Tenant request to paint the house

Hi,

I have a tenant request to repaint the house for us.

In return they would like to reduce the rent in exchange the labour expense.

what do you guys think ?

what do i have to watch out for ?

what's the pro and con for this ?

Unless you have evidence of them being able to paint well, no.

And even then, no reduced rent in return for them painting it.

Absolutely don't let them do this.

Unless they know what they are doing, you could be reducing their rent in exchange for them reducing the value of your house :eek:.

Could bring up a lot of issues. What if they fall off the ladder etc. I've found in the long run its better to do it by the book for peace of minds sake.

I once had a tenant paint my house without my knowledge (it was in England). It was not a good job at all.

If it needs repainting get it done professionally. Or do it yourself if you think you can do it properly (and many people who think they can, can't. Myself included).

Unless they can paint, don't do it.

And even then, as someone pointed out, what happens if they fall off a ladder?

If you do let them paint, I wouldn't be reducing the rent.

No absolutely not.

Once bitten, forever shy.

We agreed to drop 2 weeks rent in return for retiling the bathroom. The guy is a builder but go figure this....the bathroom is only half tiled and has been now for 2 years and have not seen him for 12 months leaving us with a single mother with daughter.

Got to give it to the mother though, she pays up each week but the property suffers from gross untidyness long lawns etc.

Needless to say his bond will never be returned as it is all documented on paper.

No! No!

Never!

In saying that though, I do have to mention that I have a tenant that is a painter by trade. Been with us for nearly 10 years now. He paints the place nearly every year.......BUT HE'S A PAINTER, and I don't give ANY discount for rent at all.

In fact, he didn't ask if he could paint the place and I would normally spit chips, but the first time he did it, we turned up for some maintenance issue while he was doing it. PM had warned us, so we were prepared to let him know that it was a no go, but he did a great job. Now, he just paints whenever he feels like it.

He's the best tenant we've got! He treats the place like his own & PM reckons he's never going to leave.

normally I would say no,

but I have a tenant who pays his rent late by a few days everymonth (only 6 months in though)

who asked if I could provide him paint to paint the house,

since then he has gardened the yards, fixed gutters,even gave me receipts for his purchases so I could use as a tax deduction and refused to be reimbursed for them!

wish they were all like that

Considering the skill required for painting and the time needed, I would never give tenants permission to paint. Sounds like the start of a terrible valuation result thread.

And to ask for a rent reduction as reimbursement, ha!

I have reimbursed the cost of paint only. paints pretty cheap, and as already mentioned, some tenants then treat the property better and make other improvements.

Ive also reimbursed some funds for gardens. no labour, but new rose bushes, stuff like that.

We have had tenants do internal painting at their request.

We pay for the paint on the condition we approve the colour, they do it for free.

I would no longer allow it in case of injury.
Marg

Never in a pink fit! The insurance hassles alone if something happens is enough to make me stay away. Even if they are professional painters and do it as a paid job (ie your rent reduction or whatever), I'd still be loath to do it.

I don't disagree with the almost unanimous sentiments here.

But let's look at this a bit closer, assuming a great paint job, with your preferred colours. If you were to do this during a rental vacancy, you would expect an increase in both valuation and rental. You would also be able to claim 2.5% depreciation for the paint. Capital outlay for an increase in yield. Let's say you spent $1000 on painting and your rent could be increased by $20pw. Payback in one year with some small change depreciation benefits. The increase in value for internal paint job, with nothing else, maybe $5000, if that, but is that of real benefit for a reval? No

Your tenants do an equally great job and your yield actually reduces based on their offer to you. Again, maybe value increases, but whats' the real benefit to you, other than knowing its been repainted.

If you do want them to do it, and they are a painter, you would setup an agreement, having them have the requisite insurances, qualify standards of finish and payment (as in reduced rent) only after your approval of the works have been completed in a workmanlike manner. If they are not a painter, then I would say, would you hire someone to paint your house who has not painted. Really, its messy.

If you want it painted and updated, wait until they vacate and do it yourself or get a handy person/painter to do it.

NO WAY!!!

In my line of work ive seen dodgy painters paint more than just the walls!!! There was that much paint splatter all over the brand new kitchen and tiled floor it cost my client hundreds to clean it!!!

Not to mention it can easily lead to reduced property value and therefor less rental return next time.

I admire your tenants request, but if they want cheaper rent, move to a lesser property.:cool:

That reminded me.

When I was a young fella at high school (many many moons ago) I had a holiday job painting (host family when I was an exchange student). We painted the outside of an office building.

Plus spray painted a few of the cars parked nearby.

That cost him a helluva lot more than our pay.

Hi,

I have a tenant request to repaint the house for us.

In return they would like to reduce the rent in exchange the labour expense.

what do you guys think ?

what do i have to watch out for ?

what's the pro and con for this ?

I let my tenants in Shellharbour paint my rental house a few years ago- they destroyed the place. Terrible over-paint onto skirting boards and architraves. In the end I had to pay a painter when they left. Cost me thousands :(

Unless they're painters, I'd think twice OR ask them to put their bond up as security, get them to do say 2x rooms and then go and see if it's ok?

Brazen.

Hello eveyone!

Hello everybody,

I am very happy to be part of this great community. I really hope to find other members with the same interests like mine. Until the next time, bye...

Back