Struggle Street

The trailer looks a bit forced; the kind of creative editing that A Current Affair would use.

I hold property in nearby St Marys, and spent several weeks there recently for a 'guerilla' reno whilst in between tenants.

Saw a couple of questionable locals around but by and large found the area to be nothing like this trailer portrays.

Maybe it used to be much worse? I mean what I saw in this video wasn't Sudan-Iran-Detroit bad. Perhaps what you're seeing is the cream of the crop - the real dregs have moved to Brisbane.

obvious-troll-wedding.jpg
:rolleyes:

When suburbs like Blacktown, Doonside etc slowly increase in value as families move in and replace the housing commission folks, what happens to those people, where do they end up going? I would assume that there is always going to be a % of the population that fit this low-income profile. Do they get pushed to some country towns or how do they end up finding accommodation in Sydney?
Does the government build new housing commission properties?

From what I have researched few years back, some of the kids which grown up in these housing commissions have done well in their life and bought their own place and moved out. so I suppose the population should be sitting on a decreasing trend.

But what I do concern is how much negative effects would these program cause to the suburb? its sort of like the stigma is slowly washing away by housing price increasing but all in a sudden it got re-instated again :eek:

When suburbs like Blacktown, Doonside etc slowly increase in value as families move in and replace the housing commission folks, what happens to those people, where do they end up going? I would assume that there is always going to be a % of the population that fit this low-income profile. Do they get pushed to some country towns or how do they end up finding accommodation in Sydney?
Does the government build new housing commission properties?

Pushed further out or more gov homes are built (usually further out).

I am from Brisbane and 30 years ago you wouldn't buy or walk through southbank at night. Full of drug dealers, gangs, prostitutes etc etc... fast forward the demand for closer living to the city increase the value of the area and forced people to pay more for living in that area which pushed those people out.

Same thing with Fitzroy here in Melbourne there is public housing but also the rich are in and more moving in. Heidelberg West is another place that is going through this as well now.

These people are disgusting.

They have shown some previews on TV, for this show.

No such thing as 'struggle street'
Should rename it "poor life choices street'

It looks like they've hung around for a few months and selected the lowest of the low to document. I do feel for low income earners in Sydney though- the lifestyle is terrible.
But at the end of the day they can always chose to re-locate to a cheaper capital city or regionally. The people portrayed in this film aren't low income earners though. They appear to be people living off welfare so they wouldn't be able to move even if they wanted to.

We love watching the cooking shows on SBS and see the trailer of this - my kids all dissolve in a fit of giggles every time it comes on, and start hollering "Gidovahere"! :D

Back