Suburb Stigma

It's amazing to listen to those that can remember, as they tell of how dodgy Fremantle used to be.

Of course that was before the Americas Cup changed everything.

Try getting a run down cottage there for less than $700k now....

I'll throw my hat in here for the Logan and Inala burbs around Brissie. When I first bought in Kingston, it had a really bad name. Now, not as much. The yards are getting mowed, no more rubbish on the street, the "bad" people couldn't afford to live there now and it's slowly changing. Inala, same boat...these suburbs still have a way to go, but shootings and house fires are down in these suburbs :) :):)

In Melbourne Mordialloc and Oakleigh have got more respectable, but I don't know if their house prices have outperformed the metro average or not.

As for the up and comers, Braybrook & Heidelberg West look well positioned relative to dearer areas nearby.

However there seems to be a lag - those two suburbs are no longer 'cheap' to buy houses in but their average incomes are still very low. Plus you see many 'feral' type on the streets.

As rents are low (there's poor capacity to pay more) yields are also low (like Y-man's Chadstone example http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=95523772&s=vic&tm=1220331038 of a 2.5% yield).

You could also make a strong case for Hampton East/Highett as this used to be housing commission but is next door to Brighton/Sandringham.

Going the other way, small country areas on the fringes have been swept up by suburbia and new estates. Some say that population increase has brought 'ferals' and 'crime'. Places like Lilydale, Pakenham, Healesville and potentially Sunbury could have degentrified, as did suburbs like Laverton when the RAAF downsized and many older western suburbs when dole replaced manufacturing labour as the main source of income.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
In Adelaide there is a lot of racial stigma also.

The eastern suburbs of Campbelltown, Athelstone etc are all thought of as Italian, the northern suburbs of Elizabeth etc thought of as pommie, a lot of Greeks settled around Thebarton and a lot of the Woodville to Port Adelaide area is considered as either asian or aboriginal.

Much of this is based on fact, these were the "new" areas at the time that we were getting significant migration for these countries.

Not sure if this is unique to Adelaide or has happened elsewhere.

Most of the areas I've mentioned above are ones that investors are buying into now as there is a perception that they are the undervalued ones.

I grew up in Mentone. About 25 yrs ago I went to Aspendale to pick up a Canoe. My immediate thought was, what a scummy area. I now live in that same street.

My parents have since moved to Sth Frankston. My brother and sister too live there. I was shattered when we moved there while I was at Uni. Believe it or not, there are some awesome facilities in Franskton, its a city unto itself. Unless you live there, you will never know how good the area is listening to all the crap that comes from Sam Newman etc. Sure there are some unsavoury characters, but I see them in St Kilda, Malvern and Camberwell too. As time goes on it will get better and better.

I grew up in Mentone. About 25 yrs ago I went to Aspendale to pick up a Canoe. My immediate thought was, what a scummy area. I now live in that same street.

My parents have since moved to Sth Frankston. My brother and sister too live there. I was shattered when we moved there while I was at Uni. Believe it or not, there are some awesome facilities in Franskton, its a city unto itself. Unless you live there, you will never know how good the area is listening to all the crap that comes from Sam Newman etc. Sure there are some unsavoury characters, but I see them in St Kilda, Malvern and Camberwell too. As time goes on it will get better and better.

Agree with you 100% toony. I moved to Frankston from Hawthorn 7 years ago and have never looked back. Hawthorn is a great place but its bad
points are really bad, particuarly petty crime to cars and houses, noise,
traffic and parking. On the other hand since moving to Frankston I was aware of the Frankston stigmas which to some extent are true, however
the good Frankston points are really fantastic, far better than what I first perceived, particuarly the great golf courses. beach and parks. Did you know 20% of the Frankston area is dedicated to parks and reserves, not
many suburbs can claim that! So here, here to Frankston.

SS

Box Hill (Vic) used to have bad stigma (high crime, drugs) attached to it as well 10-12 years ago and has improved significantly since then.

In this thread, we have listed many Austrlaian suburbs that already have vastly different public profiles than they did fifteen years ago. Other areas seem to be “on the improve” from feral to fashionable.

Such gentrification, as we investors like to call it, has coincided with a period of low interest rates, high wages, high employment, national prosperity and economic growth.

Question: What should we expect to happen to these suburbs in a tougher climate with higher unemployment and stretched finances? Particularly, those suburbs that are “on the move” but have not yet completed the transition. Will the drug dealers move back in?

Any thoughts?

