Suggestions on Suburbs in Perth

1974Angela - I don't agree with any of your comment!!! I have lived in Perth my whole life and don't agree. You appear to have totally over-exaggerated the situation in Balga! Have you ever been to Sydney?! Perth doesn't even compare to Sydney when it comes to multicultural pockets.

I think Midland and South Lakes are scary and full of bogans (although, I'm sure there are exceptions like your father). I have never even heard of Koongamia and I live in Perth!

My tips are Wilson, Bentley, Ferndale, Rockingham (and surrounding suburbs), Redcliffe, Belmont, Kewdale, areas around Coogee. Personally, I wouldn't live in these areas, but I do think they are good investments. Wilson is on the river and next to where I live in Manning. I have a 2x1 1950's postwar house on 815m2 block on residential street worth at least $650k now.

In regards to Success and those suburbs along the Kwinana freeway (South of Perth), if you buy on the other side of the freeway, you can avoid the power lines. Great investment because the train line is almost completed. Actually, you've probably missed the boat here.

All suburbs in the Town of Victoria Park council would be a great investment (eg, Vic Park, East Vic Park, Lathlain, Carlisle, St James) but there are still quite a few Homeswest homes there and psychiatric hostels (eg, Fransiscan lodge, Devenish lodge, Etwell St lodge, Mission Australia lodge on Harris St in Carlisle). But prices have gone up heaps.

QI:p

Queenisis, I'm glad you said something regarding Angela's post. I've been biting my tongue.

I'm sure Angela is coming to the question with good intentions and I appreciate her taking the time to respond but I find her views to be quite shocking.

I'm from Sydney (been in Perth around 7 months) and I loved the multicultural aspect in Sydney. I taught at a primary school near Auburn in the west of Sydney with no anglo-saxon students (98% using English as their 2nd language) and it was a fantastic school with wonderful students.

I therefore find it difficult to believe that the children complained about students speaking other languages as they generally work around such issues better than adults. I suspect it's the parents that have the issues.

Angela is also assuming that she is writing to me, a white, anglo-saxon/Celtic person, and that the people reading this would be similar. I wouldn't be making such assumptions.

Hopefully with more exposure to different cultures Angela will have a more understanding of people from other countries and not group them into races that do and do not put out their wheelie bins.

I think I've found a place but after Angela's comments I would love to visit these places she has trouble finding an Australian (whatever that means). They sound like great places to visit full of interesting people.

I think comments like Angela's really do need to be questioned and I thank Queenisis for taking the time to do that.

Thank you also for your suggestions regarding suburbs! :D

Cheers,

Mark

hey ledd,

we're from sydney as well..been here 7 months as well..are you here for good or just testing the waters so to speak..you taught in auburn eh?? i would say for all the people here who dont know this place, it is probably the most multicultural suburb (amongst others) in sydney..does the word "enclave" mean anything to you..well im sure you get the drift..there doesnt seem to be any suburbs like that here in perth.. not like auburn,granville,harris park,cabramatta,merrylands etc etc in sydney..thats one thing i like about this place (an i am from an ethnic background too!)

regards
pete

Hi
We quite like the Northern part of Perth and have bought in the new Capricorn estate area at Yanchep.
Nearly completed a new home for us to live in and have bought 2 more blocks to build on as investments.
With the proposed future structure for the area I think it will be a financial sound investment.

Regards

hey ledd,

we're from sydney as well..been here 7 months as well..are you here for good or just testing the waters so to speak..you taught in auburn eh?? i would say for all the people here who dont know this place, it is probably the most multicultural suburb (amongst others) in sydney..does the word "enclave" mean anything to you..well im sure you get the drift..there doesnt seem to be any suburbs like that here in perth.. not like auburn,granville,harris park,cabramatta,merrylands etc etc in sydney..thats one thing i like about this place (an i am from an ethnic background too!)

regards
pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I plan to stay in Perth for the moment but who knows what's around the corner :)

You mentioned you have an ethnic background too. That's great, but as well as who? You don't have to be from a non-european background to question such comments.

Cheers,

Mark

There's an article in The West today about racial intolerance. It basically supported the view that we SHOULDN'T be aiming for racial tolerance in our society, we should instead be aiming to change the problems we come across in society, no matter what race is involved in causing them, and consider ourselves as one race, the human race.

I do agree with the gist of this article, but I guess it's human nature to single out minority groups involved in particular problems. But, perhaps if we try hard enough over the decades to come, this might change.

