Sub leasing inner city apartment to other people ?

Yes that is correct Terry, you describe the situation exactly as it is happening now every day.
some apartment (the older one) the access card can be duplicated for a cost ~ $50 - 80.

putting it into the mailbox is also a good way to share it, so that only the mailbox key is shared or duplicated.

I also see some people access to the apartment through the garage :) to avoid the patrol guards.

Sounds like an acknowledgement that something's not quite right!

Yes, it happens in Regis 1 2 3 apartment in Castlereagh Sydney :)
the living room is partitioned and also the sunny room is covered by cardboxes / newspaper for shared by 2 persons.

Cool - it gets better!

As Aaron pointed out, tenants may not sublet without formal landlord approval.

Does it have a balcony? I reckon you could get at least two more tenants there. What about a garage?

Just had a look on Gumtree and there are heaps of adverts for this type of accommodation.

One even mentioned extra large 'gigantic' wardrobes - maybe the hint was that you could rent the room and then sub sub lease the wardrobes for even more people :D:D:eek:

My Thai friends tell me inspections are a real pain because they have to move things about and get everyone to leave so that only 3 people appear to be living there.

Potential punters in NSW may like to read this:
Boarding Houses Bill 2012
http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlgho...n/Exposure Draft Boarding House Bill 2012.pdf

See if you may be classified as a boarding house.

Yes that's true, my Thai friends did that as well, somehow they got "insider" notification before the inspection time.

Perhaps it's no laughing matter but I couldn't help smiling reading some of these posts!

These landlords are in Brisbane as well, one large extended family living downstairs where you hit your head if you stand up in places, heaps of converted bedrooms upstairs including spaces like sunroom/verandahs made into rooms all leased to foreign students, leases paid in cash I presume.. So not just a problem created by the students.

This market can be catered for legally though, can get generous per room rentals when you do the right thing fitting out a house.

Its a safety risk. What if a fire breaks out as recently happened in Bankstown. One woman ended up dying. The apartment had been reconfigured so as to create another bedroom in the living room. I believe that this help spread the fire because of the materials used. Having more people in the unit may also result in problems escaping if there was an incident.

Questions

I know an investor who owns a normal 3 bedrooms house in the inner sydney suburb. He coverted the house into 8 bedrooms and rented out each bedroom individually to students. So, he earned more than 1k a week, it was much better rather than leasing the whole 3 bedroom house to a tenant.

Is this legal?

I know an investor who owns a normal 3 bedrooms house in the inner sydney suburb. He coverted the house into 8 bedrooms and rented out each bedroom individually to students. So, he earned more than 1k a week, it was much better rather than leasing the whole 3 bedroom house to a tenant.

Is this legal?

No. And dangerous. What happens if something bad happens. His $1000 per week will soon be gone along with everything else he owns.

Its a safety risk. What if a fire breaks out as recently happened in Bankstown. One woman ended up dying. The apartment had been reconfigured so as to create another bedroom in the living room. I believe that this help spread the fire because of the materials used. Having more people in the unit may also result in problems escaping if there was an incident.

Correct, that could be the issue, especially with running a heater unattended.
some of my Asian friend, blocks the smoke detector with plastic bag or simply unload the battery because the nature of Asian cooking which generates lots of fumes and smokes :-|

Is this legal?

Correct, this is what I'd like to achieve :)
people in Burwood, Inner west Sydney also does the same thing in the old Victorian double brick house.

well as long as you don't claim negative gearing component anymore I guess ATO shouldn't care about it.

Is this legal?

Not sure if renting rooms out individually is illegal per se.
Depends if, according to the law, past a certain point, the house would need to be registered as a boarding house.
I mean, I'm sure it's not illegal to rent out a room or 2 in a house. But would there be a point where it becomes illegal if you have not registered.
Also the renovations may not be legal.
The income, whatever the amount is, is legal (subject to registration mentioned above). Depends on whether your friend declares it or not.

Correct, this is what I'd like to achieve :)
people in Burwood, Inner west Sydney also does the same thing in the old Victorian double brick house.

well as long as you don't claim negative gearing component anymore I guess ATO shouldn't care about it.

More fool you if you don't claim your allowables. ATO is not council & doesn't care if you run a meth lab or hydroponic garden but if you declare your income & expenses, you're not evading paying taxes.

Council may see it in a different light.

Does anyone here know if sub letting the room in your apartment where you rent is allowed in NSW ?

It's in the tenancy agreement, normally it will state the MAX number of ppl allowed.

Even if it's not listed, i'm pretty sure over crowding is illegal...

and I can just stay in the living room with the sofa bed which is practically I'm paying minimal amount of rent just to pay the utility bills.

WTH...what's the point- your the head lessor at $850 p/w your going to go through ALL this trouble and still living in the lounge room...

Why don't you just sub-rent ....Or find a cheaper place.

Regards
Michael

I did this in inner sydney (ultimo, pyrmont) for about three years, although I rented large top floor units with 3 bed rooms and rented the rooms out for $440 each to couples. My wife and I payed around $60 rent in total for years.

I did get lucky with cheap rents though.

Then the rents increased too much when the landlords realised how much they could get.

It ended up being too hard so I just rented a small place. It's not worth it anymore, too much of a headache.

Back