Tenant has installed new tv antenna

Folks

Just drove past my IP this afternoon and notice that there is a new tv antenna on the roof, and the old antenna is sitting next to the garbage bin on the ground.

I haven't had any requests for this from the PM (not that I blame the PM).

Old antenna was mounted on the eves/facia. The new antenna is mounted onto the roof, there are a couple of supports bolted onto or through tiles (or so it appears form the road).

I'm NOT happy that this has been done without permission. I'm concerned that (1) the work might be might be shoddy and have been done by unlicensed and uninsured workers, and if damage has occurred then I have no recourse; and (2) the tenant might remove it when they leave, damaging the property and leaving the house without any antenna at all.

Thoughts?

Email your PM with what you have seen and ask for them to investigate.

Yes that's what I'm doing on Tuesday (never thought I'd complain about a public holiday on Monday).

As for the lease saying the property has to be returned to the same condition: the lease also says that the tenant CANNOT make any changes to the property without permission.

Like I said, my concern is that the installation might make problems down the track, like say roof leaks that let water in and cause mould.

Probably more important to findout if the PM authorised the works and if it has come out of your pocket - tenant may have requested that the antenna did not work and as it was a relatively cheap item that it was replaced under the agent's delegated authority. This was not emergency work - so don't let them use that excuse.

On the plus side - TV aerials are considered fixtures. Have the PM write to the tenant thanking him for his gift of a new antenna and advising him that it cannot be removed at the end of the lease.
A.

Back