SYD: cheaper housing commision area's out west

The bones of that home appear to be quite good. As far as the Granny Flat is concerned, get the documents to see what you need to do to make it a complying development. I think one of the requirements is that the structure needs to be at least a metre off the fenceline. If the garage is closer than this, then it may be a lot harder to do a conversion.

You can still pick up houses for much less than this home, although some of them are a bit rough, however if you have the skills it really isn't that hard a task to make them all shiny & new once again. A rent of $300pw is easily achieved with almost anything in neat & tidy, well maintained condition.

I do *sort of* (I'm more white collar construction, though have done labouring) have the skills but I'd want to use them sparingly...
Full time Uni + Close to full time work =/= Time poor AND Money poor haha.

With regards to getting a general idea of some basic criteria for a successful development, could I simply e-mail the council office asking for a list with regards to additional detached dwellings?

I will keep looking but I do like the look of this. Will try and look up development requirements tonight.

Last edited:
Also,

Though it's early days yet can anyone recommend a good mortgage broker in the Western Sydney area? I figure if they get a good review from Somersoft they will more than satisfy my needs haha.

Although Willmot is not my favourite suburb, and brown wood paneling not ideal decor, I would be more inclined to go for something like this.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-willmot-105878105

Looking at the pictures, it does not seem to need much work done to it. It would reach around $300pw rent AND there is space in the back yard if you wish to add a Granny Flat either now or at a later date. There are a few companies out this way that will add GFs should you wish to add one.

As with any property, I suggest a thorough checking out of the area and the immediate neighbours.

Although Willmot is not my favourite suburb, and brown wood paneling not ideal decor, I would be more inclined to go for something like this.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-willmot-105878105

Looking at the pictures, it does not seem to need much work done to it. It would reach around $300pw rent AND there is space in the back yard if you wish to add a Granny Flat either now or at a later date. There are a few companies out this way that will add GFs should you wish to add one.

As with any property, I suggest a thorough checking out of the area and the immediate neighbours.

Wow, $300pw ay? That does seem like a better deal, easier start to the process anyhow with less capital required.

When you say a thorough checking out of the area do you mean surrounding streets? I.e. this street might be quiet but it backs on to a pub or a noisy / scummy looking street.

Wow, $300pw ay? That does seem like a better deal, easier start to the process anyhow with less capital required.

When you say a thorough checking out of the area do you mean surrounding streets? I.e. this street might be quiet but it backs on to a pub or a noisy / scummy looking street.

The bad element don't often travel far from home. Check out the neighbouring properties at all times of the day & night. If you notice a lot of activity from a home (especially young teens, early 20's) then there is a likelihood that they are people that I would not particularly like to have living nearby.

The bad element don't often travel far from home. Check out the neighbouring properties at all times of the day & night. If you notice a lot of activity from a home (especially young teens, early 20's) then there is a likelihood that they are people that I would not particularly like to have living nearby.

I'll have a drive by tomorrow during the day (though people may be more prone to being a little loose, being NYE and all).

I appreciate all your help skater, let me know if you ever need furniture moved or soil shovelled! (All the skills I possess... for now).

I'm pretty sure this is a property that has been advertised many times. Don't know what the deals is except we went to look at it once. Agent never turned up. We didn't follow it up due to the burnt mattresses on the footpath and near a block of flats that looked scary.:D

Great info Skater..

What are your thoughts with regards to investing in a 2 bed unit for around the same purchase cost, compared to a house. Obviously the land value has more long term future prospects, but the unit generally would be less maintenance and risk of smashed in fences and boards due to local thugs etc.

Any thoughts or preferences? Do you always go for houses only? I.e. reckon they generally appreciate better?

Last edited:
I'll have a drive by tomorrow during the day (though people may be more prone to being a little loose, being NYE and all).

I appreciate all your help skater, let me know if you ever need furniture moved or soil shovelled! (All the skills I possess... for now).

A tip an Agent told me many years ago, although not politically correct is quite good when assessing whether or not an area is suspect. "Don't go when it's feeding time at the zoo". Meaning, if you go at meal times (or early in the morning) they will most likely be inside, but if you wait a little later, the real element is likely to be shown.