Unless you live there, you will never know how good the area is listening to all the crap that comes from Sam Newman etc. Sure there are some unsavoury characters, but I see them in St Kilda, Malvern and Camberwell too. As time goes on it will get better and better.
Don't think anyone listens to Newman, do they?

As for the unsavoury characters...they can be found in any suburb in any state, not just the Frankston area.

Regards
Marty

ffc1883_1996 said:
Question: What should we expect to happen to these suburbs in a tougher climate with higher unemployment and stretched finances? Particularly, those suburbs that are “on the move” but have not yet completed the transition. Will the drug dealers move back in?

I dont think so.
Once an area turns "family friendly", or even starts going that way... it immediately starts weeding out the druggos, because those "family friendly" neighbours start dobbing them in, and all their regular customers and suppliers move away from the area to a cheaper, less "nosy-neighbourhood" area.

Take blacktown for example.... 5-10years ago it was a massive drug-centre. families started moving in, and now those less desirable folks have moved out to other less desirable areas. Blacktown experienced one of the BEST percentage growth figures from the last sydney boom, and is already showing signs of rallying again (after a little droop in prices).

I would be targeting blacktown myself, but the super bargains are already drying up there and prices are starting to go up (just a little). Therefore im looking at nearby suburbs and similar places that are showing signs of gentrification (like St Marys)

Any thoughts?

It would appear that these are the D&G days (to last another 12-16 months?)
so what effect it has on the transitional suburb(s) in question, then the
answer is "this is it".

For example, take the suburbs of Richmond, St Kilda Port Melbourne and Williamston, these are much heralded suburbs to occupy, they all have great infrastructure but they all still carry the legacy of there past to present, they still have crime, drugs, prostitution etc.... that gave them the bad reputations to start with. So maybe the people can live with all the
badies as long as the facilities are there.

SS

Herald Sun Survey - Top 50 Livable Suburbs in Melbourne

For all its worth, its pleasant to see that Frankston earned a mention in the
Herald Sun today, for being in top 50 (out of 260+ suburbs) most "Livable
Melbourne suburbs"

SS

I recently purchased my first unit at Southport, on the Gold Coast in QLD. Everyone at work turned their nose up when I mentioned where I bought my unit. However the local council with financial assistance from the federal government has begun to renovate the broadwater parks to hopefully attract more familes and push the stigma locals further away into neighbouring suburbs. When I drive or walk around my neighbourhood I can see many of the 30 yr old wooden elevated houses being replaced with new rendered brick units. Hopefully with rent increases the stigma locals will be replaced with professionals looking to live closer to work instead of living close to the Centrelink office/ local pub.

Last edited:
I just purchased my first property in Frankston North, I really hope that in time it will shake of some of it's Stigma, to get the FHOG I agreed to live in the property for 6 months on my own and now i'm completely ****ing myself.

I just purchased my first property in Frankston North, I really hope that in time it will shake of some of it's Stigma, to get the FHOG I agreed to live in the property for 6 months on my own and now i'm completely shitting myself.

Hey, I dont think its that bad.

Dont piss of your neighbours, keep your doors and windows locked, dont walk the dog at night and dont look at the people in the car next to you at the lights.

There are always a few rotten apples. But there are many decent people in the area who are doing the best they can for their families. You will be surprised. I am sure you will find it a positive and rewarding experience.

Queenslander

Hate to sound a bit negative Citystar, but replacing Queenslanders with rendered units dosen't sound appealing. A 30 year old Queenslander dosen't
quite match up my view of what a classic Queenslander is, are you sure
there Queenslanders? eg:-elevated building surrounded by verandah,
weatherboard cladding and ferderation styled pitched roofs etc...

Bayside what would you be *****ing yourself about? Your about to proceed
with a major lifestyle change from what your use to. Give yourself time
to settle in, get to know your neighbours, don't lead your expectations
with grandeur ideals. Familarise yourself with the local and peripheral areas
and give yourself time to climatize. You just might like it!

hehe, true. Probably isn't that bad.. a few well kept houses in the street and a bit of work seems to be going on around the place.

Hate to sound a bit negative Citystar, but replacing Queenslanders with rendered units dosen't sound appealing. A 30 year old Queenslander dosen't
quite match up my view of what a classic Queenslander is, are you sure
there Queenslanders? eg:-elevated building surrounded by verandah,
weatherboard cladding and ferderation styled pitched roofs etc...

Definately not Queenslanders then, all of the homes are elevated wooden houses with weatherboard cladding, minus the verandah.

Back