Spell checker for Somersoft

Are you using IE, Firefox or some other browser?
I swiped this from the vBulletin Forums

SS forums use the program vBulletin to power these forums.

vBulletin has built in support for IESpell.
So to enable spell check in vbulletin (for IE users), the user (not the Admin) has to install IESpell.

And Firefox 2.0 has built-in spell check, which will trigger on any vBulletin 3.6.4 forum such as this one. No need to click an ABC icon or anything. Mis-spelled words immediately get a red dotted underline.

In Vbulletin, the feature isn't enabled by default for the message posting box. You have to right click it in the text box (not on the text) a box should appear, you need to have a tick next to "Spell check this field."

You can 'right click' the red underlined words to offer sugestion or add a new word to your dictionary

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Consider typing the post out on a MS Word document and use spellcheck.

I check spelling by typing the word plus "definition" into Google... if it is wrong, alternatives will be listed.

There is a spell check icon in the posting window ABC with a tick below. If you click on this and you do not have the appropriate software loaded it will direct you to a site to download.

Next time you just click on the icon and it will do the spell check.

Regards

Andrew

I simply must have a spiel chucker but find the one on Firefox annoying because it is 100% Yank. Hate being told to "ize" instead of "ise".

Is there a way to add to the dictionary as there is with a word processor?

hi all
tried fire fox but a bit too difficult to do if you are using different computers in different places.
but then my posting doesn't need a word checker would be better to add babble fish i think

With a spell checker (Australian) perhaps we'll see the last of:

duel occupancies
math (without the 's')
color
capitalized

etc

hi Strannik
not really we are in a global world and when they can get voice reco systems working alot better
even typing in one language will be able to arrive or leave in multipul languages.
the one thing english is good for is one on one negotiating but thats the spoken word not the written word.
as most of my stuff is done via msn,skype,and email and most of that medium spelling wrong or missing letters in a word is fine.
and then is followed up with a word doc or presentation.
so I see forums as an extension of those mediums so for me spelling wrong or missing letters is fine.
I think people place a bit to much on the presentation especially on a board.
but then everyone to there own.
not sure if its a major change to add a spell checker.

global world or not, i still think that people need to learn how to spell. Not so much for the sake of it, but because of benefits associated with the process itself. It's not that hard to do either. ;)

global world or not, i still think that people need to learn how to spell. Not so much for the sake of it, but because of benefits associated with the process itself. It's not that hard to do either. ;)
I suspect that, like me, you find that spelling comes naturally. :) I confess that bad spelling "leaps out" at me (I was always the proof-reader in my office), but I do know for sure that there are lots of intelligent people who have difficulty spelling in this bizarre and inconsistent language of ours.

I don't know why so many of them choose to become real estate agents, though, and inflict on us "sort after", "dinning", "double story", "quite street", "offer's"... but the number that choose to become sign writers staggers me even more ;)

Yeah it does come naturally.... if you read a lot of books. ;)
English is not even my first language, but for some reason I'm quite often asked by native speakers at work about the correct spelling of different words. :rolleyes:

, though, and inflict on us "sort after", "dinning", "double story", "quite street", "offer's"... but the number that choose to become sign writers staggers me even more ;)

Hi Tracey,

I am of the "I like to spell correctly" category (although looking back on some posts I have done the their/there mistake and a couple of others:eek:)

Yes Real Estate ad's are getting worse and the people doing them are coming up through the ranks of schooling where it isn't important anymore. Sort after is definitely one of my "favourites"

My prediction is that over time some of these incorrect spellings will become "correct" and that is how language develops.

Has anyone else noticed how many people now say "me" instead of "my"
eg. I forgot me wallet. I move in a number of different circles and it is definitely not limited to lower socio economic areas:eek:

And while I am on it, I also think we are definitely heading for almost total American spellings eg favorite instead of favourite. I have seen er instead of re creeping in on many signs etc eg center instead of centre.

As I said I guess this is how language develops:rolleyes:

On the spelling side, I have now installed iespell so that will make life easier for me now!! So I had to add "favourite" as it is American!!

Back