Strata Title Motel

I'm looking at buying a motel in a small rural town in NSW. It's 10 rooms that have 1 double & 1 single. Is it likely the council will let me strata title them? If so, what costs might I be up for? I suspect they would benefit from having kitchenettes installed. They would be effectively be studio apartments. I'm not too sure if this is limitation vs 1 bed units. I'd be paying around $300K for it.

Is there a manager's unit as well? That may be the sweetener.
What other facilities does it have? eg: commercial kitchen/laundry/pool?

Is there additional land?

What does the zoning allow? Can you have units under the current zoning?

Is it a viable business as it stands (quite small with only 10 rooms - owner/family operated without fulltime staff).

Can you tack on another floor or additional rooms to make it more attractive to a better operator?

Is there a manager's unit as well? That may be the sweetener.
What other facilities does it have? eg: commercial kitchen/laundry/pool?

Is there additional land?

What does the zoning allow? Can you have units under the current zoning?

Is it a viable business as it stands (quite small with only 10 rooms - owner/family operated without fulltime staff).

Can you tack on another floor or additional rooms to make it more attractive to a better operator?

Thanks Scott,

Yes it has a 3br managers unit as well. No pool. Has kitchen, laundry, liquor licence.

The land is 1300sq but the 2 buildings do take up a fair bit of that. It's zoned residential. It's leased to an operator for 3 years + 3 year option. I think it would be viable as is.

The 3yr lease will give you holding income until the option period so you can get into position in yr 2 with plans for the council. The DA should run for five years so it will be valid beyond the end of the option should it be exercised.

The 3yr lease will give you holding income until the option period so you can get into position in yr 2 with plans for the council. The DA should run for five years so it will be valid beyond the end of the option should it be exercised.

Couldn't I just get the DA then sell it on with the lease still running? Or alternately sell rooms with guaranteed income (i.e. a share of the lease).

I dont think selling rooms is a viable idea. Financing issues for a start, as well as limited interest Id suggest from likely buyers.

Back