taking cement off window frames

What is the best way to take off dried cement from window frames/seals?

Ive been advised to get some hydrochloric acid, mix it with water, then get a rag and scrub off the cement.

Is this the best way?

Are there any other methods i could use or anything i can buy to take off the dry cement from the windows?

Aluminium?

I heard the other day that when sloppy renderers or brickies get cement onto aluminium, it's a real problem. They should wipe it off while wet, but few of them do this.

There is a Window Advisory Group (or something like that) who would be able to tell you.

If you have to use acid I would only paint it on the larger blobs of concrete to
soften,and don't leave on to long, the rest should wash off but I would not try and scrub it off as it might cause scratches to the frames. Try cleaning with a soft cloth with plenty of detergent left on to soak for a while.

What you need to do is avoid penetrating the coating on the frame. If it's aluminium (the original poster seems to have disappeared) it may be powdercoated or anodized. You don't want to damage that coating. Acid or scrapping may do that. I would try soaking the cement with plenty of water. You want the water to soak in completely. Then try getting the cement off by rubbing it gently. If you try and get the people back who put the cement on the frames, they're going to use a paint scrapper. You don't want that to happen.

High pressure hose with warm to hot water and a cleaning agent (not acid!!!!)

dont rub it, dont scrape it, dont do anything liek that.

In future spray all the framing with wd40/silicion spray prior to the rendering/brickwork/conc,

Reactions: BV
Yes, they are alluminium windows.

Yes, i have used the wd40 on the frames before i started bricking, and it has made a big difference cause now the cement is not sticking.

There is still dried cement on the frames which the wd40 didnt catch properly.

If it is in blobs you could try very lightly tapping it a few times with a small hammer? It might just crack away from the frame and then you can wash off the residue after wetting it.

We use a product made from sugar cane, I spent 3 days in a Boomlift clean windows of a new building that our concreters sprayed with cement.The spray was on the windows for about 3 weeks, the cost of each glass window was a couple of grand and it had 3 inspections before it passed (Early morning , Afternoon and night). No scrubbing or scratching needed.

This stuff you just spray on and let dissolve the use a high pressure gerni or garden hose on jet and it washes away. Must be done in shade and cool and can not be wet as water stops it working. It also must be used from a sprayer as it need to be applied as a foam.

It will not damage paint as they also sprayed 3 commodores and a new hilux. I will find out the name.

Liquid hammer works well,

used it on a job in the city that just finished. If any of you watch the commercial high rise construction in the city you would prob konw about it :)

1 Bligh st!

I used the liquid hammer foam spray today, and it wasnt really what i expected.

Only marginnally made the cement softer.

Think the problem i had is when i was spraying the foam on the upright window frames, the foam was just sliding down to the floor, it just didnt stick on the window frame.Thats probably one of the reasons why the foam wasnt getting aborbed into the cement.

put plenty of the product on foamed up real well. run a strong mix, from memory I was using 1-1 mix :)

Let it sit for a good 20 min. you can use a sponge once the conc is soft but get one with lots of big air pockets and clean it very very often. Do not rub hard!!!!!

repeat the process till clean.

Back