Sydneys Second Airport.....

Hi,

Lot in the news about Sydney and building a second airport. Obviously this can be a big drag on property prices.(also an employer too).

Does anyone know which suburbs could be impacted by the choices on the table? Are there publicly available studies on such things?

I mean any sydney investors out there care to share where they wouldn't buy for a long term hold based on aircraft noise?

Badgerys Creek? - I have read this is most likely choice. St Marys/St Clair etc?
Holsworthy? - Moorebank/Chipping Norton/East hills/Wattle Grove/Panania?
Kurnell?(Caltex refinery) - obviously Kurnell already cops it, but what about other southern sydney suburbs? Cronulla I am thinking might cop it?

cheers

barney

Welcome.

A wise question but I think the answer is it is too early. And whilst the NSW Gov is firmly opposed to any location I think the answer is a while away. So don't worry.

I can say Holsworthy is dead. Good location but too expensive and after 9/11 abandonment is off the table.

Barry O Farrell is actually (for a polllie) speaking sense re the Canberra Option.

A very fast train to Canberra would be able to compete with Air for frequency, cost and most importantly time. We have the airport already. It is international rated. A flight to Canberra is 1hr air but also in and out where a train run effectively, would be the same or less.

If would also encourage macro economic shifts of industry and population there by becoming self supporting.

But sadly the Fed Gov will oppose because it will give NSW a massive infrastructure win. Perhaps when the Libs get in, it could be on.

On the link from Canberra to Melbourne forget it. Too expensive and infrequent.

Regards Peter 14.7

aint gonna happen.................

3 + decades of jibberish and the price ( in terms of land, noise and PR ) is now just out of hand.

ta

rolf

BOF is worried about the noise impact of a major new airport on voters. So if he puts it in Canberra, he doesn't have to worry about the impact of voters on his own reelection. Except for a few in Queanbeyan.

I was a teenager 35 years ago and lived in Galston (outskirts of Sydney) and they were talking about putting it there then. All the residents went in to panick mode, hopped on a bus and went to Canberra to protest. It did not happen. I am taking the latest airport info with a grain of salt. Sick of politicians talking for the sake of talking.
Geoff

I'm lucky to live close to the airport, but not under a flight path.
I had to pick a friend up at the airport (Sydney) on the weekend. It's a reasonably regular thing. I tell them to call me at home when they are off the plane, and by the time they've got their luggage I'm waiting for them in the 'pick-up zone'.
I'm hoping the decision on another airport is delayed till me and my family and friends stop flying.

I was a teenager 35 years ago and lived in Galston (outskirts of Sydney) and they were talking about putting it there then. All the residents went in to panick mode, hopped on a bus and went to Canberra to protest. It did not happen. I am taking the latest airport info with a grain of salt. Sick of politicians talking for the sake of talking.
Geoff

+1. I remember all the debate raging about the second airport in Sydney when I lived there as a kid 30 years ago. Not surprised to see it's still being debated - just like the Pacific Hwy that's a goat-track in parts - politics always gets in the way and nobody wants to upset voters or foot the bill.

Why put the second one in Sydney? Move it out of the big smoke where land is plentyfull and cheap.

Newcastle would be my pick. Or Williamtown, or even say Maitland. Then it could service all of northern NSW north of Sydney. Currently I have to drive two thirds through Sydney to get to the airport. With an international airport in Newcastle, I'd never need to drive into the overcrowded place and add to the congestion.

Then upgrade Canberra airport, and it could service southern NSW. You would then have only Sydney residents using Kingsford Smith, rather than most of everyone else in NSW. With all this pressure taken off Kingsford Smith Sydney, it would cope well.

See ya's.

remember the minister's seat is under the flight path. That's a major local concern. 'something' has to be done for the seat. Since he will not be minister after the next election, just suggest something and get himself re-elected.

And the preimer is smart as well.Suggesting canberra as the second airport.

It's just politics at play.Sad for sydney

Nothing will happen.

The current state government is far too populist to ever make a decision that might loose them some votes.

Why put the second one in Sydney? Move it out of the big smoke where land is plentyfull and cheap.

Newcastle would be my pick. Or Williamtown, or even say Maitland. Then it could service all of northern NSW north of Sydney. Currently I have to drive two thirds through Sydney to get to the airport. With an international airport in Newcastle, I'd never need to drive into the overcrowded place and add to the congestion.

Then upgrade Canberra airport, and it could service southern NSW. You would then have only Sydney residents using Kingsford Smith, rather than most of everyone else in NSW. With all this pressure taken off Kingsford Smith Sydney, it would cope well.

See ya's.

Because people who fly into Sydney do not want to go what is essentially a NSW regional airport.

No second airport will happen because it should the Liberal party supporters not to have one.

More land to sell off and no drop off in revenue for the existing one.

remember the minister's seat is under the flight path. That's a major local concern. 'something' has to be done for the seat. Since he will not be minister after the next election, just suggest something and get himself re-elected.

It's not a big local issue. Most locals like having an airport in spitting distance. The only reason he would be talking about it is that it's part of the gig for whoever holds that portfolio. They have to trot out the second airport thing every now and then.

Because people who fly into Sydney do not want to go what is essentially a NSW regional airport.

Good. Then Sydney people still fly into and out of Sydney. You don't seem to get what my post was about.

Not everyone wants to fly into or out of Sydney. Read my post again. If I could fly overseas from somewhere near Newcastle, I'd never need to go to Sydney again. Either would anyone from north of Sydney. I'd even think central coast people would head north rather than south to Kingsford Smith. That would be about 2 million people or so. Transport would be easier, parking cheap and easy because land is cheap and plentyfull.

An airport north of Sydney would service the entire northern part of NSW. Thus taking them out of the congested city of Sydney and it's airport. Get it now?

There is hundreds of thousands of acres of useless swamp land between Maitland and Newcastle that would be almost worthless and in a prime spot right in the middle of the New England highway, Pacific highway and the F3 freeway.

See ya's.

But TC, I wonder what proportion of people flying don't want to fly in and out of Sydney? Tourists certainly aren't going to want to end up in Newcastle or Canberra. It's not going to suit the majority of business travellers. I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm curious.

But TC, I wonder what proportion of people flying don't want to fly in and out of Sydney? .

I'd imagine it would only be a small proportion. Sydney holds most of NSW's population. So most would want to fly in and out of Sydney. But by allowing residents north of Sydney another airport, it will relieve things in Sydney.

Flights from Williamtown to a few destinations in New Zealand already happen. Williamtown or the swampland I suggested between Maitland and Newcastle would be a great spot I'd reckon to take away pressure from Kingsford Smith.

Tourists certainly aren't going to want to end up in Newcastle or Canberra. It's not going to suit the majority of business travellers. I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm curious.

Most tourists and business people wouldn't, but some would. What about the overseas tourists who have done the Sydney thing the first time a few years ago, and are now back again to see other stuff? Jump in the hire car and you'd be at the Hunter vinyards in half an hour. No one hour slog just to get out of Sydney. That would be attractive to a lot of tourists. It would all help.

You would only have to take 20 to 25% of the traffic from Kingsford Smith and things would be fine I'd guess.

See ya's.

Not sure, TC. I've met a few tourists lately who are back for subsequent visits and they like to lob in Sydney and stay for a couple of days and then head off somewhere. I'm not sure the Hunter Valley (pleasant as it is) would be much a drawcard for overseas tourists.
The biggest market for a second airport would be the people in the outer western and south western suburbs, but they don't want's an airport out there.
I do appreciate what a pain it must be for you blokes to have to come down here and then traipse across Sydney to the airport.

Back