Spelling on Forums

This thread is doing my head in...re-reading each of my posts 20 times to ensure there are no typo's!!

'Typos' is plural therefore no need for the apostrophe :D

Its also an abbreviation of 'typographical error' so should it be 'typo.s'?

Sorry couldn't resist

Last edited:
People who use the excuse that they are in a hurry, so therefore can't check and correct their spelling - bugger off and find another activity that won't cut into your important life so much.

It's a lame cop-out; I could do the same thing, but it's a respect for others to make the attempt.

We are all busy, so what?

Gen Y are not being taught spelling and grammar as essential skills. It's not drummed in, the way it was once. I never saw my children studying for spelling bees or analysing the grammatical parts of a sentence. In addition most young people practice their English using text speak. The standard in Facebook makes grossreal look like an English professor.

In light of that the standard of spelling in the forums is not really too bad. It's very rare that a post can't be understood.

It may be that Gen Y aren't at a stage they are posting in property forums (with a few exceptions). If they did they would probably get pushed off by the grammar police.

There are some times where a typo an be critical. There's a story today where one Amanda Hess wrote an article- and had to publish a correction-
"This blog post originally stated that one in three black men who have sex with me is HIV positive. In fact, the statistic applies to black men who hav sex with men".

Hi Geoff,

I think you just spelt out exactly why people should make an effort. The more mistakes made, eventually something will come back to bite.

It may be that Gen Y aren't at a stage they are posting in property forums (with a few exceptions). If they did they would probably get pushed off by the grammar police.

... or maybe they would learn to lift their standards to what is expected in the real world.

If I received badly written letters, full of spelling mistakes from a PM, I would be on the phone to the principal of the company pretty smartly about them lifting standards or I would go elsewhere. If Gen Y are going to have to be correct in their work place, with written communication, then they can do likewise on a forum when asking for help/advice.
Would you personally put up with a badly written and spelt contract, just because it was written by a Gen Y person?? I somehow doubt it.

bye

... or maybe they would learn to lift their standards to what is expected in the real world.

If I received badly written letters, full of spelling mistakes from a PM, I would be on the phone to the principal of the company pretty smartly about them lifting standards or I would go elsewhere. If Gen Y are going to have to be correct in their work place, with written communication, then they can do likewise on a forum when asking for help/advice.
Would you personally put up with a badly written and spelt contract, just because it was written by a Gen Y person?? I somehow doubt it.

bye

Posting this forum is much different to a contract or a written contract. In the "real world" spell checkers do a lot of the work. Whether you like it or not, spelling is becoming less important than you might like it to be. The world is changing and about time I say. In the bigger scheme of things spelling is way down the list of importance.

Reactions: weg
Ethann,

In Geoff's example the difference between me and men would not be picked up with a spell check program, yet makes a huge difference in the meaning of the story.

Likewise in the real world, if you just run spell check over something without taking the time to re-read it, then the lack of effort will eventually come back to haunt you.

bye

I think it boils down to whether a person attends to detail or doesn't care.

A simple reading of your post will reveal most mistakes and I can't believe that a person has time to post on a forum but no time to read what they wrote. It is indifference.

I guess that sort of thinking will be reflected in other facets of life. Maybe that's why Gen Y stills lives at home with their Mum well into adulthood :)

Posting this forum is much different to a contract or a written contract. In the "real world" spell checkers do a lot of the work. Whether you like it or not, spelling is becoming less important than you might like it to be. The world is changing and about time I say. In the bigger scheme of things spelling is way down the list of importance.

Sadly, this is true.

It's undermining what has made the English language so great IMHO

To have an expansive language system is to allow us to expand our thoughts and ideas.

To limit, or decrease it through acronyms, or anything minimalistic is to limit the thoughts and ideas ultimately.

A bit like "1984".

I think it boils down to whether a person attends to detail or doesn't care.

A simple reading of your post will reveal most mistakes and I can't believe that a person has time to post on a forum but no time to read what they wrote. It is indifference.

I guess that sort of thinking will be reflected in other facets of life. Maybe that's why Gen Y stills lives at home with their Mum well into adulthood :)

Are we sure the spelling mistakes and lack of caring is coming from Gen Y's? I personally can't see the correlation between spelling and living at home.

Are we sure the spelling mistakes and lack of caring is coming from Gen Y's? I personally can't see the correlation between spelling and living at home.

Not my idea - brought up by someone earlier in the thread as a justification as to why spelling was no longer important.

Maybe I am too old to use smilie faces after a dodgy claim. They just don't seem to put accross that something was meant tongue in cheek :eek:

Whether you like it or not, spelling is becoming less important than you might like it to be. The world is changing and about time I say. In the bigger scheme of things spelling is way down the list of importance.

Arrrgggghhh! Noooo!

Words are our means of communication! I find the 'dumbing' down of our beautiful language an affront to evolution :eek:

What would, '...a rose by any other name...' translate to in today's text-speak?

Am saddenned by this loss of respect for language...visions of Clockwork Orange are springing to mind!

Arrrgggghhh! Noooo!

Words are our means of communication! I find the 'dumbing' down of our beautiful language an affront to evolution :eek:

What would, '...a rose by any other name...' translate to in today's text-speak?

Am saddenned by this loss of respect for language...visions of Clockwork Orange are springing to mind!

lol.

"An affront to evolution". I guess that's it's more important to you than it is to me. I'm in the camp of communication is about sending and receiving a message. And this *can* be done without absolutely correct spelling.

I think that correct spelling is good, and preferred to incorrect spelling, but it's only a preference. Really there are hundreds of things more important in life than correct spelling.

Arrrgggghhh! Noooo!

to some point i agree but go through the english language and spelling of many words and you will see some really ridiculous ways of how words spell compared to how they sound out.

no wonder foreigners often have issues with the english language.

i have to say the english language is not the be all and end all of langauges.

mind you chinese is very confusing as well. :)

I have struggled with it for several years and ran out of patience but I need it for work purposes on occasions.

to some point i agree but go through the english language and spelling of many words and you will see some really ridiculous ways of how words spell compared to how they sound out.

no wonder foreigners often have issues with the english language.
Amen! I have enormous respect for people who are able to conquer English as a second language - or any second language, for that matter. I've been trying to add a second language - which is entirely phonetic - for nearly 15 years, and still can barely get past the most basic of greetings. (Though my effort has admittedly been rather sporadic.)

lol.

"An affront to evolution". I guess that's it's more important to you than it is to me. I'm in the camp of communication is about sending and receiving a message. And this *can* be done without absolutely correct spelling.

I think that correct spelling is good, and preferred to incorrect spelling, but it's only a preference. Really there are hundreds of things more important in life than correct spelling.

Yeah, I agree. There are a lot more important things than spelling, but it does make me take the writer more seriously if they can spell...like wearing the correct business attire to an interview. You may have the credentials, but if you rock up in a polo & shorts, you're probably not going to get the job unless it's on a golf course.

Appearances do count...unfortunately.

Also, to be able to corrupt a language through text-speak & the like, I think it helps if you're well versed in it first.

Maybe it's just cos I sucked at maths ;)

Back