My husband told me a story today... He attended a citizenship ceremony for his work and the Mayor (female) went to shake the hand of a new citizen (male) from Somalia, to officially welcome him into Australia. His response as the Mayor held out her hand to him was to ignore her and then rudely tell her she could shake his wife's hand but not his! If new immigrants are not prepared to accept and/or practice the customs of their new country, send them back I say!!!

Hmmmm... I really should include a property related comment in here, too, I guess! Yanchep would be a good investment, anywhere North of Perth right on the coast is good. Even towns like Geraldton are going up in value. There are lots of little beach/holiday towns up North of Perth (eg, Jurien Bay, Seabird, Lancelin etc). It can get quite windy up that way on the coast, though. Great for wind-surfing! And lots of crayfish.

Hi Pete,

You mentioned you have an ethnic background too. That's great, but as well as who? You don't have to be from a non-european background to question such comments.

Cheers,

Mark

question such comments?? i dont understand what you mean..what i was trying to say was that I am from an ethnic background and getting away from these "enclaves" has been like a breath of fresh air for me..i was sick of the attitude of some of these people, that they have their own rules and do what they like without any fear of the law..
anyway what brings you out this way?? was it the ads on 2GB that lured you over here?? i remember hearing them advertising the mining boom and high paying jobs etc..quite a laugh..

I know at least 10 people who work up in the mines on a fly-in fly-out basis. The mines pay for their flights back to Perth every few weeks. Most of my friends who FIFO are Dads and married childless women.

One guy I know is a general handy man who is on the books as a registered plumber. He is earning $200k a year to make beds and they begged him to do it, he didn't go looking for the job! Hours are horrid, though. 12 hour shifts for most people who go up there. But, then they get 6 weeks off (for example) when they come back to Perth.

My own salary, back in Perth, increased by $15 without me asking or doing anything extra. Simply because the mining and resources boom are taking all the decent workers away from Perth! We have a friend who is lawyer and he left his job to work up there because he can earn twice as much painting houses.

These are good times in Perth.... Sometimes, though, I feel like I'm holding my breath waiting for the so-called bubble to burst. In the mean-time, I am hoping to use the new found equity in our home ($350k increase on a $350k property in 3 years) and salary increases to buy our first IP.

I hope I'm doing the right thing.... I'm a little nervous about taking the risk!

QI,

Welcome to the SS forums.

I probably know of at least a couple of thousand people up here on FIFO..........and I have yet to meet anyone paid 200K to make beds.........:eek:...........I want that job.........:)

In a more investor related question - how do you actually determine in your own mind what a *good investment* is?? Just curious.

....and I'll stay right out of the race issues thanks........got to see enough of that at the bottle shop in Newman on Saturday.........;)

ciao

Nor

Last edited:
QI,

Welcome to the SS forums.

I probably know of at least a couple of thousand people up here on FIFO..........and I have yet to meet anyone paid 200K to make beds.........:eek:...........I want that job.........:)

In a more investor related question - how do you actually determine in your own mind what a *good investment* is?? Just curious.

....and I'll stay right out of the race issues thanks........got to see enough of that at the bottle shop in Newman on Saturday.........;)

ciao

Nor

I'm moving to Perth next month. How do I get one of thes FIFO jobs ? Especially the bed making 200k one ????:)

Hi Twhurl,

So other than that favorite English pastime, what do you do? (Excuse the poor humour........too early in the morning for me. *Kicks* stupid east - west time zone jet lag..........:D.)

ciao

Nor

Those mining wages just keep going up! Ha!

Every time I speak to someone about the mining boom and jobs I always hear a new "record breaking" wage, and it's usually for a pleb job! A year or so ago I knew someone who went to work on the rigs as a storeman, $90K... then a few months ago I heard of someone going to the mines to earn $150K as a cook, now $200K to go and make beds?!

Anyway, back to property....

Do people feel that buying property around the Mandurah line is too late? Do you think these area's have already seen their infrastructure related capital growth? The reason I ask is because I've started looking at places like South Lake, Coolbelup & Spearwood, which are near the Madurah Line as well as being close to the Coogee Marina. I'm not very familiar with these area's, does anyone else know much about these suburbs? There has been some mention of South Lake in this thread, what about the other suburbs in that area?

queenisis - Out of curiosity, you mentioned that you would not live in places like Wilson, Bentley, Ferndale, Rockingham (and surrounding suburbs), Redcliffe, Belmont, Kewdale, areas around Coogee... why is this? The reason I ask is because one of the main considerations when buying a place in a particular suburb is, "Do other people want to live here?" "Is this area sort after?" Is it just your personal preference for area's like Manning?

