Stylist makeover

I know someone here in Canberra who does interior decorating, the majority of her clients are OO, however there are certainly a small pocket who get her to dress the place up for sale. I guess it would depend how bad the place was before hand, as to whether it would add improvement or not. I wouldn't pay the price for it myself, but then I actually like doing that sort of thing myself and have an eye for colours and such.

I found it definately made places more salable, which usually translated into better $$... it also made more people come to the open homes when with styling the photos looked so schick.

i was trying to sell a one bedroom unit back when the market dived in 2008 that had been on the market for around 10 months and the highest offer we had received was $300k. It had tenants renting it at $400 per week, which was a really good rent for the area. it was being advertised at offers of $360k.

Owners finally decided to style it... sold the first week it was opened styled for $365k, and had people fighting over it. Dont ask me where these people were in the 10 month prior when they could of bought it for a lot less, the advertising was virtually the same in all the same places, but with new shiney photos.

We used a crowd to do the interior of our recent PPoR sale.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-dromana-106441694?tm=1270088111&c=19157233

It looked terrific; made us want to move back in, and when I went back inside the house a few weeks later after the furniture and stuff was removed, it still looked good, but not as great.

The cost was $3,500 from memory, and in our case was worth it to help get a sale.

I don't think it increased the value much if at all, but certainly enhanced the appeal....the "saleability".

What's included in the stylists fee? eg do they supply furniture, plants, art work etc for hire? or is it just advice? Anyone have any weblinks to some stylists?
Cheers :)

I think stylists are worth every cent. Many disagree - usually those who spout the valuers' line of "a 3BR 1bath in this suburb is worth $X" :rolleyes: - but the fact is that buying a property is very rarely done on this basis. Most buyers are owner-occupiers, and they much prefer a well-presented property over a less-well-presented one, as evidenced by the show "Selling Houses" and "Selling Houses Australia". I think it's because humans are so visual, and so many people are only able to see what's there, rather than the potential.

I think it probably depends on the value of your place, if you have a high value IP then spending money on a stylist would be money well spent, if you have a lower value property then I think you could probably get a better return simply by staging the furniture yourself.

Back