Spell checker for Somersoft

Yes Real Estate ad's are getting worse
Your spelling's fine, Petal. :) But at the risk of leaving myself open to attack for one of my own grammatical crimes and/or being a fuddy duddy :D: please try and get rid of my linguistic pet peeve, the phantom apostrophe! :eek:

Multiples don't need apostrophes - it should be "ads"! Unless the ad owns something, eg "the ad's title". Fruiterers seem particularly vulnerable, frequently advertising "banana's", "mango's", etc, but fruits aren't as victimised as poor acronyms - "CD's", "TV's", etc. :eek:

Oh, the humanity! :D

the number that choose to become sign writers staggers me even more ;)
Case in point- this is one in Fyshwick, in Canberra

Fridgers.jpg

but fruits aren't as victimised as poor acronyms - "CD's", "TV's", etc. :eek:
I went to school when readin', ritin' and rithmatic were instilled upon us and I claim an above average intelligence but I'm still a poor speller. After years of checking while using this and other boards I still get asset wrong as often as not. Other words I don't use often such as "weapon" will catch me every time.

I do believe a post should be readable (the "i" or "a" vowel is another problem). If I don't want people to read it, why type it? And if I'm going to "pontificate" it looks a little stupid if I can't spell it. So I like my checker.

I drink with musos and really wish I could join them in "the arts" but it is not to be, my brain is wired for logic/maths/physics. There I can converse with intelligent people on an even footing. :D

The reason I highlighted the above part of your post is that I always thought of acronyms as contractions and therefore worthy of the apostrophe. I have been corrected before so I no longer use them but I'm not convinced.

Case in point- this is one in Fyshwick, in Canberra

A hand written sign outside Frank's Pizza here used to say "Closed Twesday". It must have been there for a couple of years and every time I drove past it my eyes were drawn it. Couldn't help myself.

Multiples don't need apostrophes - it should be "ads"!
Correct... Although Petal was using the apostrophe to replace missing letters, rather than as a multiple. Because "ads" is commonly used, it does not require an apostrophe.

The reason I highlighted the above part of your post is that I always thought of acronyms as contractions and therefore worthy of the apostrophe. I have been corrected before so I no longer use them but I'm not convinced.
From The Collins Cobuild English Usage (2004):
If you want to make an abbreviation plural, you usually add a small ‘s’ to the singular abbreviation:
  • hr = hrs
  • MP = MPs
  • UFO = UFOs

Your spelling's fine, Petal. :) But at the risk of leaving myself open to attack for one of my own grammatical crimes and/or being a fuddy duddy :D: please try and get rid of my linguistic pet peeve, the phantom apostrophe! :eek:

Multiples don't need apostrophes - it should be "ads"! Unless the ad owns something, eg "the ad's title". Fruiterers seem particularly vulnerable, frequently advertising "banana's", "mango's", etc, but fruits aren't as victimised as poor acronyms - "CD's", "TV's", etc. :eek:

Oh, the humanity! :D

Tracey, I really appreciate you letting me know. It IS one of my problem areas. I know about not using it but old habits die hard. I may sound boring and old fashioned, but I LOVE words and their meanings and the correct use of grammer etc. So anyone on Somersoft that wants to correct me. I would LOVE it!!!

DOH DOH AND BLOODY DOH of course it is. I wonder if I always spell it like that hmmm I will have to check this out.

THANKS TRACEY, I DO LOVE YOU :):):)

Argh! :eek: They should be given 24 hours to correct that or attract a fine. :D
Not a chance.

I saw the sign when I didn't have a camera. I drive past there on the way home from work, but it took over a week before I was able to drive past during normal trading hours.

I suspect that, like me, you find that spelling comes naturally. :) I confess that bad spelling "leaps out" at me (I was always the proof-reader in my office), but I do know for sure that there are lots of intelligent people who have difficulty spelling in this bizarre and inconsistent language of ours.

I don't know why so many of them choose to become real estate agents, though, and inflict on us "sort after", "dinning", "double story", "quite street", "offer's"... but the number that choose to become sign writers staggers me even more ;)

sign writers?

images

images

I received an interesting email last night about the English language.
Thought you might like it...
Can you read these right the first time?
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting, I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

No Spell - Checker, please.

I for one would spend even more time on Somerosft rearranging my wonderful tuping errors.

Regards OJ:)

Back