Tenant changed property from a 3 bed to a 2 bedroom

Today was a total shock.

We had issued our tenant notice we were not renewing his lease, when his cheques bounced today. His lease expires automatically in 3 weeks, so no big deal.

I had a couple of interested parties, so Rob and I scheduled a viewing today.
When the door locks had been changed, we were stunned. he had put on a new door and lock. At least the other door was stilled keys to our locks.

We entered to find a mess. The carpet in the loungeroom was stained terribly. Mattresses up against the wall in the hallway. Then we saw it. The wall partian had been removed, and wires hanging everywhere.

We called the Director of Residential Tenancies. She said based on the info we provided, she didn't have an issue for declaring the tenancy over and changing the locks.
We called the RCMP, but they wouldn't do anything.When a tenant damages property, it is a RTA problem.

We changed the locks, went to where the tenant worked, handed him his medication (director stated to allow tenant access for medication) and a letter stating he has 4 hours to collect his dogs in the yard. He needs to contact us to allow access to gather his belongings.

Tenant just called and we are meeting with him shortly.

The applicants we were showing couldn't figure out how anyone can live like that. I told them we see lots of things most people wouldn't believe.

Only good thing, the rent is increasing for new applicants.
One party was still interested, when it came available.
We are waiting for our handyman to call back, to get started.

hmmmmm where did you find this tenant?
Did you select him with reference and background verification?
Or was it a case of- quick rent/limit the vacancy and a what can possibly happen mentality?
Sounds like a lot of renovations to be completed in a short amount of time?
When was the last inspection?

Out of my 11 years of property investment I have never had a tenant carry out renovations, modify the floorpan or even stop paying rent!
Hmmmm now you've got down time while repairs and things get done too.... that's terrible. I would be embarrassed to show a property to prospective tenants in that state...... Then I guess I've always looked after my carefully chosen tenants, so there really hasn't been a reason to turn bad!!!
My PM is a godsend to be honest!!

Good luck with it

That's quite exraordinary.

That being said I do get the impression that your tenants are at the bottom of the ladder socioeconomically (and in this case mentally) so I am sure you factor in added maintenance.

hmmmmm where did you find this tenant?
Did you select him with reference and background verification?
Or was it a case of- quick rent/limit the vacancy and a what can possibly happen mentality?
Sounds like a lot of renovations to be completed in a short amount of time?
When was the last inspection?

Out of my 11 years of property investment I have never had a tenant carry out renovations, modify the floorpan or even stop paying rent!
Hmmmm now you've got down time while repairs and things get done too.... that's terrible. I would be embarrassed to show a property to prospective tenants in that state...... Then I guess I've always looked after my carefully chosen tenants, so there really hasn't been a reason to turn bad!!!
My PM is a godsend to be honest!!

Good luck with it

Maybe you need to read some previous posts by Kathryn and her partner Almostbob

They have a special style of self managed properties some of which you can view by following their link

Cheers

Maybe you need to read some previous posts by Kathryn and her partner Almostbob

They have a special style of self managed properties some of which you can view by following their link

Cheers

They also have multiple tenancies. Many more than the average investor with multiple properties. The law of averages dictates that the more tenants you have, then the more problematic ones you will encounter.

Yes, your right Skater.
We always have a few "bad apples" but never had one actually tear down a wall.

This tenant has 2 jobs, so ahead of most tenants.

We are increasing the rent 12 %, so I'm not completely unhappy.
The handyman is coming in the morning to start repairing.
Should be able to get some new floor covering in 2 bedrooms and the loungeroom...courtesy of the outgoing tenant.

Today..this week actually..has been bit stressful..so thought I'd have a bit of a vent. :)

He did install a set of new patio doors and an entry door, and fly screen door...without permission. We will permit them to stay :)

I wasn't embarressed showing the property. We didn't do anything wrong. We mentioned to the applicants viewing the property, we hadn't been in there for awhile. It was actually great they were there...we have 2 independant witnesses.

Maybe the tenant's cooking spices had permeated the wall so it had to be removed? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
We called the Director of Residential Tenancies. She said based on the info we provided, she didn't have an issue for declaring the tenancy over and changing the locks.

At least in this case you don't have to spend the next month fighting to evict them.
One reason I like brick, even after a tenant took a hammer to the walls a bit of filler and you could not tell.

At least in this case you don't have to spend the next month fighting to evict them.
One reason I like brick, even after a tenant took a hammer to the walls a bit of filler and you could not tell.

He has refused to take his furniture and belongings until after the hearing on Thursday. He came and got the dogs and 3 boxes of clothes yesterday.
We are going to the property in an hour. I wonder if he came back last night...

All that crap is in the way of trying to get it back in a rentable state.
I'd like to be able to throw it on the lawn, but that is illegal.
Probably end up moving it from one room to another, while work is being completed.

While it is an unusual case of tenant 'renovation', lesser changes are not uncommon.

Gold Coast - after her husband died, a mature age tenant had her 'practical' but untrained friend build a 5mX4m awning in secondhand Cliplock steel over a paved outdoor garden area. The friend used plenty of concrete nails and fastenings onto the house barge board and the tall decorative brick walls. He then drilled the brick of the house and surrounding walls to screw in plastic anchors and hooks to hang umpteen ornaments. House guttering displaced and plenty of silastic and other remedies for the resulting leaks and a deluge collecting next to the brick walls.

What could you do, she was then a War Widow and we had been keeping rent low for years for her former husband and her. So we forgot the Bond as owners often do, then removed and patched as best we could. Taking the structure down was slow and dangerous, the supports were sagging (timber too light and too spaced). It was fortunate that being in an area that was designed for outside sun and privacy, the walls had so far prevented wind uplift from destroying the structure. You could move it with two fingers though. Flying lengths of Cliplock, anyone?

Renovations are not that uncommon unfortunately, a rather common one is renovating to set up a drug operation. We actually have a current claim where the tenant has completely rewired the property in prapration of setting up in an outside shed, but I remember one from some years back where they completely renovated inside to set up growing marijuana hydroponically.

There have also been plenty of cases of repainting, but I remember one where the tenant repainted the entire interior black. And another recent one where the tenant put in a new kitchen without permission but when they moved out they found that it didn't actually fit properly, so had to be torn out and replaced.

Renovations are not that uncommon unfortunately

A reno is one thing, but this guy was doing structural damage. The roof was collapsing.
The carpenter has been there 3 days now. The supporting walls are up, walls and built in robes are back in place. Three bedrooms again. The primer coat of paint is on the walls.

We have also allowed the tenant 3 days of access to get his belongings. At first he wasn't going to, but decided he knew he will lose in court.Today is his first hearing, and tonight he will hopefully have all his belongings.
Rob hascourt even helped him move some heavy things, as he doesn't have anyone helping him.

Back