Stain in 12 month out carpet

Hi All,

Tennants have just moved out and there is a stain in my loverly new carpet that the steam cleaner guy couldn't get out.

RE agent said the tennants will pay for the little bit of carpet to be replaced and not the whole room (which would look worse) She said if we took it to VCAT they would say the same thing.

Tennants are paying us $133 for the cost of replacing the little square of carpet.:rolleyes:

Does this sound right / fair?

GG

Unfortunately one of the reasons my IP's have crappy cheap carpets that get changed almost with every tenant change........

The Y-man

I realllly did not want to read that, I just put new aussie carpet into my unit in kinga not too long ago, however i have some new tenants that are dental assistants, hopefully they wont be slobs!

Your PM is not bad. If it happened to my IP then my ex-PM would tell me that I had to pay for the repair because it was normal wear and tear. I hired them to work for me however they stood on tenant's side.

I renovated entire house last year EXCEPT old carpet.

Last edited:
how bad is the stain?

might be a case where you dont actually have to do the patching but could keep the $100 odd dollars to go towards the next time you have to replace the whole carpet.

Unless there are multiple stains throughout the property this is the norm. Unfortunately the "only pays for the portion that is damaged" thing is very common - i have tried to fight for full room cost before at the tribunal but only ever got the "portion that is damaged" cost.

Hi GG,

Not fair but it is right unfortunately. This also goes for burn holes in benches etc. I was had a ruling go my way earlier this year for a hole burned into an ensuite bench but this is not always the way and I was unable to contact the tenant to pay for it anyway. I agree with what others have said - if the stain is not too bad, keep the money and just upgrade when the property really needs it.

Kind regards,
Jody

Unless there are multiple stains throughout the property this is the norm. Unfortunately the "only pays for the portion that is damaged" thing is very common - i have tried to fight for full room cost before at the tribunal but only ever got the "portion that is damaged" cost.

A joke isnt it. We have a nice house thats been renovated (including nice new carpet) that we are about to rent out. I guess if those carpets are damaged then we will revert to the cheapest option & replace it with the nice stuff, or tiles, before selling many moons away.

The carpet laid in 1 room is 1 piece. If that piece is damaged it should be replaced, not a dodgy patch job. I just dont think it would be easy to match slightly worn carpet with a new patch of it.

This is why I choose to put tiles / floorboards in living areas. May cost more, but even after wear and tear it comes up better than a stain in the middle of the carpet.

Only the bedrooms have carpet and even then I use darker colour and cheaper carpet.

To compensate for the fact that cheaper carpet doesnt feel as soft I put the gold underlay (as opposed the cheaper black underlay) so it gives it more bounce, hence giving it a better softness on the feet.

That said, I dont think a stain in the middle of the carpet is a turn off for tenants, granted it may not look as nice, but it doesnt affect usability and tenants know that.

Recommendation:

try this: Vanish Preen for Carpets.

I used it with good results. I used it to get rid of nasty stains in my carpets.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Tennants have just moved out and there is a stain in my loverly new carpet that the steam cleaner guy couldn't get out.

RE agent said the tennants will pay for the little bit of carpet to be replaced and not the whole room (which would look worse) She said if we took it to VCAT they would say the same thing.

Tennants are paying us $133 for the cost of replacing the little square of carpet.:rolleyes:

GG
Have this spot repaired by a professional, and then charge to the tenant. They should be able to inform you beforehand if it will look right.

Did you pay the carpet steamer? Call them and ask yourself if the stain can be removed.

Depending on the property, you will need to decide if you are willing to fight for your rights. Damn the tenants, that is why they pay a bond.

not fair but is right.

i had to replace the carpet in an entire house due to disgusting staining throughout - at the cost of $8,000, but only got $2,000 back off tenant via tribunal due to the "patching" laws.

This is why I choose to put tiles / floorboards in living areas. May cost more, but even after wear and tear it comes up better than a stain in the middle of the carpet.

Likewise!! Carpets in bedrooms, but lino/tiles/floorboards in living/wet areas.

Good stain remover

www.staingo.com.au

I was at the Caribbean Market in Victoria and saw this product being demonstrated on carpet. You soak the carpet in the liquid product and then mop it up with an absorbent cloth.
I purchased it and it takes old stains out of carpet , bench tops, cleans jewelery, clothing. It costs about $15 from memory but it might take the stain out of the carpet for you.

Hi All,

GG

I have just come across this decision, and thought everyone would find quite interesting.It is for ACT, but I'm sure when I get to the other states, i will find similar decisions.
It is a bit long, but well worth the time to read it.
A judge has ordered the tenants pay the LL $14K in damages. One of the items was the full replacement of a carpet, because the cleaning company couldn't clean it.
Also when the tenants stated they weren't given "a last chance" to come back to clean the unit, the judge didn't agree. They had ample time and there was no hurry for them to vacate (this is very relevent to another thread where it was stated a tenant is always given a chance to clean, and a judge would uphold that)

http://www.acat.act.gov.au/decision...95&PHPSESSID=7e9356bff21d6a80d40ff5169de1018e

Get The Carpet Dyed To Match The Stain!

Hi GG

When I bought the Mission Brown Wonder in 1994 the berber carpet was probably the original - house was built in 1974

It had some very interesting stains including what looked like it had been a whole bottle of claret (sorry, generic red wine substance) where the dining room table would have been. The carpet seam had also come apart at about the point where a chair would be pushed back away from the table.

I had the carpet dyed throughout the house to match the stains! Problem solved, and the carpet lasted another ten years until it was threadbare and presented trip hazards on the turn from the hallway to the bathroom.

At that time, it then cost me $1,650 to recarpet the whole house

The carpet dying cost about $650 from memory, lasted a couple of steam cleans, a variety of tenants and another ten years. And the carpet dying man also repaired the split seam in the dining room while he was there at no extra cost!

The company was, surprisingly, called The Australian Carpet Dyeing Company.

I haven't had to use them since but those stains were spectacular and by matching the carpet to the stains the problem was solved

Just a hint: If considering dyeing carpet, do it in warm weather as the carpet and underfelt is deep steam cleaned then saturated in dye. I reckon it took three days with the windows wide open to dry - I would go and open the house up in the morning and close it again in the evening, make sure all the wardrobe and cupboard doors were open etc

But it was certainly an economic way of dealing with an otherwise costly problem

Hope this helps
Kristine

Back