My main aim is to get into a place which has renovation potential, as there is not going to be much natural capital growth in the next few years, then the only option is to make your own! So obviously older places on well presented streets are ideal for this. One of the other benefits that the mining boom is giving us is that people's standards of where they live are imporving, and as people have more money they are prepared to pay more for nicer houses, and this is where I think there is some gain to be made.

Cheers

Seb.

So many questions, so little time! I'll do my best.....

...how do you actually determine in your own mind what a *good investment* is??
I don't consider myself a property investor, I'm one of those Mum and Dad investors who's hoping to get their foot in the door soon.... But, my idea of a good investment is one that will obviously appreciate over time (the quicker the better), provide good rental income and require little maintenance. I'm looking for something in a suburb that has high demand, population growth, good economic climate, pref land locked, access to top educational institutions, good transportation routes, close to freeways, close to coast/water, good infrastructure, commercial hubs (eg, shops and cafe strips!), recreational/leisure facilities, away from industrial areas, aesthetically pleasing built environment and natural environment, low risk of natural disasters, new and emerging developments etc. The list could go on!

I'm moving to Perth next month. How do I get one of thes FIFO jobs ? Especially the bed making 200k one ????
I wouldn't know! There are so many mining and resources industries here. A good start would be to look in the classifieds of The West (Wed or Sat edition), they have a whole section dedicated to mining and resources jobs. A FIFO job wouldn't suit us, we'd miss our kids too much and have heard terrible stories about marriage break-ups caused by the stress placed on families with FIFO job circumstances. Money isn't everything in the end as they say. I sure could do with a little bit more of it, though!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that you would not live in places like Wilson, Bentley, Ferndale, Rockingham (and surrounding suburbs), Redcliffe, Belmont, Kewdale, areas around Coogee... why is this?
The safety of my kids is paramount and these areas have high numbers of Homeswest houses (government housing) and high incidence of crime, illicit drug use etc. However, they are all appreciating in value and Homeswest are reducing their concentration of houses in all suburbs. My suburb, Manning, is a prime example of that - Manning was notorius for government housing and had a REALLY bad reputation 50 years ago, now it is considered one of the more elite in the area. Definitely not as elite as the Western suburbs, though! Bentley (SOR), for example, would be a great investment, close to Curtin Uni, easy access to the Freeway and the city but one of the highest crime rates in Perth. Coolbellup is in the same boat, close to Murdoch Uni but full of old crappy houses and high crime rates. Although, I have a friend who lives there and she loves it, it's a short drive to Freo and the Freeway.

Perth is unofficially divided into "North of the River", "South of the River" and, in the last 5 years or so "The Western Suburbs". TWS are basically the burbs that sit between the Perth CBD and the Indian Ocean. Nobody can afford there now. I've always preferred SOR but there are die-hard NOR fans, too! No debates, please!!!

Do people feel that buying property around the Mandurah line is too late? Do you think these area's have already seen their infrastructure related capital growth? The reason I ask is because I've started looking at places like South Lake, Coolbelup & Spearwood, which are near the Madurah Line as well as being close to the Coogee Marina. I'm not very familiar with these area's, does anyone else know much about these suburbs? There has been some mention of South Lake in this thread, what about the other suburbs in that area?
The line hasn't opened yet, you'd definitely get some sort of CG but properties are getting snapped up really quickly there. Anywhere near the proposed Coogee Marina has already jumped in price, but I'm sure will continue to go up. Prices in that area are also influenced by being close to Freo (an old heritage convict area, very cosmopolitan and lots of hippies). Anywhere around Rockingham would be a good investment because the train line will go through there, too. Rockingham has a more feral reputation than Mandurah, though - especially in areas like Medina and Leda. Mandurah was the beach town that Perth oldies rmoved to when they retired but there are MASSIVE amounts of development happening there right now. I lived in Mandurah for two yrs after Uni in the late 90's and I barely recognise the place now! Much more beautiful than Rockingham I think. Rockingham is too close to Kwinana - a major industrial hub in Perth. GIANT factories on the ocean, pollution, a terrible blight on the coastline. Back to the question... Given the choice out of those suburbs listed, I would buy an IP in Coolbellup, I believe it has the most potential out of the three and is closest to my favourite shopping centre (Garden City in Booragoon), Freeway access and Murduch Uni.

We are having alot of trouble manning the rigs right now.

