Tasmania leading the way

Couldn't really figure out where this one is supposed to go so have used the 'innovative technique' heading with relation to the government decision.

I have a property in Tassie, and this is fantastic news. I got a letter a while ago regarding this, but it is highlighted in this months API. (Rates in Tassie aren't that high anyway I don't think from memory)

As of July 1, 'three regional water corporations have fully taken over as providers and managers of water and sewerage services in Tasmania.

'Landlords can now hand over to tenants the complete payment responsibility for water and sewerage in a 'user pays' system.' A government spokesman said in order for this to happen, landlords will need to reduce rents. As REIT CEO says, it is basically impossible for landlords to reduce rents, especially when most tenants are bounded by fixed agreements. He then queries the governments thoughts and says ' the treasureer seems to be suggesting that he can force alterations to fixed contracts between private parties. This is impossible'

I know there is alot of discussion on the boards with respect to water rates and who is responsible. Hopefully this great idea can be injected on the mainland.

My property in London has this arrangement, and no utilities are paid by the landlord. The only outgoings are mortgage, property management fees and insurance. The tenant is responsible for paying even the rates over there. (or Council Tax as it is called)

I say bring it on.:)

Cheers,

F

Read your post then had a call from my investment partner saying these new bills arrived today.

Pretty steep, and the council rates, which previously incorporated these rates, have not come down too much. Apparently our total rates and water rates for the West Coast are up 16% this year.

You won't be able to pass these rates on for a couple of years... here is an excerpt from a real estate industry fact sheet.

cheers

RightValue

What are the arrangements for tenants? Water and sewerage accounts will continue to be sent to property owners for at least the 2009-10 year and it will be the property owner’s responsibility to ensure the accounts are paid. People who rent their home (tenants) will not receive an account from a water corporation during this time. It is anticipated that from 2010-2011, water and sewerage accounts will start to transition to a user-pays model, similar to that in place for electricity in Tasmania and tenants will be responsible for the payment of their water and sewerage services.

Will landlords be required to deliver rental rate discounts to tenants once their tenants are paying for their water and sewerage services? Water corporations do not have any involvement in commercial arrangements between landlords and tenants.

http://www.cmwater.com.au/NWestWate...documents/Real Estate Industry Fact Sheet.pdf

Back