I'm pretty sure this is a property that has been advertised many times. Don't know what the deals is except we went to look at it once. Agent never turned up. We didn't follow it up due to the burnt mattresses on the footpath and near a block of flats that looked scary.:D

OK......well, apart from the mattresses etc, that could be a warning of an area to be wary of, all I can say is that I LOVE agents that are not very good at their job, mainly because if you hound them, you might get a bargain where most other house hunters can't be bothered with them.

Great info Skater..

What are your thoughts with regards to investing in a 2 bed unit for around the same purchase cost, compared to a house. Obviously the land value has more long term future prospects, but the unit generally would be less maintenance and risk of smash in fences and boards due to local thugs etc.

Any thoughts or preferences? Do you always go for houses only? I.e. reckon they generally appreciate better?

I do have a couple of units, but I do have a preferance for houses. If you are looking at a similar entry cost, then I'd most likely go for the house. If you select well, you have options that you don't have with a unit. You could subdivide, put in a granny flat, add a deck, demolish & rebuild. None of those can be done with a unit.

As a follow up to anyone interested, I drove past 23 Pangari (the first property I linked to) at 2pm this afternoon to have a bit of a squiz.

It's about a 400-500m walk from a shopping complex so that's a plus and the street it's in is filled with neat and tidy houses (all lawns look fairly well looked after except for one or two places and they didn't look too bad). The double garage at the rear looks like it's only 400-500mm off the side fence however so it's unlikely I could turn that in to a council compliant granny flat (though I guess I could be cheeky and do it on the sly :D ).

Agent's sign out the front said it was under offer.

I will keep an eye on that street as it currently looks to have a pretty good state of affairs and reasonably close to shops + schools.

Kinda interested in getting my first IP and there seems to be a lot of units for sale around Luxford Rd - is that area any good :confused:

Kinda interested in getting my first IP and there seems to be a lot of units for sale around Luxford Rd - is that area any good :confused:

Come and have a look. Doing your due dilligence involves doing a lot more work than just relying on what somebody on an internet forum tells you about a place.

Some of those units in Luxford Rd look like ghettos. And they're building new ones next door. As Skater said- Best to have a look at the area.

Skater- I like the "feeding time at the zoo" analogy.:D

Skater- I like the "feeding time at the zoo" analogy.:D

Haha, I do too. It has stuck in my head for many years now. In fact I had one place that I sold and the directions that I gave the agent was that he was only to show prospective purchasers through it during either early morning or lunch time periods because the neighbours would not get up early and would be inside from 12-2pm. :D

Happy new year everyone,
I have just read through all the posts on this thread, it is interesting to see just what, how and still - many people view the Mt Druitt area.
Let me tell you all something, Life is good in the Ghetto.

Just kidding

I have lived here for 19 yrs, having moved up (into a house I built here), from living in a caravan park when I first moved to Australia from New Zealand. I have seen very little trouble out here over all those years, even when building the house, I never had a problem. The area does attract a low socio-economic class because it is affordable to live here. Land rates are amoung the cheapest in the State, as is land values, but that works in my favour - cost of owning a home and maintaining it is affordable. There are people who live here who are not the stereotypical "Westie"
I myself have a University Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, and have completed two Trades (Tool and Die maker, and am also a Licensed Electrician) I make over 100k a year and could easily afford to buy into another area with a higher land value. I simply don't want to move from here, it has to be said Mt Druitt has one of the best transport systems, shopping centres, medical and every other type of service anyone could ever need.
I'm with Skater on this thread, some of you need to get out and research for yourselves on the area, and don't be bothered reading just the RPA Data, and Google for your info on Mt Druitt.

Hi Railglider I agree. My reference to the ghetto look was of those units not the whole Mt Druitt area.
Our first PPOR was out that way. Everyone thought I was crazy "what are you moving out THERE for?" It more than doubled in 7 years and gave us a great start. My only reason for moving was schooling.

I've just purchased another IP in Mt Druitt. Settlement and reno in 3 weeks (after my holiday to Malaysia and Thailand).:D

Back