Suburbs vs Communities

Can someone please explain the difference between the U.S. and Australia with regards to geographical terms.

In Australia, for example, we have major cities like Sydney and Perth and lessor ones such as Penrith and Ipswich…within those cities you have suburbs…. …. then you have places called Shires (relates to local government jurisdiction right?) like Redlands or Beaudesert, which are next to Brisbane….shires also have many suburbs....in Tassie shires are called districts right?….and going down from that in size you have towns …or are towns bigger than shires?….anyway, not to confuse things - in terms of region, we are mainly organised into cities, then shires/towns/disrticts/municipalities/councils/whatever-seems-to-be-the-going-term, and suburbs?

My question is – are suburbs common in the U.S? They talk about counties and communities. Are communities like suburbs in Australia? Are counties like shires or districts areas? How come in the U.S. a particular place, eg Burwood in California, can have up to a dozen different postcodes. If Burwood is classed as a city or suburb, do they distinguish areas within just by postode (ie, zipcode in the U.S.).

Confused.

George

In general, there is little difference between Australia and the US in this area.

Suburbs/town/cities/states usually refer to geographic areas.

Shires/counties/districts/municipalities refer to local/state Government boundaries.

grubar30 said:
How come in the U.S. a particular place, eg Burwood in California, can have up to a dozen different postcodes

What most people consider to be "Newcastle" encompasses about 45 different postcodes geographically, but the suburb "Newcastle" has only one postcode.

What youre talking about isnt limited to the US. Try poking your way around the ABS website one day - its enough to make a demographer go crazy :D

Jamie

Last edited:
Hi grubar30,

I'm American, and Jamie is right, USA is pretty similar to Oz. Suburbs are incredibly common, although areas are not usually called a suburb until you get farther out from the CBD. Each city and state is made up of several counties. There are many suburbs within a county. Each county has their own courts, taxes, rates, rulings, etc. Suburbs can exist across counties too. For instance, the town I lived in, Barrington - is a suburb northwest of Chicago that spans a pretty large area. There's a road going straight through it called Lake Cook Road. Everyone living to the south of that Road is in Cook County, everyone to the north is in Lake County - this can make a huge impact actually, because for instance land taxed in Lake County is about twice that of Cook County (Cook County extends all the way to the City of Chicago). A district may cover more than one suburb, and depending on which district you live in decides which school you go too - so again can make a big difference. Districts also have different taxes, rules, etc - and have their own school system, but not their own court system. You vote within your district within your county. So, living in North Barrington in Lake County in District 220 - you pay higher land tax and higher tax for schools. Living in South Barrington, you live in Cook County in District 220 - lower land tax, again higher school tax. Zipcodes generally cover a suburb. Barrington consists of North Barrington, South Barrington, Barrington Hills, Lake Barrington, and Barrington - all same zipcode, same district, but different counties.

Did that confuse you enough? Sorry!

Cheers,
Jen

confused about communities

hey JenD,

Thanks for taking the time to explain....I think I have a good grasp of it now.

Just one thing - what's the idea behind a community? How is it defined?
I see it mentioned on lots of many websites (eg, www.epodunk.com).

George

Back