Stamp Duty on Home Loans to be Scrapped

The title refers to stamp duty on 'home loans' but the article seems to be talking about stamp duty on residential property full stop?

Anyway, would be nice but I'll believe it when I see it... :rolleyes:

STAMP duty on housing loans is set to be abolished after the Henry tax review, which is likely to recommend states be given a share of income tax to make up the difference.

The most likely path to do this would be for the commonwealth to give the states the ability to impose their own surcharge on income tax, which would be collected for them by the Australian Tax Office.

The Henry review has been inundated with submissions calling for the end of stamp duty. Tax economists argue that the tax on moving house, although easy to collect, leads to poor use of the housing stock and poor labour mobility.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25669048-601,00.html

Anyway, would be nice but I'll believe it when I see it... :rolleyes:

Steve, I'm with you. It needs to be abolished - it was part of the promises when the GST was introduced. It is an impediment to investing. It does not apply to other investments - such as the share market.

One of its upsides however, (I can't believe I'm finding an upside to stamp duty :eek:) is that because it is so large an amount of money, people do not transact housing as quickly as they might shares. This has the effect of removing a lot of volatility from houses Vs shares. This IMO is a good thing.

Back to the Henry review - it is just that - a review, and the govt. of the day will cherry pick the options they find politically palatable.

One of its upsides however, (I can't believe I'm finding an upside to stamp duty :eek:) is that because it is so large an amount of money, people do not transact housing as quickly as they might shares. This has the effect of removing a lot of volatility from houses Vs shares. This IMO is a good thing.

I take the same view, whilst I don't enjoy paying many $k's per house, we do have the benefit of it taking 'the edge' of the market because people won't just sell on a whim as easily.

Sanity check..............:)

the stamps on the loan arent much compared to the stamps on the transfer..............and most states are now close to having killed mortgage stamps anyways.

ta
rolf

That was my original thought - if they are in fact talking about the duty of the loan, who cares about a few hundred $$. I assumed they were talking about the big stamp duty on the transfer, otherwise it's seems a waste to spend much time of the review on it.

Stamp duty on the mortgage documents isnt much at all in the overall fees they charge. But I bet Foley still wont let it happen anyway.

I believe the article was all about stamp duty on land transfers, not mortgages as the article's headline suggested, I think it's merely a case of the sub-editor messing up. (incidentally, in Victoria we don't have Stamp Duty or mortgages anymore)

I actually think there's a prospect this will happen, as it'll give the states the opportunity to introduce a state-based income tax, similar to the US.

The problem for the states with stamp duty is that they have very little control over it - if the property market stalls they can't really affect the revenue raised that easily, as some states are currently experiencing.

On the other hand, if they receive x% of all income received by residents of the state, then they have a lot more control over that, and could raise more money.

Of course in America this leads to righ people living in states with low or zero state income tax - one of the reasons Florida is so popular is that it has no state income tax. Perhaps we might see some states, eg QLD/WA, use a lower income tax rate to try to attract migration?

Back