strata titling a block

The search function actually came up with quite a few threads which i have read through but the info is a little vauge on the process of strata titling. I have spoken to my solicitor and finance so happy with how that sits at the moment.

We are looking at a tired but solid older block of 4 x 2 bedroom flats (2 on top of each other), the good news is that they all open onto balconies so no internal hallways/stairwells/etc... which need fire raiting. To strata title them i understand you need to comply with current fire regs which will mean that the walls and floors between need to be fire rated.
Which trade do i speak to about getting this done? Would I be able to contract this directly or would the works need to be done by a licensed builder as i can't imagine i can swing this one under 'owner builder'.
Are there any ball parks around a cost per m^2 of this service?

Once the fire work is done what other items may need consideration before applying for strata?
Which department at council would i speak too, i assume planning but no doubt they will bounce me to building for some inspections?

If there are no alterations to the existing building, by which a fire protection company can tell you by checking the building and providing you with a quote, then you wouldn't need more than that fire protection company.

IF any alterations to the existing structure are needed to comply with access and egress regulations, you'd have to turn to a licenced Builder.

As Builders, there are a few companies we use for fire protection which are guaranteed to provide quality work. Here are some: Leemark, Entire Fire Services, GP Fire. Also, an approximate rate for fire protection services for a NEW build can be rated at ~33 / m2. BUT, I do have to state that the square metre rate is used in construction just as a rough ball park figure. The fluxuation in price may vary in accordance to the shape of the structure, purpose etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

Currently waiting it out a bit before we attack them after a rather stalled and failed auction. (IMO they are 20% overpriced at the moment basically wanting to get the value of the units if they where already strata and in A grade renovated condition plus top value for the range of the developement if it was already with DA.

Back