TAFE short courses

I was wondering if anyone has attended a TAFE short course in any of the following disciplines:

tiling,
plumbing,
plastering,
carpentry,

If so, did you think it was worthwhile, value for money, etc?

Did you attend in a block or was it say, every Wed evening for 3 months?

Thanks in advance.

plumbing if it is changing a toilet or taps - you probably can do it but anything more than that such as securing pipes etc - you best use a plumber.

you can do these courses in chadstone tafe . i did a basic course in carpentry 1 but it was mostly due to an owner builder house i was intending to do, so trying to have a better understanding before i dwell into it. i did attend the saturday sessions but as it was over 3 months - i felt it was a bit too long. i would have preferred an intensive weekend course instead. i think it was not bad value to be honest.

as for plastering and tiling - you can learn it on your own. It really depends on what you intend to do as these require craftmanship which is honed by people who do it often. basic tiling should be ok - but you can tell from a professional and DIY job.

if you fixing a plaster hole - pretty simple there are $5 kits t bunnings that can do that and readymade base and top coats for this but fixing ceilings cracks etc and new sheets that require a leveling and plastering it - requires a steady hand or else it would result in unlevel surfaces, cracks in the plaster and bumps. i stick to demolishing simplly for this reason alone - no craftsmanship required and at least you can release any stress or tension in a positive outcome and have a workout while at it.

Thanks Mel,

I can do everything on the list and a lot more but was looking to fill some free time with hands-on in a classroom environment using the latest techniques, simply expanding my knowledge. Youtube is great for getting you started. I am particularly interesting in plastering and coving a house as it's the only thing I haven't done. It looks pretty straight-forward though physical.

Perhaps there's another way to keep fit?

PS your inbox is full.

I was wondering if anyone has attended a TAFE short course in any of the following disciplines:

tiling,
plumbing,
plastering,
carpentry,

If so, did you think it was worthwhile, value for money, etc?

Did you attend in a block or was it say, every Wed evening for 3 months?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going a little bit further. I'll start the building and construction course shortly, through Oten.

Apparently i can get a builder's licence with a bit of practical experience. (not exactly sure how much - hoping an owner builder build will be enough)

Strange that this can be taught by correspondence though...

Thanks Mel,

I can do everything on the list and a lot more but was looking to fill some free time with hands-on in a classroom environment using the latest techniques, simply expanding my knowledge. Youtube is great for getting you started. I am particularly interesting in plastering and coving a house as it's the only thing I haven't done. It looks pretty straight-forward though physical.

Perhaps there's another way to keep fit?

PS your inbox is full.

inbox is cleared.
are you retired or something? if it is self interest - why not?

I'm sure others will see this as a silly suggestion and yes it most definately dependant on the local staff however have you thought of attending Bunnings and one or more of their training sessions. Given the right trainer and a small audience these can be very helpful.
A.

Excellent idea Loco, does the govt help fund the training?

Fantastic idea Oz, I love your lateral thinking. But do they do practicals too? Just thought it was watching a video/demo followed by Q&A? You're obviously better informed than I.

Sure Mel, self self-fulfilment. Retired from the world at 48, trying to help myself and if I can help others along the way so much the better.

"I'm going a little bit further. I'll start the building and construction course shortly, through Oten.

Apparently i can get a builder's licence with a bit of practical experience. (not exactly sure how much - hoping an owner builder build will be enough)" locko24

I think you will find that in order to get the licence you will need a trade such as bricklaying or carpentry and 2 years experience with certificate IV in building construction.

Alternately, an engineering degree will trump the trade certificate

The course is a diploma.
According to this link, I only need two years in the industry. I'm sure it would take around 1 year to build my own place, working weekends. Then I guess I'll have to convince a mate to do a build too!!

I guess it depends on how they work out the 2 years experience, if its 2080 hrs per year then its going to be a few more weekends.
They also appear to contradict themselves by saying you need cert IV in building and construction AND diploma in building and construction (or the carpentry qual) OR you just need a degree,diploma or advanced diploma in building, construction, construction management etc ?? Might have to give them a call, as I was going to do this as well, started the cert IV last year.

I guess it depends on how they work out the 2 years experience, if its 2080 hrs per year then its going to be a few more weekends.
They also appear to contradict themselves by saying you need cert IV in building and construction AND diploma in building and construction (or the carpentry qual) OR you just need a degree,diploma or advanced diploma in building, construction, construction management etc ?? Might have to give them a call, as I was going to do this as well, started the cert IV last year.

Yeah. Will do on Monday, and let you know.

Hi Locko24,

I'm about to finish the Diploma of Building Studies (old course) in June 2012 @ Ultimo Tafe. I would recommend at least enrolling to do the course part time as well as enrolling through OTEN so you can finish earlier if you choose. You can do a co-enrollment.

Even if you have a trade background & experience the course is not as easy as some might think you really need to commit to it. There is a practical component to the course in that you have to do some surverying & drawings for construction subjects on site.

Sometimes the course notes through OTEN is not enough to complete the assignments given.

The course even part time is quite heavy workload doing 6 subjects part time per semester. Some of these subjects require you to do further research.

Some subjects like surveying, structures, estimating, builders workers drawings would require guidance that is not given on the same level at OTEN.

The advantage in a class setting is that if your not good at keeping up with correspondence, going to class pushes you along in the course. Also just meeting the teachers & other people and seeing what other people are doing is interesting.

If you have a trade license already you can do a Cert 4 through the HIA if you just want to get a builders license. Tafe is the cheaper option & you probably learn more.

Hope it helps !

Regards,

Lumos

Back