Stepping stone # 5175 - this is it

We all pay land tax and stamp duty, I just don't find income tax avoidance to the point where you don't pay any at all something particularly admirable.

Even though it's swamped by an order of magnitude or two by the other taxes? This is laughable - surely the amount of total tax paid is the key criteria here? The more assets the more taxes you inevitably contribute so I have no problem with moving tax payments from income tax to elsewhere...

I have no moral problems whatsoever in accumulating sufficient assets to not pay any income tax - I will still be paying a lot more tax than the next bloke!

Switzerland isn't much of a tax haven if you live here. The UK is much more of a tax haven for expats (I've lived in both). We all pay land tax and stamp duty, I just don't find income tax avoidance to the point where you don't pay any at all something particularly admirable.

Funny about that mindset you have. My take is people who contribute very little to the economy and employ no one, are usually the ones who make the statement that they would like to see higher taxes and more social services:rolleyes:

Funny about that mindset you have. My take is people who contribute very little to the economy and employ no one, are usually the ones who make the statement that they would like to see higher taxes and more social services:rolleyes:

good point. And why does the stimulation cheque get less for the more you earn. Surely the more tax you pay the bigger the cheque should be?

Slightly off topic

Yes you would shudder, the stamp duty shelled out to the Govt thus far by the wife and I would keep quite a few nurses and policemen gainfully employed for a decade or two.

Dazz
You may be paying the stamp duty but IMHO the money is not going to the health system and employing nurses for a decade or 2.

It may be going to employ someone keeping statistics or filling out paperwork.

The increasing frequency of reports from friends working in the health system on the front line finding or hearing of 'poor nursing care' due to lack of staff/actual beds/ skills and time to supervise junior staff is scary to a 'veteran' of 30+ years in the health system.

Apologies for highjacking thread BUT I wonder where you money is going?

Fix health care, the roads/transport in cities and then broadband.

Somehow I missed this thread :confused:

Well, congrats to you and your family!
I think family plays a big role in reaching big goals.
After years of activeness it's a little hard for some to get used to walking round the house thinking "what'll i do now?"
Most retired people I know are always out there doing stuff, deals etc.
But they are very relaxed, are no longer in a hurry do deals, and patiently wait for others to be in a hurry.
As those who want the deal most, pay the most.

again, good on ya ya grumpy ole @^&#@
:cool:

yeah i know, i'm probly older than you lol

Apologies for highjacking thread BUT I wonder where you money is going?

Hi Sheryn,

I would agree whole heartedly with your suggestion, but unfortunately, my obligation to the Govt is simply to foot the tax bill.

What they decide to do with the revenue they collect is entirely their decision.

As Kerry Packer stated in front of the Senate Committee hearing back in '91 I think ; "You guys aren't doing a good enough job with the money that I do give you. I have no intention of donating extra to you."......or something like that.

Well, it's been a month now since pulling the pin, and I suppose it is still too early to say either way whether I enjoy it. It is good to have the time to stop and think properly, I don't miss the rush rush, and I definitely don't miss the traffic on the road in the morning or in the afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon was quite good, we had a bit of a "retired men of the street" chat about a range of stuff on my front lawn.

There was a 66 yr old retired Geo who is recovering from a stroke. He's lucky to be alive, but counts his blessings every day. He retired decades ago and spends his days pottering around his properties. Owns about 2 acres in the heart of the CBD and another 12 or so acres about 9km out. He's a wheel, and a very big inspiration for me to learn off. Currently teaching me some more tricks about negotiation. Reckons I'm way too soft and a complete pushover.

There was a very kind and witty 71 yr old retired civil engineer who hates Govt and all lawyers. We get on well.

There was a 68 yr old half retired Geophysicist. Less said about him the better.

There was a 59 yr old ex-Police superintendent who couldn't afford to live here without his wife supporting him, but he's practical and has some cracking stories. Good bloke.

Rounding out the gaggle was a 38 yr old dropkick engineer who is considered to be dripping wet behind the ears. Apparently I need to get to 50 before they'll even listen to "the young whipper-snapper". Most have children in their 40's so I can see their point of view.

Well, it's been a month now since pulling the pin, and I suppose it is still too early to say either way whether I enjoy it. It is good to have the time to stop and think properly, I don't miss the rush rush, and I definitely don't miss the traffic on the road in the morning or in the afternoon.

Dazz

Was just thinking yesterday that you must be about to hit the 'one month milestone' .....

..... and I was wondering how Mrs Dazz was surviving??? Are you driving her crazy yet??? :p

But seriously, it's good to hear that you're not missing the 'working-for-a-living' routine and the rush hour nightmares. Lots more time to keep working on those deals - and to toughen up those negotiating skills!

Cheers
Lynn

EDIT: Silly question - am sure Mrs Dazz is made of tougher stuff than that!

Dazz

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that - I've got a golf-mad spouse, too, so I understand completely!! :rolleyes:

Hubby thinks he's going to play 5 days a week when he retires ..... have I got news for him!!! :D

Cheers
Lynn

We have a WINNER now its off to the pro shop and on to the fairway this time for LIFE!
Well done and congrats , all of those negative words and jelous actions will be off to work tomorrow and the next.
Cheers to you and i am sure your words and actions have enlightened many here for a while, and thanks craig.

I've got a golf-mad spouse

The game drives me nuts. Can't stand it. I thought retiring would allow us to spend more time together....but it has allowed her to up her time on the course from 1 or 2 per week up to 5 and sometimes 6 per week.

Howzabout we try a little social experiment ?? Let us compare techniques for trying to keep our respective partners off the course and doing something better. I reckon you'll have far more success your end from wife to hubby, rather than what I need to contend with.

Bayview and his lot have a lot to answer for. :(

He's a wheel, and a very big inspiration for me to learn off. Currently teaching me some more tricks about negotiation. Reckons I'm way too soft and a complete pushover.
Oh really! I'd hate to think what he'd call me. You've inspired me to toughen up. I didn't give in to my tenant when I was doing a final inspection and she was agressively trying to convince me all the damage to the property was wear and tear. I was thinking Dazz wouldn't put up with this resi crap and after a five minute heated discussion I finally got my way. So thanks Dazz :)

I've been away from the forum for some time, so this is a little late, but congrats Dazz (or whatever you call yourself on here now).

Truly inspirational and all that touchy-feely stuff. What I enjoy most is that you sound like any number of guys I could be chatting to over a neighbourhood fence, or after work, or at a bbq.

Again, well done.

Back