Tenant raided by police

I have a small block of units which one unit was raided by a dozen fully kitted up police officers from a capital city 1000k's away.

Security door ripped off. Locked destroyed front door destroyed. Front gates destroyed. Inside looks the same with pieces of glass and french door all over the place. I would have handed over the key if they wanted access with out a problem. Police tell me damage isn't there problem and to get the money from the tenants who I assume are either arrested or been questioned.

I am more concerned about if they return and what to do rather than the damages. I parents live on the block and I have just rented one unit to a young female uni student as well.

Another tenant just vacated saying they were scared of the people next door.

How do I get rid of them? They are up to date with there rent. Police have told me to be-careful of them but nothing else.

Advice most welcome

If the tenants are paying their rent and looking after the property then I don't see a problem. I would be more concerned about the police returning and trashing your property. In cases like this (home invasion) you'd normally call the police but if the police are acting like thugs then ???.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If police damage your property during a search, you won't necessarily be compensated, especially if the warrant allows forced entry, or police find drugs or other evidence of an offence during the search.
However, if you unfairly suffer loss due to police conduct towards your property, contact the senior police officer involved in the matter.
Police don't have to tidy up after searching your property. However, if you think police made an unreasonable mess during a search on purpose, you can make a complaint, by going to your local police station."

- this is from QLD government website.

Looks like you'll need to speak to your insurer, check your policy, and check your relevant states website. Good luck with it all too.

When is their lease up? Tell them now you won't be renewing lease as you'll be moving in and renovating and have tradies booked.

Lease has 10 months to go unfortunately.

Yeah I understand I have to cop the damage on the chin but I do want them gone no matter what.

If the tenants are paying their rent and looking after the property then I don't see a problem. I would be more concerned about the police returning and trashing your property. In cases like this (home invasion) you'd normally call the police but if the police are acting like thugs then you might have to become a vigilante.

Yea, because they get warrants to force entry into innocent peoples homes all the time :rolleyes:

Yea, because they get warrants to force entry into innocent peoples homes all the time :rolleyes:

Come to Qld. Happens all the time. Were the tenants charged? If not I'd be talking to the chief of police about compo. You have a duty to ensure the premises are reasonably secure.

Ask to see a copy of the warrant. Get the name of the JP who signed off on it and ring him/her- or book a visit and ask to see their notebook (which most keep) to see what they were told to make them issue the warrant if you want to find out what it's all about.
Coppers won't say "boo" although you may get some info from a Right to Information application.

I more inclined to go with the warning from the police who told me these people are dangerous rather than worry about seeing the warrant.

Do I have grounds for an Abandonment notice? I have no idea were they are I just assumed arrested or in jail

Currently the security door is in pieces in the yard and the front door smashed to pieces as well.

So long as they keep paying their rent you will have to honour the lease.

It would be in your best interests to secure the unit to prevent vandalism. If you have no contact with the tenants a locksmith can key the new lock so their keys still work.

Keep a close eye on rent payments and start issuing notices the minute you are legally able to.
Marg

They have been released by the police.

I have politely asked them to move on. Naturally they aren't happy and haven't exactly had a good day. Hopefully they move on. If not I have some reasons to breach. Dog in the house. Person living there not on lease. They have to fix the damage caused by the police.

Time will tell.

I am more concerned about if they return and what to do rather than the damages.

Righto then, won't suggest anything regarding the damages.

They have been released by the police.

You're in for a painful 10 months. Your rights as a residential Landlord against a Tenant are pretty thin at the best of times....let alone up against one who pays their full rent on time.

You haven't confirmed as yet, but I can only presume you (or you via your PM)signed them up again only 2 months ago on a normal 12 month lease. If that is the case, you haven't been keeping your finger on the pulse enough.

parents live on the block

Couldn't ask for a better set of eyes and ears on the ground acting as Johnny-on-the-spot.....were you absolutely clueless about these Tenants before signing them up ??

Another tenant just vacated saying they were scared of the people next door.

Looks like you've had plenty of warning signs.

Righto then, won't suggest anything regarding the damages.

You're in for a painful 10 months. Your rights as a residential Landlord against a Tenant are pretty thin at the best of times....let alone up against one who pays their full rent on time.

You haven't confirmed as yet, but I can only presume you (or you via your PM)signed them up again only 2 months ago on a normal 12 month lease. If that is the case, you haven't been keeping your finger on the pulse enough.

Couldn't ask for a better set of eyes and ears on the ground acting as Johnny-on-the-spot.....were you absolutely clueless about these Tenants before signing them up ??

Looks like you've had plenty of warning signs.

The issue with the other tenant only came about last week. Clueless? How so?. Did normal checks and they were all clear. Paid bond and rent in full. Seemed like ok people but you never do know until they move in.
Ive been renting out places for over 10 years. Had a pretty good run but have never experienced anything like this.

Police came two weeks ago and said careful these people are dangerous.

Don't see how the finger could be any further on the pulse? Could you explain what I did wrong?

police_c_290997.jpg

police-bait-donuts_c_332493.jpg

Thank-You-Police-Officer-But-I-Have-All-I-Need-Funny-Conversation-Picture.jpg

Could you explain what I did wrong?

Read the excellent reply from cu@atthetop.
It looks like you tried your best to do everything right but now the police are harassing your tenants and damaging your property. You should take photos of all the damage and document what the police have done. Put a claim in for compensation from the head honcho at the station if the tenants haven't been charged. What's to stop them from coming back and destroying more property and scaring your other tenants?

I also completely disagree that its my place to complain to the police. If the tenants wish to ask for compensation its up to them not me.

Of course I have documented the damage.

I also completely disagree that its my place to complain to the police. If the tenants wish to ask for compensation its up to them not me.
Of course I have documented the damage.

It was your door so unless you are going to hit the tenants up for it then it is your loss as I see it.

Yes I am asking the tenant to pay for all damage as per advice from the police.

Hang on- the coppers smash down the door- and as far as you know there have been no arrests- and then they tell you to hit the tenant up to repair it (no doubt so the coppers don't have to do the paperwork).

This is exactly the "never admit fault " attitude that is exhibited by the Qld Police Service that led me to make the comments about why they are not automatically entitled to "respect" that were deleted from my earlier post.

Get some lawyer advice: and here is some free : go the coppers- but if it is all too hard then get your insurer to fix it for less than the cost of your excess.

Back