Strata or Landlord - balcony fly screen door - original fitting

hi guys
i just have a quick question re: strata

my fly screen door has come off the railings completely

the Strata plan was registered 1980

my understanding is that if it was part of the original fitting, then the strata manager is responsible for it as oppose to the landlord

also i noticed all other units in the block have a metal security door in front of the balcony glass door - i cannot ascertain completely if my fly screen door is part of the original fitting but it appears that way - where as the other tenants all have sophisticated metal security doors.

thanks

So your question is, does the landlord pay to fix or does the strata?

I dunno. But it's interesting that I just read another thread where somebody asks whether an increase to their strata levy is "legal". The money to fix the common property has to come from somewhere. If you get strata to fix your door, other owners might get the idea to share their renovation costs with you too.

yes precisely - in a non precise way :(

i read that if the the SP was registered after 1974 it would be on the owner to cover

i also read that if it was an original fitting, it is the strata responsibility.

i couldnt find anything which pertained to sharing rennovation costs though :D

i couldnt find anything which pertained to sharing rennovation costs though :D

You get strata to pay for your door. Next thing other owners are getting strata to fix their doors and windows and balcony railings... and your strata levy doubles.

i understand your viewpoint - though i do i pay for levies and never ask strata to do anything for me in the past 7 years

Try it on, if the strata manager fixes it, great. If not, pay for it yourself. The strata manager should have access to the history of the building and if they have replaced the doors there will be a note about it.

It is not as if it is a major expense for either party. Changing the door from a flyscreen to a security door is an improvement not a like for like replacement - so I don't fancy your chances.

We have a security screen business and in 99.99999% of the time it is the owner (not strata) that pays for window screens and doors.

Glass doors (we do lots of maintainece work on locks and rollers) are paid for my strata.

Back