Taringa/Toowong in Brisbane

Anyone believe Taringa/Toowong is overrated or could possibly be a bad investment?

I'm looking at my first home (PPOR Unit @ Taringa/Toowong or Indooroopilly).

Roughly, 300-330K (maybe 350K if it's worth it). I'll be owner occupier with intent in 3-4 years to turn it into an IP.

No - it would not be a bad investment. Good infrastructure, good schools, close to city and access to the city cat. What more could you ask for??
If you're able to buy a unit in a small block, even better ;)
Cheers
Elizabeth L:)

I quite like the area. As previously said it's close to schools, shops, uni & transport. I personally think the train system in Brisbane will be much more relied upon in the next 5 years rather than roads & the area has a train line going straight through the middle.

Agree with trying to stick to the smaller unit 'blocks' as there's been a few cheap/cheap looking/high density apartment complexes been knocked up in the area in recent years.

I like both areas as i am in the next suburb over.

I think for a unit try and find something different in the complex as Toowong is blessed with a lot of the same.

On a separate note if you intend to use the property as an IP down the track make sure you structure the loan correctly or you will be kicking yourself in a few years time.

Hi Bangers,
I love the area - live in Toowong, work in Taringa (sometimes) and have just settled on a cheap IP in Indro for $268K (a 3-bed house needing reno on 610m2).

There can't be many better places for public transport in the whole of Brissie - where I'm located I'm a 7min walk from 2 railway stations and 5mins from both the CityCat and a bus-stop used by at least 10 City bus services on Coro Drive.

House prices in this area haven't gone up as much as some areas of Bris over the last 5 years, so I reckon they're good value.

Adam

I wouldn't mix liking to live in the area with investment considerations.

I track these suburbs and agree it's a pretty nice area for lifestyle.

I look at the yields which admittedly are rising (bout time) on unit living in the area and think how incredibly cheap it is still to be renting.

Depends on your investment goals with property and how you plan to get there I guess, like all areas there are deals and duds to be purchased.

I would be looking at houses rather than units (as my family have gone the units path and regretted not buying the houses... the figures in lost CG over time are too painful to mention)... But... Unit purchase St Lucia for the same price as a house in the 70's (my Dad god bless him had to choose between the two), the unit was sold for about 400k less than the house (knock down condition) and the rental diff wouldn't have nearly compensated as it was a family hideaway and PPOR most of the time... It's all about the size and control of the land I reckon as CG is where wealth is generated.

AdamW, sounds like a very sweet price for dirt in Indro, especially if it's not on a major road.

I quite like the area. As previously said it's close to schools, shops, uni & transport. I personally think the train system in Brisbane will be much more relied upon in the next 5 years rather than roads & the area has a train line going straight through the middle.

Agree with trying to stick to the smaller unit 'blocks' as there's been a few cheap/cheap looking/high density apartment complexes been knocked up in the area in recent years.
I have become a train convert.

Just experiencing peak hour traffic in Brisbane after having been able to avoid it for a long time living on the G Coast for 10 years (when they didn't have any jams!) and not working a 9-5 I have been spoilt. Something has to give.

With the impending energy issues, which I think is a growing tsunami; and no signs that Brisbane is going to stop growing.... Living near a train line is going to become even more valuable I predict.

What we are experiencing with water, which I think is largely stupidity generated will be what we experience with energy in the future... and the value of the local lifestyle (live, work and play all close to each other) and access to public transport will trade at a premium I'm betting. I think the net losers will be the McMansion suburbs without the attending lifestyle infrastructure, the sort of places where you need to hop in a car to get a litre of milk.

Back