Tenant wants air con

In a few weeks we settle on a nice 1980s house in Brisbane's west, near the river. The house has a good size split-system airconditioner in the open-plan lounge/dining room/kitchen area and a second airconditioner in the main bedroom. There's no cooling in the rest of the house, though it is elevated (due to being on a slope) and gets cooling breezes.

The PM we've engaged to find tenants for us suggested putting an air conditioner in the remaining three bedrooms at around $1600 each :eek:. We feel that a ceiling fan in each bedroom would be sufficient (around $250 each). The house is in a nice suburb and should get a high rent; given this, do we need to add any more air conditioners or are ceiling fans sufficient? I can't imagine a family happily paying the electricity bill for five air-cons!

Thanks in advance,
GG

If you can get enough rent to compensate you for the AC then I would do it, check what rent AC'd houses get and do your sums, if that doesn't add up then just put in fans.

Perhaps you can compare the local rental opposition and prices before making your decision, if something is open for rental inspection go and have a look :)

Could be interesting to estimate how many vacant weeks' rent would pay for aircon ?
And how often there is a change of tenants and include the cost of a changeover of tenants.
Cheers
crest133

Our tenants in Melbourne asked for air con after staying there for a year (2014) I was too honest and told them that I think I will put one in end of 2015 when we have the money, then they renewed the lease for another year and askied for an air con again.I suggested $10/week rent increase ( after reading what others has suggested to do), then they come back saying they will use their portable aircon for now and wait for me to install the air con end of this year. Now I am thinking if I could just provide a portable air con to the new ip we bought. it's cheaper and hassle free as long as the tenants don't break it or run away with it I suppose lol. Would be cheaper than installing aircon in every single bedroom?

Back