Still motivated in your day job?

I am very lucky because I have a day job that motivates me every day!
Motivates me to build up my property portfolio and get out of the place as soon as bloody possible. A bad day at my work happens nearly every week so I get a constant reminder why I am moving closer and closer to working for myself in property.

You're right, that is a great motivater.
Only thing worse that a crappy job, would be a great job, you don't want to leave...and then you have absolutley no motivation at all.:)

Well you get a bit more motivation when you get a good bonus and pay rise.

Not always - if you still hate your job then no amount of money can make up for it. In effect it can add to the stress because you think, how can I give up this income to take a job I might actually like. Especially of you are the main bread winner with heavy financial responsibilities.

Haha the motivation lasts for around one week. Then it's the same.

Nah dont agree..i love my job...been doing it for 12 years, retired 10 times though....importing and exporting...always something new to learn and i deal with both good and bad people....always a challenge...

best job in the world for me...when the challenge dissipates then its time to retire for good....

What I really love about this is the fact that you were not afraid to make a change, even thought things were not too bad (financially) at the time.

Most people would never do it; live life in a safe mode.

But, you had a crack, and went from safe and nice, to even better.

good work.

By the way; your story reminds me of "Office Space" - a classic movie.

Sorry for the slow reply - I have just got back from 5 weeks traveling.

I never mentioned that my location of "choice" was a bit off the traditional path. I actually now work in Kazakhstan - not most peoples first choice! so yes definatly moved out of 'safe mode'.

I have never seen office space, however, several people have now mentioned it so maybe I should try and find it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Blacky

Well would you believe it! I just got a pay rise...so so so happy, things have been tight around the place but now things have just been made a whole lot easier :) A decent pay rise too, ~30% :)

Motivation is up now lol

It won't last

Well would you believe it! I just got a pay rise...so so so happy, things have been tight around the place but now things have just been made a whole lot easier :) A decent pay rise too, ~30% :)

Motivation is up now lol

It won't last mate. Congratulations on the pay rise but the motivation it buys doesn't last that long at least it never has with me the + is the extra cash lets you invest to get 1 step closer to not having to work:)....... at least thats what I keep telling myself.

Motivation is up now lol

Congratulations.

Going to start a new job in November with about a 12% salary increase over the current job. The extra money will help as wife is working 2.5 days and we have a 11 month old as well.

I enjoy my line of work, so that is one saving grace. So a similar situation to you, though without the 30% payrise. :eek:

every time my job frustrates me, i just try to remember that its what allows me to move toward my investing goals.

if i didnt have to have it as a vehicle i would definately be doing something different!

Good luck with the new job! I'm sure your 12% payrise is equivalent to 50% of my wage! :rolleyes: (3rd year apprentice!)

Don't worry Andrew, some of us were there not too long ago. I couldn't believe the pay rise I got going from apprentice wages to a full tradesman's paycheck... 300% increase in one fell swoop....I almost thought I had won the Lotto!

Good luck with the new job! I'm sure your 12% payrise is equivalent to 50% of my wage! :rolleyes: (3rd year apprentice!)

Hi Andrew,

Six years ago I was still working in Coles Express while doing my Graduate degree, so I definitely remember what it was like earning that amount. From what I am told, your pay goes up by a large amount once you become a fully-qualified tradie.

Regards,

Daniel Lee

Back