Suggestions for colour combinations

Hi Everyone!

Don't mean to lazy here, but has anyone got some great laminex combinations/colours for a farm house kitchen?

As much as I would love granite tops, glass splasbacks etc this is not practical. If I could get some Colour combinations for the doors and benchtop this would be greatly appreciated.

In return, I will pm you for a great colour combination with feature wall colours for a town house. It looks fantastic! ;)

Mrs Bird

Dear Mrs Bird

Do you mean a real farmhouse in the country with cows & things?

Does the room have any connection with any other room eg meals area

What about natural light - and which wall does the light bounce off and where are the shadows?

What do you see when you glance out the window?

eg

You could do the real 'country kitchen' look with timber cupboards, a big ring thingy overhead to hang pots, pans & bunches of herbs from and brick or slate flooring

or

blend your kitchen with whatever you see from the window eg mauve or lavender for hills and green for grass (all shades of purple and green look good together, and both are very restful colours. Purples relax the retina and induce sound sleep) (well, perhaps not Presley purple but you get the idea!). Slate flooring will reduce the washing and anchor the space

or

Jetsons style warehouse ultra modern? No? Well it was just a thought.

BTW my daughter's kitchen will be installed this week. I have used the same cabinet maker who did such a great job at Myrtle Cottage. This time, he has made a 'pale beech' (laminex) kitchen with hammered stainless steel (laminex) kickboards and slate (laminex) bench tops, drawers and pot drawers, plus overhead cupboards including a shallow set of shelves tucked in beside the window and an above bench microwave unit, plus a new vanity cabinet (laminex, same as kitchen but sans stainless steel kicks) for the bathroom with overhead full height mirrored shaving cabinets for under $4,000 installed.

Because the bathroom is on the second floor and the townhouses are built of concrete blocks, the sewer outfall doesn't quite fit inside the block profile and protrudes about 20mm through the coving and down the wall for about 300mm, and we needed some way of concealing this in a tasteful way.

Daryl has made a shallow wall unit out of MDF only deep enough to take CDs and videos, and has designed this in a modular style with rising heights, so it appears to step up the wall in harmony with the staircase. The section around the pipe has a door on it, as has another section in the lower middle, and the panel heater is fixed to the wall above the skirting at the other end.

I mention this innovative way of dealing with overhead pipes as we now have a very groovy wall unit instead of a strange looking wedge shaped box nailed to the ceiling and tapering about 600mm down the wall. And should the pipe ever need a plumber, just open the door and there it is. No smash and bash required!

Cheers

Kristine

Last edited:
Hi Mrs Bird,
I think it will be hard to get the desired effect in laminex. I would normally suggest white cupboards (or off white) the ones with the panel inserts. Benchtops made of hardwood & old style type oven. I would use black & white tiles (smallish ones) layed as a checker board pattern. I would paint the walls in a soft milky lime green.
I know it sounds unusual to say the least but it looks fantastic.

Back to your question, use off white laminex for the cupboards & a simple/natural colour for the benchtops. You will get colour from the walls, tiles & with the way you accessorise the room. I would use things like gingham fabrics & accessorise with things like those black mammy salt & pepper shakers & old wares.

Hope i was some help & i am currently building a unit & would love to hear/see your colour combinations.

Regards Tony

Another thought!
I have an old black oven sitting in my garage. Something like that would look fantastic as a display/feature piece. I would then have another modern underbench type oven hidden out of sight. My wife & I have collected lots of stuff, but i'm not sure that we will ever use them all.

Ciao Tony

Hi everyone,

Thanks for some great suggestions!

Its amazing how something so simple can turn into total confusion.
I love ultra modern design and the thought of designing a kitchen for a farmhouse threw all my 'must haves' out the door.

I have pm my colour scheme to all of you who replied as promised.

Mrs Bird

Back