Telecommunication costs

Just wondering how much you pay in telecommunication costs each mth?

australia is just far too expensive compared to other countries.

Iprimus
phone rental $29.95
Phone bill $20.00 (cap for $50 value of calls)
Internet 40G $89.95 (we d/l a lot of content so it's worth it)
bundle savings -$10.00
RACQ card discount -$5.00

Total $125.00 (best deal I could find)

Virgin Mobile

2 X $30 a mth capped plans which includes $140 worth of calls which inc video calling, sms and international calls and free V2V calls and sms 24/7.
We also got 2 free Nokia 6110 Navigator mobiles worth $599 each on a 24 mth plan. If we cancel out of our plans after 6 mths we have to pay pro rate of $417/24mths. So after 6 mths we have to pay out $312.

I use about $250 a mth in calls and hubby uses about $20 so I alwasy use his phone to make calls when we're together or we have to swap phones.

So $185 all up a mth. It's the best deal I have found but it's stills o expensive so just wondering what everyone else is paying??

Before I got my act together, we were with Telstra and paying around $200 a mth in phone calls, $70 internet and $60 in prepaid cards and having to buy handsets outright. So stupid. Now with caps, I hardly use the home phone.

add: I can see myself adding to the cost in the future for data to surf the net on the mobile ...but it's just too expensive atm. $10 for 300mb from Virgin will only leave me wanting more and spending more. If data becomes cheaper than i can see it replacing ADSL because will be able to use their lap tops to surf the net through WIFI on the mobile.

Hi Sue

Can't help too much with the mobiles.

Our internet (ADSL2+) is through TPG. We pay $69.99/mth for 40GB during peak and 110GB off peak.

For the home phone we have the basic $20/mth package through telstra as we use VOIP (through pennytel) for all our calls (domestic, international, mobile). Not sure exactly how much VOIP costs us per month (very cheap though) as we purchase more credits when its getting low (can only remember having to do this once in the past 12 mths).

I agree - Australia is far more expensive than os!

We spend:

$20 line rental with Telstra
~$16 VOIP call costs (with mynetfone)
$80 internet cable bigpond
$60 mobile (2 phones)
-$10 bundle
=====
~$166/month.

(We saved about $50/month by switching to VOIP.)

For the mobiles I have my husband on the "Bean counter" with Virgin Mobile.
https://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/bean_counter.html
It's only 10c a minute and 10c a SMS.
I also Us VoiP for landline calls. I am on the Whirlpool plan with MyNetFone and it's 10c untimed to all of Australia and 15c a min to mobiles charged per second.
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool
I am still stuck with Helstra for the phone line, but am on the Budget line rental for about $20 a month.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Eastlink $99.00 /month
Phone Free local calls
internet cable, no limit, probably 100GB /month streaming the kids xbox playstation games and watching movies
612 tv channels

Just wondering how much you pay in telecommunication costs each mth?

australia is just far too expensive compared to other countries.

Iprimus
phone rental $29.95
Phone bill $20.00 (cap for $50 value of calls)
Internet 40G $89.95 (we d/l a lot of content so it's worth it)
bundle savings -$10.00
RACQ card discount -$5.00

Total $125.00 (best deal I could find)

Naked DSL?
http://iinet.net.au/products/naked/plans.html

Free local and national untimed calls Australia-wide

Cheers,

The Y-man

$80 cap for vodafone mobile ($550 worth of calls a month)
$20 for landline rental (just changed back to telstra as they have the cheapest line rental)
$50 internet with TPG (adsl2, 30gb + 500 mins free on voip every month)

total = 150pcm

all calls anywhere in oz = 10cents flat rate, i also call o'seas a lot at .086 cents a minute.

I also agree we get ripped off over here!

How reliable is VIOP? A friend in Mt Gambier used it and it sounded really bad (line quality and drop outs)....

How reliable is VIOP? A friend in Mt Gambier used it and it sounded really bad (line quality and drop outs)....

All of our office phones are VOIP - depends a lot on packet shaping. Without proper balancing (with other data), they can break up or drop out.

I have never tried the domestic ones yet (other than things like skype)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Sue,

One of the best value phone + internet packages is offered by exetel.
http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2.php

I pay $75/m for the telephone line and 60G of faaast ADSL2+ downloads
If you don't download much you can take their 56G/month plan and pay $65/month including phone line.

We make all calls on VOIP with mynetfone.com.au

You can buy from them a VOIP adaptor and cordless phone for $20 with $20 of calls included.
Here is the link to their specials.
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/new-year-voip-hardware-special-offers/

I am on the whirlpool saver plan and it's the best one around
Calls are $10c untimed nationwide to landlines and 15c/min to mobiles.
Here is a link to their special offer.
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/whirlpool
Just tell them you are a Whirlpool forum member if they question it you can always join whirlpool, it takes a couple of minutes online and it's free.

When you get your free DID number you have the option to choose any local area code in Aust. For example you can be in Sydney but have a Melbourne Number so your relatives from Melbourne can call you for the cost of a local call.

Calls between netfone numbers are free so you can get 2 VOIP adaptors at
$20 each, give 1 to your mate over in Perth and call each other for free forever...:)

The VOIP adaptor plugs straight into your router and has 2 phone outlets so you can plug 2 phones into it.
Call quality is better than analogue but you need to have a good ISP
and fast internet. On my ADSL2+ exetel (20Mb) plan it works very well.
On the ADSL1 plan (512Kb) I had a couple of years ago it was working but at times we had delays and echo. I haven't tried ADSL1 in recent times.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back