I remember having a conversation with two brand spanking new roughnecks. One was a qualified butcher, the other a qualified pastry chef, up to the their ears in grease, sitting out in the pouring rain at 3am stripping down a pipe spinner that was needed for the trip out of the hole. Classic. They were chasing the big dollars, and had tried the mine sites and moved on to the rigs in search of something bigger and better. One was 23 and one was 22. They both said they wanted to retire by the time they were 25...yet none had anything behind them. It was incrediulous listening to the modern attitude.

They asked me how easy it was doing my job. I said howza about 4 years at Uni and 15 years busting my a$$ out on the rigs....they said "Bugger that, sounds like hard work".

I worry about where this country is headed.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't think a lot of people realise how hard you have to work, how long the hours are and the sacrifices you have to make (esp. with your relationships). A lot of people don't make it up there and I admire anyone who has the courage to give it a go and anyone who has the dedication to stick it out.

We are having alot of trouble manning the rigs right now.

I remember having a conversation with two brand spanking new roughnecks. One was a qualified butcher, the other a qualified pastry chef, up to the their ears in grease, sitting out in the pouring rain at 3am stripping down a pipe spinner that was needed for the trip out of the hole. Classic. They were chasing the big dollars, and had tried the mine sites and moved on to the rigs in search of something bigger and better. One was 23 and one was 22. They both said they wanted to retire by the time they were 25...yet none had anything behind them. It was incrediulous listening to the modern attitude.

They asked me how easy it was doing my job. I said howza about 4 years at Uni and 15 years busting my a$$ out on the rigs....they said "Bugger that, sounds like hard work".

I worry about where this country is headed.

Funny Dazzling, that they ask "how easy is it to do your job", not "what do i have to do to work my way up to your job".

I have applied for Offshore jobs in the past, unsuccessfully, so must admit I am a little surprised that a butcher and pastry chef even got a start. Not that I am downplaying these guys aptitude or qualifications, or thinking i'm anything special, but having a mechanical trade background would have been an advantage I would have thought. Was a few years ago now tho, so things must have changed.

Tim

Hi Twhurl,

So other than that favorite English pastime, what do you do? (Excuse the poor humour........too early in the morning for me. *Kicks* stupid east - west time zone jet lag..........:D.)

ciao

Nor

What ? Drinking ? {I think I'll end my guesses there} Actually I grew up in Canada. Only came back to UK 6 years ago.
I remember in University my friend and I chased the Canadian oil boom in Calgary.
We drove a Ford El Camino out to Calgary for someone. Slept in it sitting up every night by the side of the road. Arrived in Calgary 5 days later and wandered around looking for a job (well over there they are 'bus in bus out' ) we worked at a natural gas plant in northern Alberta 12 hours a day 7 days in. 7 days off. It was a dry camp because a few years earlier some smart fellas had hoarded their 2 beers a day quota till Friday and drank them all and stolen the train and derailed it. Anyway even without booze people found creative ways to get fired so one week I found myself working 21 hours out of 24 and almost fell asleep and tumbled down into a pit of molten sulphur.

My 22yr old son has just picked up a job in Broome with a builder doing Govt contracts.[son has no experience at all] All meals and accom paid for, $30 ph he had to get there and have work boots. He only got this job by contacts through a family friend who is in the tradies game in the far north of WA. I hope he sticks it out and enjoys watching his bank balance grow.
Because there is a shortage of accomodation in many of these towns in the North, being in the town gives you a greater chance at getting the job or having accom availible to you on arrival.The wage may sound good but the cost of living up there is very high.

There is now chalk boards going up in these towns with job adds on them. None seem to be listed on the usual websites. It seems to be a word of mouth game now. I wonder if all those adds in the east caused this by saying you only needed a pulse and there would be $100k salary for you.

There is also plenty of work around Mandurah if you are looking. It usually involves weekend work and the handsome wage of approx $16.00 per hour. No wonder there is a shortage of workers.
cheers yadreamin

I have applied for Offshore jobs in the past, unsuccessfully, so must admit I am a little surprised that a butcher and pastry chef even got a start. Not that I am downplaying these guys aptitude or qualifications, or thinking i'm anything special, but having a mechanical trade background would have been an advantage I would have thought. Was a few years ago now tho, so things must have changed.
Here's a link to a recent 60 minutes story on the mining boom. It has some related job sites in WA.
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=276980
It appears to me to be very much a case of "not what you know but who you know" in this industry.
I have been told that it is partly because they want guys who they know can do the job, rather than just look good on paper. Also because you have got to handle the lifestyle of being away from you family (depending on your rotation.) I currently work 4 weeks on & 4 off so it is very disruptive, especially with young kids.
Steve

Back