Spelling on Forums

hi all
I went back to page 8 and I have not been mentioned so that must mean I am off the hook here on this tread
I will say simon that you are wrong
with if some one has the time to post they must have the time to check it again
well for me no
so i am a no and you are a yes
well
who wants the infomation me or you
If I want the information then yes i will read twice if I am giving the answer I don't give it twice so I don't check
I have spoken to a few people one a very interesting person that I don't think would be on this board nor do I think he even knows of it but the question was do I make my self clear and what I am saying is that getting thru
the answer was very simple
peoplke will hear or understand what they want to hear and understand
if they do not wish to hear or understand they won't
now you can stand with a loud speaker but if the person does not want to hear or understand they won't but if you whisper and the person want to know or hear they will find a way to understand.
so the question for me is not spelling on a forum thou thats the post about
but people seem to think that because people spell incorrect or just don't care ( and I am in that group) that the information that put up does not matter
well I am not using a loud speaker nor am I whispering
I am posting and if you don't like it that fine look for something you do like.
I as I have been told don't care about alot of things and have a very good nack of putting people of side but thats fine those that don't like my posts there is a queue and will need a westpac rope to keep the line in check.
now the question for me is simple do the posters that post as they wish to post
care about how I read their post
should we have a rating system on posts
1 to 5 on good spelling
another 1 to 5 for content
then 1 to 5 for originality
the 1 to 5 for advice
and 1 to 5 moral upbringing
and 1 to 5 what your post will assist someone else
then score out of 30
any under 20 the post gets deleted
what do you think of this

I'm sure I've posted this before in a similar thread, but it really distracts me when people use 'then' rather than 'than', then use 'than' rather than 'then'.

I like Ethann; he consistently gets this one correct. Maybe it's all in the name ;)

It's quite surprising how often people confuse words. They obviously hear it wring in the first place then think it's correct and keep using it. eg on this forum last week someone said "this properly doesn't apply to most people here".

Many parents don't correct their kids and they grow up speaking incorrectly.

Some children still say "I goed" and I "putted" when they are 6+. This type of language should be gone by 3-4 years old.

:eek:
Another one is "paided" instead of "paid"
My niece always says this...uncle Boods may need to have a word...

Boods

I assume your neice is young enough for it to be an excuse

Annoys me when ADULTS talk like that - you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones who might vocally take the ***** out of someone for daring to dress up or for using "fancy words" when appropriate to do so...

Two that annoy me are,

I had a race against Jill and she bet me.......[beat]

I wonder if his going tonight............... [he is or he's ]

I often see and hear these words used by young and old.

Guilty, requiring sentencing of one year on the ignore list.

I'm too am a one finger typist with no spell checker.

My thoughts are always well ahead of my typing speed often resulting in text that has a few typos, missing words or which sometimes just doesn't appear quite right.

Catch up... resume train of thought... oops, go back... wrong sentence... start again.

So how do I get spellchecker on IE?

As above :)

I guess it is the evolution of English but my kids, when talking sport, refer to one person "versing" another.

Seems they all use it now.

mrsdawnrazor said:
How about...

Can you borrow me ten dollars
LOL I'm generally reasonably well-spoken, but this was one which I struggled with, only in some contexts, well into my 20s. Even when I stopped and thought about it, I wasn't always sure which one to use. :eek: I've got it sorted now, I'm pleased to report. :)
I guess it is the evolution of English but my kids, when talking sport, refer to one person "versing" another.
My kids say this, too! I haven't heard other kids saying it, and thought it was just a quirk of my kids. :D I correct it every single time. Maybe another 3,426 times and it'll stick. :rolleyes:

Are those parents whose children speak this way too lazy to correct these things? I'm assuming it's not that they don't know better, but perhaps I'm "misoverestimating" my fellow Australians. :eek: I think that allowing poor communication skills to persist is a form of neglect, because it limits the child's options for the rest of their lives. (I'm not suggesting it's remotely comparable to "neglect" in the sense of parents who fail to feed their children, for example, but it's still neglectful.)

One which I find particularly grating is "arks" instead of "ask". In a 3yo it's understandable and perhaps even cute; in an adult it's ... not cute.

Who gives a fly f' I reckon . The content and person interest me not a fancy presentation. Although I do find the extent and trouble some people will go to with a post, mind boggling to be honest - and admire their skill .
Spose they just like writing ,some are so good at it , well apart from those that are obviously just out to impress.

Cheers

Back