Telemarketers, computers & human biology

What do telemarketers, computers and human biology have in common ?

I get a ph call where after a long pause an Indain voice answers to tell me they are rom the technical department of e-protection, I say "who ?", he repeats himself and moves on to say I say "Who, I didn't hear who you're from ?, he repeats I say "Who ?" over him, he hangs up.... all sorted I think and sink back into the lounge.

An hour or so later, a nice lady from the same company rang me. So I say "OK"... She continues to explain that her records tell her that I have a computer, is that correct

"Yes", I say, I have a computer ! How did you know that ?! WOW ")

She contrinues to tell me now that there are lots of infections on the internet, which invariably get downloaded onto windows computers..

I say "Ohhhhh" ..

"Yes", she tells me, "that's the reason I am calling you.. "

I say " Like viruses ? "...

She explains, "No these are infections, not viruses"...

I say "oooh, I know !!! Is that because viruses are differnt to infections ? they are aren't they ? like viruses are like airborne in the air.. I remember .......that from school"

She asks "Are you in front of your computer ?"

I say " I can see my computer "

I say " Yes, it's just over there "

I say "Are germs & bacteria like infections and viruses , They're different too aren't they ? Yeah I remmeber that from human biology at highschool.."

She says something like "ah yes the",

I say "The flu is a virus. Isn't it ? You can't catch a flu by getting wet & cold, cause it's a VIRUS. I know that form human biology, I did human biology at highschool. Is a bacteria a virus or a germ ? Are you a doctor ?"

then she hung up without answering me Why would she do that ? :confused:

One time a telemarketer rang me at work. I hung up on him straight away and he rang me back really upset and asked why I hung up on him, so I hung on him again.

One time a telemarketer rang me at work. I hung up on him straight away and he rang me back really upset and asked why I hung up on him, so I hung on him again.

when I was a telemarketer, I used to ring people like you back & hang up on you. Numerous times each. That taught them a lesson.. I had so much fun doing that.

Stupid job though, targets were way unrealistic, I could never reach them and there was, as you can clearly see, no obvious reason why

I've had about 5 of these calls just in the last month. Makes you wonder how many are on the phones doing this scamming 'job'.

The only thing that makes them hang up immediately is telling them you don't have a computer.

I've even had one guy who got a decent whistle blow (with a whistle) not hang up on me :confused:.

They're persistent bu&&ers. Oh, and I've had them get short with me for not getting on with the job of fixing my computer fast enough.

Didn't you know that if you wrap your disks and USB drives in plastic before you insert them, you don't get viruses OR infections!!

Handy hint, that! ;)

PS. Love the story.

I've had about 5 of these calls just in the last month. Makes you wonder how many are on the phones doing this scamming 'job'.

The only thing that makes them hang up immediately is telling them you don't have a computer.

I've even had one guy who got a decent whistle blow (with a whistle) not hang up on me :confused:.

They're persistent bu&&ers. Oh, and I've had them get short with me for not getting on with the job of fixing my computer fast enough.

Oh she meant business.. you could tell in her voice, that she was busy, what she was doing was important and that she was genuinely trying to help me.

Which she did.

She reminded me of the difference between a virus and an infection and Mr Conerlius in year 11 Human Biology

If she rings again, I'll tell her of Mr Cornelius and how he is to thank for me understanding her when she reminded that viruses and infections are different, fo which I will thank her also.

I would have told her this time if she wasn't so busy that she had to go and take another call before she finished mine.

Hopefully she will call back soon.

Didn't you know that if you wrap your disks and USB drives in plastic before you insert them, you don't get viruses OR infections!!

Handy hint, that! ;)

PS. Love the story.

It's not a story.

It's true.

Unlike your plastic wrap advice. Does anyone know of alternative way to connect equipment to a laptop besides via the USB points ?

haha - I got one of those the other day. You're more patient then me. I just yelled at them that I knew they were a scam and to p%ss off.

They haven't rung back yet.

Next time you should do what my Mother does and use a boat's foghorn :cool: - but make sure you quickly tell the rest of your household to block their ears before you press. You never know, you just may learn how to say the 'f-bomb' many times over in Indian.

There's also that 'do not call' register as well as getting a silent number. The $2.50 per month I pay for a silent number is money well spent. I have not received a call from these annoying pests in years (which is kind of boring seeing as I too have a foghorn in the garage :().

Taught them a lesson in what jaycee?

As per the rest of that post

Stupid job though, targets were way unrealistic, I could never reach them and there was, as you can clearly see, no obvious reason why

I say the answer is self evident who won in the end wouldn't you ?

Next time you should do what my Mother does and use a boat's foghorn :cool: - but make sure you quickly tell the rest of your household to block their ears before you press. You never know, you just may learn how to say the 'f-bomb' many times over in Indian.

There's also that 'do not call' register as well as getting a silent number. The $2.50 per month I pay for a silent number is money well spent. I have not received a call from these annoying pests in years (which is kind of boring seeing as I too have a foghorn in the garage :().

The line on these phone calls is so bad on my end with a long delay that I ca only assume its the smae on their end. I only get them once in a blue moon so I don't mind helping them out for a bit. :D

Rofl... is this foghorn similar to the type they use as a siren in sports? If so I want one.

As for the 'do not call' register the tech assistance callers are from India so that wouldn't stop them. I should register to get the Australian ones to stop ringing though.

I've had so many 'tech' calls lately that i'm past having fun playing games with them (unless someone has some new ideas of devious games I can play :D). I just tell them now that i haven't got a computer.

Still confused my man! You taught them a lesson by hanging up on them? Was that it? I can see how that might be slightly annoying, but otherwise... no lessons learnt!

You're not seeing it cause I don't think you want to believe in it.

Unlike you I beleive my point has been well proven

Rofl... is this foghorn similar to the type they use as a siren in sports? If so I want one.

:D Yes! That would be them *evil laughter*.

Good point about the 'do not call' register only being for Australia, but now I'm miffed as to why I don't receive any calls from India (not that I'm complaining) :confused:. Maybe I have the word 'WARNING' in bold red text next to my number after my little antics with the foghorn?

:D Yes! That would be them *evil laughter*.

Good point about the 'do not call' register only being for Australia, but now I'm miffed as to why I don't receive any calls from India (not that I'm complaining) :confused:. Maybe I have the word 'WARNING' in bold red text next to my number after my little antics with the foghorn?

The Indian ones are the ones scamming funds - lying about being techies from Microsoft usually, and getting you to get into get into your computer while they navigate you. Their line is usually bad and they can't properly pronounce the city or town they're ringing from.

Mostly they ask for your Credit Card details for work done (supposedly), and rob you that way, but i have heard tampering with bank accounts happens less frequently too.

I don't know why they ring me so often. It started a few months ago with the occasional call but lately I get them a lot.

Back