISMISSED BY WAY 0F BEING F0UND N0T GUILTY AFTER HEARING.
In Victoria, and I suspect the rest of Australia, it is illegal for VICROADS (the equivalent of the RTA) to remove your driving licence points prior to conviction. Unfortunately, they do.

It's covered under the "Imperal Acts Application Act 1980" 'That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction, are illegal and void.' Page 43.

Last edited:
In Victoria, and I suspect the rest of Australia, it is illegal for VICROADS (the equivalent of the RTA) to remove your driving licence points prior to conviction. Unfortunately, they do.

It's covered under the "Imperal Acts Application Act 1980" 'That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction, are illegal and void.' Page 43.

yeah only upon conviction you gain demerit points in NSW, not prior.

yeah only upon conviction you gain demerit points in NSW, not prior.
In Victoria, as soon as the fine is issued by the police and prior to any possible court action, the demerit points are subtracted from your drivers licence.

It's also an interesting position regarding hoon legislation with the confiscation of a vehicle also prior to any conviction.

I think we all know and accept that this is nothing to do with road safety, it's just a tax on motoring. I figure if I get taxed say $200 every 2 years it only works out to about a small amount per litre of fuel, way less than other excises. The trick is to try to minimise your tax bill and pass off as much as possible to others.

I reckon speed fines will be doubled soon too. It's one tax that is so easy to sell ("It's all about safety, I dont care how much we raise, if it just saves but one life it is worth it, dont speed and it wont be a problem").

Nail on the head.

We've all driven on roads that have ridiculous speed limits but some of us have realised this is about collecting tax revenue so we play the game accordingly.

In Victoria, as soon as the fine is issued by the police and prior to any possible court action, the demerit points are subtracted from your drivers licence.

It's also an interesting position regarding hoon legislation with the confiscation of a vehicle also prior to any conviction.

oh nah its not like that in NSW.

it takes up to 2-3 months sometimes depends on how busy they are
i once thought i got away when didn't hear from them for 6 months, but then they still sent me the summons

correct - about 3 months in WA. usually it's so long that you get a white letter and go hmm I wonder what that could be and then BAM there's your face in a photo, mouth open as you yell F#%^&!

obviously the crime committed is so amazingly criminal and significant that it can wait 3 months before you know if you have committed it??!!

For your interest, I have not received anything from either the police or the court.

You won't be recieving anything from the courts, the courts are not a reminder service. If you have elected something to go to court, it is the SDR0 that issue you with what is called a "court attendance notice". If you have not recieved this and its been over a month, you need to call them to confirm that they have recieved you election form. - Thats for NSW. Don't know what state you are in....

I think he just means the infringement. They have so much business to get thru that they take baout 3 months to send you your invoice * oops I mean fine*

You won't be recieving anything from the courts, the courts are not a reminder service. If you have elected something to go to court, it is the SDR0 that issue you with what is called a "court attendance notice". If you have not recieved this and its been over a month, you need to call them to confirm that they have recieved you election form. - Thats for NSW. Don't know what state you are in....

I do not think it is a good idea. I am not interested in voluntarily asking for that.

I do not think it is a good idea. I am not interested in voluntarily asking for that.

Perhaps you will think its a good idea when you get pulled over by cops next time for an random RBT only to find out ur licence has been suspended and be charged with "drive whilst licence suspended" due to unpaid fines.

Back