Successful Holiday Rental Tips

Does anyone have any successful holiday rental tips?

I have recently settled on a holiday property in the Victorian High Country. Its about 15 minutes drive from Mansfield near Lake Eildon and Mt Buller.

I want to put it on the Holiday Rental Market and use it when its not occupied.

I know from an investing point of view its not good. But from a lifestyle perspective its great for the family, kids and friends.

Has anyone done this type of thing? If so, what was successful and what would you maybe do differently next time?

over xmas / new year ask a stupid amount of money and someone will pay it. I put mine up about $1000/week every year and there never seems to be a shortage of takers.

it's not as bad an investment as you may think. if i worked it hard enough it could be better than a normal rental yield. theoretically eing beachfront ht eCG over time should be higher, but the last couple of years have certainly not been good.

oh and get a pin code lock box so you can leave your keys in by the front door

You need a good local cleaner who will also buy the loo paper,dish washing liquid etc. Charge the tenant a cleaning fee.

Don't provide linen - too much effort getting it washed and back for the next tenant.

Agree with the coded key holder, just get the cleaner to reset it after each booking.

I have found Stayz.com excellent for advertising. Take good photos and write a good blurb about the area. Be very clear about what the tenants need to bring eg; sheets, teatowels.

I always provided tea, coffee, sugar, milk and basics like oil, spices, salt and pepper.

cheers

Back