Tenant wants a credit for two baths full of water??

Don't forget to also offer her a few cents for the electricity used to run the electric eel... and maybe the doorbell when the plumber arrived?

If she was my tenant, she isn't getting a renewal.

Assuming she pays the rent why not? It wasn't her kids that shoved the toys down there.

She reported the flooding fault (apparently promptly).

A lot of neagativity towards tenants in this post.

Let me ask it this way: If you went to the petrol station and filled up for $19.94 and handed over a twenty. The cashier take it and does not give you change. What would you do?

A lot of negativity towards tenants in this post.

These posts aren't demeaning to tenants, they're just having some fun at their expense - another words they're taking the mickey - I'm sure most of us have been tenants at some stage and it's just funny - It's the Aussie way, after all!:)

Assuming she pays the rent why not? It wasn't her kids that shoved the toys down there.

She reported the flooding fault (apparently promptly).

A lot of neagativity towards tenants in this post.

Let me ask it this way: If you went to the petrol station and filled up for $19.94 and handed over a twenty. The cashier take it and does not give you change. What would you do?

Man, who gives a flying **** about a couple of bucks? It's not worth the time/effort involved to chase it up.

well I had my tenant ask me for a water tank to be installed so they can keep on watering the garden.

I explained that water is $1 per 1000ltrs, and would not use more than 30c a week to water the garden.. which ends up to be for their enjoyment anyway..

so why would I spend $1000 to save my tenant 30c a week during summer!

re

haha, you guys are so cruel.... NOT.

I guess this is one of the reason why she is renting and you are the landlord.

Warrenkh.2010

I explained that water is $1 per 1000ltrs, and would not use more than 30c a week to water the garden.. which ends up to be for their enjoyment anyway..
This always irks me about water restrictions - electricity is horrendously expensive but noone tells you to turn your outdoor lights off except on alternate Sundays. Water is ridiculously cheap but you aren't allowed to use it. If they really wanted people to cut back on usage it would cost more. Its a save the planet thing not a save the hip pocket thing.

That said, I'll be spending $2700 on a (very large) tank when we build a new house so we have the option to run the showers off it down the track. Not for cost reasons, but because rainwater showers are just soooooooooo NICE!

This thread reminds me a few month back when I had to remove a
small tree from a rental property using a petrol chainsaw.
The tenant is still telling neighbours how much extra she had to pay
when her electricity bill arrived.
The neighbours see the funny side of it and keep telling her to take it further.

This thread reminds me a few month back when I had to remove a
small tree from a rental property using a petrol chainsaw.
The tenant is still telling neighbours how much extra she had to pay
when her electricity bill arrived.
The neighbours see the funny side of it and keep telling her to take it further.

Wow! Are some people really that clueless... If so, it amazes me they remember to eat!

I can't add a thing, its the funniest thread i have read all year, adding the cheque and perhaps a wavier, so she has to travel and sighn it , BC started it , but could you video tape it for us all to watch as she opens the cheque ! that would be gold!!

As for the petrol question from cu@thetop, is this going to become one of those: "It's the principle" things? I think that's going to waste a lot of your time in business and property if you keep trying to challenge the way the world is, and get over it when there really is no difference. "But they're winning!!" some people then cry. Who cares? It really makes no difference unless you apply the same standard of small cents thinking across your life, which will cost a lot of dollars.

SO, if the attendant pockets the 5cents, I'd chuckle, shake my head and find another service station.

Let's do the math:

Average Aussie bathtub: 140 litres.
Two of Each which were 2/3 full = (2/3)*2*140 = 186.66litres
10% Margin of error = 186.66*1.1 = 205.3333...
Water rate = $1.87/kilolitre
Total cost of water = 38.39733333333.... cents

Let's be generous and round up to 39 cents...

LOL, also include a list of calculations.

But seriously, when people feel their intelligence is being insulted (regardless of what they've done to invite such ridicule) they defend their ego and start doing things that are either more stupid or designed to hurt you. So maybe a gentle phone call is the way to go.

So for our entertainment, send the check, but for your sake, don't.

As for the petrol question from cu@thetop, is this going to become one of those: "It's the principle" things? I think that's going to waste a lot of your time in business and property if you keep trying to challenge the way the world is, and get over it when there really is no difference. "But they're winning!!" some people then cry. Who cares? It really makes no difference unless you apply the same standard of small cents thinking across your life, which will cost a lot of dollars.

SO, if the attendant pockets the 5cents, I'd chuckle, shake my head and find another service station.

Let's do the math:

Average Aussie bathtub: 140 litres.
Two of Each which were 2/3 full = (2/3)*2*140 = 186.66litres
10% Margin of error = 186.66*1.1 = 205.3333...
Water rate = $1.87/kilolitre
Total cost of water = 38.39733333333.... cents

Let's be generous and round up to 39 cents...

LOL, also include a list of calculations.

But seriously, when people feel their intelligence is being insulted (regardless of what they've done to invite such ridicule) they defend their ego and start doing things that are either more stupid or designed to hurt you. So maybe a gentle phone call is the way to go.

In this case I was looking at it from the tenants point of view. I agree from a landlord's point of view it is a waste of time but I would not waste my time thinking of ways to stuff the tenant around. If the tenant makes a fair claim - pay it. There are tenants a thousand times worse then this one so I was surprised some would not renew and others were devising diabolical (if not amusing) ways of discouraging future performances from the tenants.

I agree with your response on the 5cents of petrol but you will note that you indicated retributive consequences (ie boycott the business leading to loss of income). In this case the tenant similarly may leave and you are wearing a vacancy for 1 week (loss= $300.00).

I view tenants as helping me on my way to retirement so I afford them some respect on that basis alone.

I agree the tenant is being a bit of a dill but I can also see their point.

Don't worry, we have no plan on sending a cheque, but it is a delicious idea. Because of the nature of this tenant, we will possibly make a note on the water account that we have taken $1 off the final account to account for any water used in the clearing of the drain.

My instinct is to forget it, but I think they will bring it up when the bill comes, going on past experience with them. I don't think they have any idea that the "wasted" water is only worth 39 cents at most. We won't be evicting them either.

make it 50c ... and with the note show the calculations, so that she can see that you are being generous. if you just put down the $1 with no explanation she will jump up and down believing it was worth more.

been there done that ... and by showing the calcs, they can see it is not personal (who can argue with basic math) and that demands for more are not justified.

So true...and at the end of the day, they are in your property - why give them any reason to consciously or subconsciously do any sort of damage to it...agreed though, this is hilarious, but there are some people who really are that clueless until presented with the facts in an ordered, non-insulting way...

Back